View Full Version : Sync with server (email only) and with local PC (everything else)?

jgrnt1
10-02-2007, 08:45 PM
This may take a little explaining, so I apologize in advance for the wordiness of this post. Our company has supported Blackberries for a long time and has just recently added WM device support (sort of). I have an AT&T 8525. Unlike the Blackberry, WM support comes from using our webmail as the server and we set it up ourselves (enter the server in ActiveSync, set encryption and enter login/password). We just need to have a PPC phone and a data plan, both of which I have.

Currently I sync my phone with my personal PC at home, not with my company laptop, so I do not sync with a server. The company does not require me to keep a calendar on the server, so I don't, because I keep a lot of personal stuff on the calendar -- kids' games and school events, wife's meetings, etc. These are important from a family perspective, but also from a schedule perspective, since I travel a lot and try to schedule my trips around these events. I currently DO NOT sync email at all.

Since the OS upgrade on the phone, I have been using ActiveSync on the company laptop, so I could use the phone with Internet Sharing. I sync nothing with the laptop, but needed ActiveSync to enable Internet Sharing (previously, I used Cingular Connection Manager). Now for the question(s):

Can I sync only email with the webmail server and continue to sync everything else with my home PC? I would like to continue to keep my calendar, contacts, tasks, notes and files on my personal PC, but enable email on the phone from the webmail server. If it makes a difference, my personal PC is running Vista, so I use WMDC instead of ActiveSync.

If I cannot do this, is there a way to sync everything locally and with the server?

My assumption is no to both questions, but I'm hoping somebody much more clever than me has done something like this.

Mark Kenepp
10-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Not sure if when you say "enable email on the phone from the webmail server" but if you mean Server ActiveSync, then yes, I do this myself. There is no problem with syncing just your email over Exchange Server ActiveSync and syncing all your other data through a direct connection to the PC.

One thing that will occur is that when you are syncing to a desktop PC locally, ActiveSync will still try and connect to the Exchange Server to sync the email but it is not a problem, if it can connect then it syncs, if not, then it will just tell you it is unable to connect.

jgrnt1
10-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what I mean. I'm just an amateur geek, not an IT person. :) The server address I'm being told to enter in ActiveSync on the PPC is the same one I use for Outlook webmail (webmail.xxxx.com). Since I have a Vista home PC, I don't use ActiveSync anymore, except for Internet Sharing with my company laptop.

If I go into ActiveSync Options on the PPC and uncheck everything but email (as I'm being instructed to do), will it still sync everything else when I sync with my home PC? If so, dos that mean the ActiveSync or WMDC settings on the PCs override the settings on the PPC?

Mark Kenepp
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM
If I go into ActiveSync Options on the PPC and uncheck everything but email (as I'm being instructed to do), will it still sync everything else when I sync with my home PC? If so, dos that mean the ActiveSync or WMDC settings on the PCs override the settings on the PPC?

First, I am assuming that you are using a Windows Mobile 5.0 device (though the process would be similar if not the same for any other version of Windows Mobile).

Second, I don't know anything about WMDC so I can't say if any of this is possible, if you are using it

on My HTC TyTN, I open ActiveSync, select Menu>Options...

Here I see two sets of items that can be synchronized. The first is labeled Exchange Server, the second is labeled Work Desktop (If I am not mistaken, this name was given when I set up the partnership so it could be named anything and I don't remember what the default name would be).

Under Exchange Server, I have checked only E-mail, under Work Desktop, I have checked everything else.

I don't understand how it would be different if you are using WMDC but I guess it could be.

I think, if you have not set up the server settings for ActiveSync, then you will not see the Exchange Server section in this options window.