View Full Version : How to connect to Internet, through WiFi; a problem

ioannis66
10-02-2007, 08:11 PM
How to connect to Internet, through WiFi

I'll explain exactly where i'm stack. This forum has threads that helped me a lot.

I have HTC P4350 with Windows Mobile 5.0 and my PC runs Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I connect to Broadband Internet using a usual wired ADSL modem/router by Siemens, VIA Ethernet.

My goal is to establish a WiFi connection from my pocket pc, to my desktop, through my new Linksys Wireless USB Network Adapter WUSB54G.
Then, share my files and connect to Internet from my pocket pc, sharing the existing Internet connection that my wired modem/router, gives me.

I have read almost all the walkthroughs about establishing a WiFi connection.
This is what i have accomplished at this time:
-->I am able to access a shared folder that is on my desktop's hard drive, using my HTC. So, that means that the WiFi settings are all ok.
BUT
-->when i run Internet Explorer on my pocket pc, it always says:
"Page not found", so i cannot access web sites.

I have tried everything. When using a USB cable to connect, even then, i couldn't browse web sites. But i found the solution, by downloading a registry fix for Windows Sync Center. So, using a USB cable, everything works fine.
Back to the WiFi now. I tried runnig \\Windows\welcome.exe, but no luck, tried a hard reset, made the same settings, but no luck either.I edited the Wireless Network settings from"Internet" to "Work" and yet nothing. In the connection settings i left the Proxy Server setting blank and checked the box about Internet connection.
In my desktop PC, I have already checked the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection".
I have also checked "Allow users to control or disable the shared Internet connection", and all the ICS services that the users can access, just to be sure.

Still no luck.
I even upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.0, thinking that it might help.
No luck...

Maybe there lies the solution:

I would like morer information on how to set
Ad-hoc mode with an Ethernet (wired) router

Please read and check my questions.
In this guide: http://wifi.aximsite.com/alternate.html, i do not understand some things:

1. "As an alternative to this setup, you can simply bridge the Ethernet (NIC) and wireless adapters on your PC. (The Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP will do this by default.) This allows your router to handle the DHCP functions for all the equipment."

How can i "bridge" the NIC and my wireless adapter in Windows Vista? What does bridge mean?

2. "With this setup, the Ethernet router will be handling all the Gateway and DNS activities which should shorten the time for connecting to websites. Even with this setup, it may be better to set a static IP on your wireless equipment which will allow you to enter your ISP's DNS numbers into your PPC."

If i pick 192.168.1.3 for my PPC, where do i insert this info? In what menu of Windows Mobile?

The point is that my WiFi connection is fine, because i can browse my shared files from my HTC, but the Internet Explorer of HTC seems not to understand that it needs to use WiFi or some ports, in order to give me web access.

I am asking for help.
What to do next?

At this time I am also writting an e-mail to HTC Customer Services about this, cause i really need WiFi access to Internet for my job.

Any help would be greately appreciated.
Thanks.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi ioannis66, welcome to PPCT! That's a heck of a first post! After reading through the whole thing, I can tell you two things:

1. You're not alone
2. You're pretty near the solution

First, ad-hoc connections won't resolve your connection problem with the router. That's actually a contradiction in terms - you use an ad-hoc (direct device to device) connection only in the absence of a router. It's a bit of a pain and can be fiddly with WM devices - going through a router is much to be preferred.

Second, the crux of your problem lies in one of the quirks in the Windows Mobile OS. Through a design decision that still has some long-time users scratching their heads, Microsoft split the connection manager in two around the time of the transition between PPC2002 and WM2003. That change has persisted until now. So your wifi network connection settings only manage the wifi aspects (encryption, keys, etc etc), but not the actual "network" aspects (IP, DNS, gateway etc etc). And then there is the infamous "work"/"internet" distinction.

Before I confuse you any further, let me illustrate what I think is happening. Don't bother with your wifi settings - it works, and is not the cause of the problem. Your issue lies in the connections manager - the network side of things as it were. The connections manager allows you to have two network settings active at any given time - the internet/work distinction I mentioned earlier. Now in the days when converged devices were rare, this limitation caused few problems - you hooked up your device via wifi or Activesync, and you'll have correct settings for accessing LAN or the internet depending on what is required.

When converged devices appeared, you suddenly had another option for accessing the internet - GPRS/EDGE/3G - which had completely different settings entirely. WM has not evolved far enough that it can manage a seamless transition between a wifi/LAN connection to the internet, and one used cellular data - in fact, you have to do this manually. The symptoms you're describing sound like this is the problem you're facing.

To resolve this try creating a blank network profile with an easy to remember name ("wifi" does nicely) in the connections manager, and switch to this profile whenever you want to access the internet through wifi. You will need to switch the profiles back if you want to use cellular data instead. Note that even if you don't subscribe to a cellular data line, most likely the autoconfiguration of the phone put this as the default internet option, which of course completely screws your LAN internet access.

Cybrid
10-08-2007, 06:56 PM
1. "As an alternative to this setup, you can simply bridge the Ethernet (NIC) and wireless adapters on your PC. (The Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP will do this by default.) This allows your router to handle the DHCP functions for all the equipment."

How can i "bridge" the NIC and my wireless adapter in Windows Vista? What does bridge mean?
Bridging is basically having your network adapters connected using a software bridge.
In your PC. Network options>
Highlight the two connections; right click and bridge. The PC then acts as as conduit for your incoming internet connection and redistributes it.
Router--Lan Card--WiFi Card-->Client. The client only sees the router.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/networkbridge.htm