View Full Version : Connecting to Secure Home Network

mtbmom
09-23-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm trying to connect at home here's what happens...

When I manually enter the network key, I run out of room before all 13 (26) hexidecimals are entered.

When I choose automatically, I get the wrong key. How does the ipaq know what the key is if its automatic. :roll:

I don't understand this in windows either. If I do it in windows, it gives me a file to print with the key written out, which I assume that I would enter into my router. However, my router also has an option for providing the key automatically with the pass phrase.

If I choose this option, where do I put the pass phrase in windows and/or the ipaq.

FYI: I have an ipaq rx1955 and a belkin 802.11b wireless router Model: F5D6231-4.

TIA!!!

Sue Z :D

schmenge
09-23-2007, 06:49 PM

When I manually enter the network key, I run out of room before all 13 (26) hexidecimals are entered.

When I choose automatically, I get the wrong key. How does the ipaq know what the key is if its automatic. :roll:

I don't understand this in windows either. If I do it in windows, it gives me a file to print with the key written out, which I assume that I would enter into my router. However, my router also has an option for providing the key automatically with the pass phrase.

If I choose this option, where do I put the pass phrase in windows and/or the ipaq.

FYI: I have an ipaq rx1955 and a belkin 802.11b wireless router Model: F5D6231-4.

TIA!!!

In my (limited) experience you will only use the pass phrase on the router you need the key for Windows and your PPC. Make sure you are using the same encryption type as your router (WEP or WPA). Even it it looks like you do not have room to enter your entire key I think you just keep entering and it will take.

bobcarter
09-30-2007, 10:14 PM
I had the same problem and I connected to a non secure network it works!!!! 8O

Cybrid
10-29-2007, 08:23 PM

TIA!!!

Re: Obtain key automatically;
Some routers can be set to broadcast the key temporarily while creating the network. The client device would request the key and receive it (makes connecting everything easier). This broadcast would be turned off later. Since it would defeat the purpose on encryption.
Many devices come with password generating abilities, Create one key on any device and copy to all devices including router.
Routers, PCs, PPCs don't understand passphrases. All passphrases get converted to a hexadecimal key. If there is no place to input the passphrase...The equivalent hex key will work.
As Schmenge said even if it looks like you ran out of room. key it in anyway. It should work