View Full Version : Share Your MVT: Most Valuable Tip!

Jon Westfall
09-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I remember how nervous I was the first time I hard-reset my device. How would I get it back to the way it was? Wasn't this a big mistake? Would the ROM upgrade work? A flood of thoughts came over me as I nervously did the ROM flash on that T-Mobile Pocket PC. As I re-calibrated the screen and moved the obligatory doctors appointment, I realized something: If this had happened to me on the road, or on vacation, I would be really messed up - not knowing how to re-setup my device, re-install my programs, restore my data! Thankfully, my upgrade went without a hitch, and I leared my most valuable tip when it comes to Mobile Devices: <b>Play with them when you have the time to learn, and then if disaster strikes (dead device, weird errors, etc..), you'll know how to bounce back - and hey, you learn about all the cool stuff you can do beyond what's written on the box!</b>. <br /><br />I can't tell you how many times I've thanked myself for not being squemish about resetting, upgrading, flashing, uninstalling, re-installing, backing up, restoring, tweaking registry keys, etc.. - and it's all because I took the time to really learn about my device before I was forced to.<br /><br />That's my <i>Most Valuable Tip</i> to people when they first start using a Windows Mobile device - play with it's features, learn about it, check out every setting, etc..! Other tips I have are fairly simple and less lofty, such as "backup your memory card every so often" and "Check for updated software before re-installing old saved copies". From large thoughts to small tweaks, valuable tips come in all sizes (Heck, our friends at <a href="http://www.pocketpcmag.com">Smartphone &amp; Pocket PC Magazine</a> have a whole report on 101 tips!)<br /><br />So why not spend your Monday contributing your favorite tip to this thread? Tell us what the tip is, and (if not self-evident), why you rely on it so much. If you are at a loss for picking a "most valuable", then give us your top competitors (I won't complain if you contribute 2 or 3 tips)!

rookcnu
09-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Gosh,... my top tip would be to install a couple of "gotta have's".

For example - I gotta have Smartskey installed for one handed operation without the stylus. This small (and free) add on has made my mobile experience unbelievable.

Then of course, there is TCPMP. Do I need to explain?

Then of course, some kind of back up software (Spb or Sprite) that is set to back up my PPC phone and mini sd card regularly.

Everything else is gravy IMO.

burtcom
09-24-2007, 04:47 PM
First thing I do when I unbox a new phone, PDA, ipod, whatever is INSTALL A SCREEN PROTECTOR.

I hate a scratched-up screen -- plus what kind of resale value will your device have if the screen is messed up?

psyjohn
09-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I have several MVT's. :D

First of all.... backup backup backup. I rely heavily (more than I like to admit) on my PPC for all aspects of my professional and personal life, and regular backups have saved me several times.

Second, export settings for any software that has that option. Restoring a backup is great, but if you can import settings after that it saves a lot of headaches.

Third, install a better file explorer (I love Resco), and some software to help optimize your device (MemMaid is my favorite). These two apps really help keep a PPC running efficiently.

Last, a tip I picked up somewhere online a few years ago. To set the storage memory and program memory add up the total amount free in both categories, divide that total by 6 and set the storage memory slightly above that number. This frees up the most memory for program applications without the device resetting to an even balance without you knowing it. (don't know if this applies to WM5 and later)

I would also second Jon's advice to get to know how to handle the worst when you have time. That saved my butt when my device crashed while I was at a conference recently; everything was backed up on my laptop and I was up and running again in no time.

signs
09-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Do Everything By the Book:
When your are installing new programs or hardware, flashing new roms, setting up connections; read all those small readme files and instructions that come along with it. follow them to the T, and your life would be much easier. You will certainly have minimized your percentages of getting in to trouble. Ask me I may be square, but i am patient and a really Happy Camper.... :D

Rod3
09-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I do three things immediately: install Sprite Backup, install Resco Explorer, and install Pocket Informant. After that, I give a huge sigh of relief and motor on.

ctmagnus
09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
This is more of an organizational scheme than a tip, but I map Spb Pocket Plus' Close Menu to the press and hold function of the OK button on my Treo 750. I have the x set to close by default and the OK button set to minimize. If I'm done with a program, I x it; if not, I hit the OK button and minimize it. Then I just press and hold the OK button to see if there's anything more I have to do in the next while.

smartphoneIT
09-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree with others who said to backup your device with software like Sprite backup. Resyncing to the notebook is not convenient or reliable.

I go a step further and alternately switch micro sd cards for each backup. That way if I lose my Mogul and/or the SD card in it, I just need to take the SD card stored in my wallet out and restore all data and settings without worrying about having my notebook computer handy for a resync.

Gotta love technology which makes up for the fading memory and brain cells!
===============================================
Palm Pilot 1000-->Palm Pilot Personal-->Palm IIIxe-->Kyocera 6035-->
Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Verizon 6700-->Sprint Mogul 6800 (still use the last three)

Mikey
09-24-2007, 09:37 PM
John,

If you're syncing daily to Outlook 2002, what happens when you back up to some other software? I've had to hard reset several devices &amp; every time the problem is the settings within the programs such as Pocket Informant don't hold. I use a lot of categories in Outlook &amp; on Pocket Informant I set colors to those categories so I can quickly see what my day consisted of.

Problem is when I have to hard reset, the program is gone, as are any settings I had changed on those programs. Is there some way to resolve this? I installed the programs to the ROM on my Axim x50v but they did not survive a hard reset. I also use Laridian Pocket Bible3, Pocket Quicken 2.5, ListPro Professional, &amp; E-Wallet.

Any clarification re: me being able to save those settings inside those programs would be much appreciated. Last, What back-up program do you recommend &amp; why?

Barry_Rau
09-25-2007, 12:06 AM
-I always keep cab files for my must have apps on my storage card with a mirror on my laptop.
-I always try to do periodic backups (even if there have been no major changes)
-I always do a full backup before I install any new software on my device in case of problems (very important if you install beta software)

Cheers
Barry

Barry_Rau
09-25-2007, 12:10 AM
John,

Any clarification re: me being able to save those settings inside those programs would be much appreciated. Last, What back-up program do you recommend &amp; why?

Hey Mikey,

you may want to try to grab any related registry keys (also see if there some config files that can be saved (kind of like the way to backup your MS Reader activation settings on PPC)

Cheers
Barry

Zagleft1
09-25-2007, 04:09 AM
A tip I would offer, based on reading many threads on many sites and their ultimate resolution, would be a simple: Don't Fear The Soft Reset . I just get a sense that there are quite a few users who seem to think that this is a major, risky step into the unknown when it really is no big deal at all and can clean up many short term problems. :wink:

Oreocat
09-25-2007, 08:21 AM
As already mentioned, I keep a folder on my cf &amp; sd cards called Hard Reset, and in it are all the cabs and exe files I need in case the backup doesn't work, which has happened :(

However, I also keep a simple text file in it with all codes needed in case I do need to hard reset. Simple enough to update it, and if makes it very easy to be up and going again shortly :)

marisa8184
09-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Keep a PPC Diary/log for each device.

It's surprising sometimes when you have problems and don't know where to look for the solution, that you can totally forget that interesting little peice of beta software you installed briefly, and then decided to get rid of (or so you thought). Or that little reg tweak you read about on a forum and now can't remember where/how etc which made all the difference to your setup.

Brad Adrian
09-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Don't Fear The Soft Reset.
Likewise, Don't Fear Demo Software. There have been many, many times that I've read about an application here with mild interest, installed the demo and then found out that it's much cooler than I had first thought.

You don't necessarily want to install everything you come across, but you'll never know how useful a program might be until you try it. Just make sure you've got a recent backup first.

kcwester
09-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Before I do a hard reset I write down what programs I have installed on my card so I don't install the program in a different location than I want. This has saved me many hours of work. Thanks.

kcwester
09-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Oops-I forgot my favorite. I go to IE and go to Menu-Tools-Options-memory and delete files. It is amazing how much space this frees up.

rdrose61
09-25-2007, 07:32 PM
As already mentioned, I keep a folder on my cf &amp; sd cards called Hard Reset, and in it are all the cabs and exe files I need in case the backup doesn't work, which has happened :(

However, I also keep a simple text file in it with all codes needed in case I do need to hard reset. Simple enough to update it, and if makes it very easy to be up and going again shortly :)

Like Oreocat and Barry_Rau, I keep cabs of my essential apps in a Backup folder on SD. Additionally, I keep my license codes in a ListPro (one of the cabs) file also on the SD. Additionally, I keep a copy of my Start Menu in the Backup folder. Saves a lot of time cleaning up after reinstalling.

Similarly, I have a Customize folder on my SD. This is were I keep extra "tweaking" files that I copy to the main memory when I make app UI changes i.e. PocketInformant and iLauncher icons and themes for Today or other apps like PocketBreeze.

Mikey
09-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Would it be possible for someone to break down further, with screenshots of how to back up &amp; restore a Pocket PC? I have used the Backup software that came on the Axim x50v but when I went to restore, it could not find any files to restore. I don't understand what a CAB file is or where it might be found.

I understand how to use most of Pocket Informant, PocketBible3, PocketQuicken 2.5, ListPro Professional, &amp; E-Wallet but I don't understand most of what's been discussed in this post. I wish someone would break it down a bit further for guys like myself. I don't need help with "press the little green button" to answer phone calls as was discussed at length in my latest issue of PocketPCMagazine but I do need help with how to back up the settings, etc. in Pocket Informant so that when I do have to hard reset it, I can quickly get it back to 100% on category colors, fonts, etc. Thanks, Mike

mtnmedic
10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
I have to agree with several people who've answered here about BACKING UP. That is by far the MOST valuable tip for anything having to do with computing. Period. Save your stuff to a folder on your hard drive. Save your stuff on a different SD card. Whatever it takes.

Another "MVT" would be to get a screen protector. One step further...DO get a protective case right away! You WILL drop your device. It's not a matter of "if" but "when." Don't worry about finding the "perfect" case now. Go get SOMETHING-better than nothing. Then work on finding the case that suits you best.

Probably another great "MVT" is to become involved with and READ USER FORUMS for your device. There are several great sites out there, like this one dedicated to hand-held devices. IT PAYS to learn from other people's trials, tribulations, mistakes, experiments, etc. ! And any input you provide along the way helps other people getting started with a new device or wanting to do something with an old one.

Don't Panic!
10-09-2007, 05:47 PM
If your headphones do not come with an L-shaped connector at the end of the cord buy an L-shaped headphone adapter. You can damage your motherboard by snagging the end of the headphone cord on something. The L-shaped adapter minimizes that risk.

absynth
10-15-2007, 05:45 PM
i personally don't do any kind of "ghosting". i might need to look into that at some point. especially with the mogul's large in-phone storage. means i can install all apps locally and use sd card for strict.

anywho.. some tips.. (if you don't use some backup apps)

- turn off the IR under settings / communication. helps save battery life
- save cabs on storage card and install from there.
- save shortcuts for launcher (app i use/love) in a folder

- make a shortcut from "programs" under /windows to the root. this way you don't have to wait for ages to get the full /windows screen to populate. this is handy (every second counts) when you're doing a lot of copy / paste stuff from the programs folder. i name the shortcut
- programs - so it stands out in the root folder

some WM6 warnings:
don't use pocket tweak (at least the one i used) unless they made a WM6 version. just running the app will scale all fonts to pixel size and hard reset is the only

NoteM has choppy audio issues (at least with my mogul, which i've encountered other audio issues with several games, worse, my game www.darksummer.com). I've switched over to soundexplorer which i bought awhile ago and rarely used since NoteM was so much smaller and did the same thing.