View Full Version : HP Expands iPAQ Lineup with New Devices, Services and Accessories

Jason Dunn
09-06-2007, 11:25 PM
You know how they say "Better late than never?". Yeah, well, that's how I'd ask you to look at Pocket PC Thoughts' coverage of the new iPAQ line - we were completely clueless about this launch because somehow HP didn't think it was important to reach out to Windows Mobile-specific news and community sites (I discussed this issue with several other community sites, and we're all in the same boat). Any any rate, here's the official press release, which will be rapidly followed by official high-res photos and specification sheets for each of the new models. Stay tuned!<br /><br />"NEW YORK, Sept. 5, 2007 – Extending the HP iPAQ handheld lineup with the largest product launch in the brand’s history, HP today unveiled 56 iPAQ-related products. Because it takes more than a mobile device to make a business mobile, HP introduced five mobile devices, five mobile software programs, 12 mobile services and almost three dozen handheld accessories. <br /><br />The new devices offer an array of mobile features tailored for business and personal use and include a pair of 3G mobile phones, a personal navigation device and two personal digital assistants (PDAs). The new services empower IT organizations with mobile device management, software customization, location-based services and HP Total Care. <br /><br />“This unprecedented expansion of iPAQ product and services demonstrates HP’s dedication to the mobile space and to the needs of its business customers,” said Dave Rothschild, vice president, Handheld Business Unit, Personal Systems Group, HP. “Businesses need IT companies to deliver fast, flexible and reliable mobility, and HP delivers on these needs with our new products, services and solutions. Business is about outcomes and iPAQ is about business.”<br /><!><br />The expansion of the iPAQ product line features the following: <br /><br />• HP iPAQ 900 Series Business Messenger – 3G phone(1) with QWERTY keyboard<br /><br />• HP iPAQ 600 Series Business Navigator – A two-in-one 3G phone(1) and navigation device<br /><br />• HP iPAQ 300 Series Travel Companion – Handheld GPS device for business and personal travel featuring graphics acceleration and available 3D maps(2) <br /><br />• HP iPAQ 200 Series Enterprise Handheld – Powerful, large screen PDA with Wi-Fi(3) that is well-suited to run a broad range of business applications<br /><br />• HP iPAQ 100 Series Classic Handheld – Big screen, simple synchronization with personal content, and Wi-Fi(3) connectivity make this sleek, affordable PDA an ideal phone companion<br /><br />• HP Enterprise Mobility Suite – Provides mobile device management capabilities that ease device deployments and management within the enterprise<br /><br />• HP iPAQ Custom Touch – Small lot iPAQ customization conveniently preloads iPAQ devices with custom applications, themes and settings for enterprise customers(4) <br /><br />• HP iPAQ location-based services – A web destination where users can personalize their trip plans, map content and update device software<br /><br />• HP Total Care – A suite of services to help iPAQ customers design, manage and implement business mobility, with application mobilization, one-stop help desk, and leasing and lifecycle management<br /><br />• HP iPAQ Mobile Broadband Connect – Access the Internet on an HP <br />notebook or PC through a tethered iPAQ 3G phone for high-speed mobile broadband connectivity(1,5)<br /><br />Handhelds with business services<br /><br />HP’s newest mobile phones offer mobile email, voice and access to critical enterprise applications, making it easy for busy professionals to stay on top of their work.(1,3,5) Users of the feature-packed HP iPAQ 900 Series Business Messenger and HP iPAQ 600 Series Business Navigator can make calls and access the Internet in places around the world via tri-band UMTS/HSDPA and quad-band GSM/EDGE wireless technology, while integrated Wi-Fi allows for hot spot connectivity and VoIP capabilities.(1,3,5,6) <br /><br />On-the-go professionals also will appreciate the long battery life and turn-by-turn navigation via Assisted GPS. Both devices feature HP iPAQ Device Connect software, simplifying high-speed connection to the Internet with a notebook PC anywhere high-speed cellular data networks are available.(1,5) In addition, built-in Voice Commander features, such as HP Voice Reply, enable hands-free emailing.(7) <br /><br />The HP iPAQ 900 Series Business Messenger features an alphanumeric QWERTY thumb keyboard and a predictive text tool for fast typing. <br />The HP iPAQ 600 Series Business Navigator features a 12-key design and is optimized for single-handed use. Its unique Smart Touch navigational wheel, embedded in the keypad, uses a simple circular motion of the thumb to scroll through email, zoom in and out of maps or browse file lists. As a two-in-one phone and navigator, the HP iPAQ 600 offers available maps and car kit for travelers needing to get places fast.(2) <br />The HP iPAQ 600 and 900 Series both run the Microsoft Windows® Mobile 6 Professional operating system and boast a 3-megapixel camera and a bright touch screen. They also feature quick upload to Snapfish, the leading online photo service. Users can upload photos taken with an iPAQ directly to their Snapfish account over-the-air. <br /><br />The HP iPAQ 900 Series Business Messenger and HP iPAQ 600 Series Business Navigator also support HP’s mobile device management solution, the HP Enterprise Mobility Suite (EMS), for easy setup and over-the-air manageability. EMS 4.0 is now shipping and will shortly be fully integrated with HP Enterprise Discovery Software to provide customers with unified asset management of their iPAQ handhelds, desktops, notebooks and server devices.<br /><br />With HP’s new iPAQ customization service, HP can deliver iPAQ devices configured to comply with key enterprise policies right out of the box, such as network and registry settings, content and preloaded applications.(4) <br />HP also is working with software companies to ensure essential business applications such as email, customer relationship management (CRM), supply chain management (SCM) and mobile IP telephony applications are certified and supported.(3,6,8) <br /><br />Personal Navigation Tour Guide<br /><br />Ideally suited for business or personal travel, the HP iPAQ 300 Series Travel Companion’s high-resolution, 3D immersive navigation experience(2) comes complete with a premium entertainment system, Bluetooth™ phone connectivity(3) and web-based trip planning services(3) to help travelers make the most of the journey and the destination.(3) <br />Featuring a brilliant 800- by 480-pixel, 4.3-inch widescreen display, the HP iPAQ 300 provides resolution equivalent to full DVD-quality video. HP also has created a completely new exclusive user interface that offers fast and simple navigation. An online trip planning web portal debuting later this fall assists in tailoring travel itineraries, researching destination information and uploading routes and content to the iPAQ.<br /><br />Customers can also connect to a Bluetooth phone and talk hands free. In addition, customers will enjoy playing MP3 music, videos and photos and pre-installed games. <br /><br />PDAs for enterprise and personal productivity <br /><br />The powerhouse HP iPAQ 200 Series Enterprise Handheld, with its big VGA 4-inch touch screen, sets a new standard for enterprise PDAs. The HP iPAQ 200 Series has the processing power to run a variety of enterprise applications or third-party vertical business solutions. With integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, the device offers convenient mobile connectivity and can be used as a VoIP handset.(3,6)<br /><br />HP extends the classic PDA tradition with the sleek and affordable HP iPAQ 100 Series Classic Handheld, just 13 mm thin. The ideal companion to a mobile phone, this elegant new PDA is designed to fit comfortably in the hand. Its large display makes content easy to see, as it shares and synchronizes Outlook Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and media. With Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and the latest Windows Mobile 6 operating system, the HP iPAQ 100 Series provides personal productivity and wireless connectivity – all at a great value.<br /><br />Pricing and availability<br /><br />Device price and availability will vary by country and region. For more information visit <a href="www.yourlifeistheshow.com">www.yourlifeistheshow.com</a>. More information on these HP iPAQ handhelds and other HP mobility solutions is available in an online press kit at <a href="www.hp.com/go/Mobility2007">www.hp.com/go/Mobility2007</a>. <br /><br />About HP<br /><br />HP focuses on simplifying technology experiences for all of its customers – from individual consumers to the largest businesses. With a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure, HP is among the world’s largest IT companies, with revenue totaling $100.5 billion for the four fiscal quarters ended July 31, 2007. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at <a href="www.hp.com">www.hp.com</a>.<br />Note to editors: More news from HP, including links to RSS feeds, is available at <a href="www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/">www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/</a>.<br /><br />(1) Telephone service requires a separately purchased service contract. Check with service provider for availability.<br />(2) GPS Navigation software is included in select countries. Purchase of additional maps and/or software may be required to enable some features or allow navigation in certain areas. Map coverage may vary and is not guaranteed.<br />(3) Standard WLAN infrastructure, other Bluetooth-enabled devices, separately purchased equipment and a service contract with a wireless airtime provider may be required for applicable wireless communication. Wireless Internet use requires a separately purchased service contract. Check with service provider for availability and coverage. <br />(4) Customization available on orders of 200 units or more of 200, 600, or 900 Series iPAQ devices<br />(5) A standard GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA, Wi-Fi or other Bluetooth-enabled devices, separately purchased equipment, and a service contract with a wireless airtime provider may be required for applicable wireless communication. Wireless Internet access requires separately purchased Internet service contract. Check with service provider for availability and coverage. Not all web content available. Wireless transmission speeds may vary based upon network capabilities and other conditions. Establishment and continuation of a wireless connection depends on network availability, provider support and signal strength. EDGE (Enhanced Data for Global Evolution) is a global standard for wireless wide-area data communication being rapidly deployed by GSM carriers worldwide. Coverage is subject to transmission limitations and terrain, system, capacity and other limitations. Not all features and service options are available in all areas.<br />(6) Requires separately purchased Internet service and VoIP service contracts <br />(7) The “read email” Voice Command feature is only available for email sent via Exchange Server to the Outlook Inbox.<br />(8) Certification and support on certain models.

ntractv
09-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I have been laying in wait for a device to replace my Treo 700w (one word: SUCKS) and I thought the rumours of the anticipated release of the 800w series would be my out, but now that the model has been delayed and after looking at the HP 900 series, WOW, I am all over that device.

econers
09-07-2007, 01:10 AM
After owning several ipaq's back to the 3635 to the 4705 I experienced the excellent Compaq support to the at best, negligent, HP support. Both my 5555 and 4705 were obsoleted by HP within a year (or so). I promised myself never to be fooled again by HP. HP abandoned this platformed 2 years ago and now expects us to simply be wowed by these new devices (and I admit the 200 has impressive specs). The US pda market is what it is because HP (and Dell to a lesser degree) made it that way by cornering the market and then abandoning it. After years of fustration I've had enough.

My hx4705 died last month and I purchase an HTC x7501. After 2 weeks I am very happy with the device. Yes it's big, (you get used to it) but its not my phone its my pda (that can be used as a phone) with an impressive set of features.

HTC may or may not dissapoint with future support. If they do I'll move on. HP has a proven track record of poor support for their products, no more.

OK I got that off my chest.

PPCRules
09-07-2007, 03:36 PM
From just glancing over Jason's front page descriptions, this looks like a very nice lineup of devices, with a new device in each of various nicely defined market niches.

Comparing to the past 6-7(?) years of iPaqs, it would seems that there must be someone new in the marketing department at HP. Many years one had to just shake one's head, wondering what someone was thinking when they planned whatever new model was introduced that year.

Yet, it is sad to note the difference between that attention that this will receive versus the Apple announcements a day earlier. Noone doesn't know there are major moves on the iPhone and iPod fronts, but no non-techy person will hear about the iPag launches.

This [PPC] market could be so much more if someone (Microsoft) could promote it to everyday people. (almost put "Microsoft" and "marketing" in the same sentence!)

Jason Dunn
09-07-2007, 04:06 PM
OK I got that off my chest.

Great first post - welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts! :way to go:

Mikey
09-08-2007, 01:52 AM
Econers,

We are n the exact same page! HP left me hanging with a high end h5555 a few years ago with their lack of support. That was my 4th &amp; final iPAQ. Compaq support was great. HP is a joke in all areas IMO. Thanks for the post! Mike

econers
09-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Thanks Jason and Mike

Not wanting to turn this into an HP bashing thread, but they have done alot over the last 5+ years to make it clear (to me anyway) that customer satisfaction is not a priority. They produce some decent hardware but they just move on to the next model du jour and orphan previous ones.

I've experienced this with both professional and personnal purchases. They're simply not the quality company they were ten or so years ago.

I stay away from them now unless it's something unique that I need (want).

Eric

ntractv
09-11-2007, 11:04 PM
After calming down and looking at the specs, unless they release a CDMA version I don't see this hitting the shelves of Verizon. (Hope I'm wrong)