View Full Version : 4GB SD card not recognised

Roger K
09-06-2007, 03:34 PM
My new 4GB SD card is formatted and functioning on my PC with XP. On my PPC with Win Mobile 5 it is not seen.

To get Navigon MN6 satnav and other stuff on an SD card on my Fujitsu Siemens PocketLoox N520 I bought a 4GB card. I also bought a USB card reader because the new card was not seen by a camera or card input slot.

The old 2GB SD card presents no problems, except is on the verge of overflow.

On the PC command prompt I used FORMAT <drive letter>: /FS:FAT

Is there a special format procedure for Win Mob 5?

JonnoB
09-06-2007, 05:08 PM
The card you purchased may be an SDHC card and not an SD card (same form factor, different size capabilities). Only the newest devices support SDHC cards.

Roger K
09-06-2007, 05:25 PM
How to find out? The card's label marks it as SD 4GB 50x.

If you're right I guess there's nothing I can do about it until I buy another device.

applejosh
09-06-2007, 05:30 PM
If it is a regular SD card (and not the SDHC kind JonnoB mentioned), then you also have to format it with FAT32 instead of the normal FAT (and of course, the devices you want to use the card in have to support the FAT32 filesystem as well).

The format command in XP for that would be FORMAT <drive letter>: /FS:FAT32

But if it is an SDHC card, then you're probaby out of luck. It should say somewhere on the label or packaging about being an SDHC.

maikii
09-09-2007, 05:59 PM
How to find out? The card's label marks it as SD 4GB 50x.

Regular SD cards(including mini- and micro-sds) don't come in capacities larger than 2 GB.

A 4GB SD card is, by definition, an SDHC card, which only some of the newest devices support. The seller should of made that clear to you. You should ask for a refund.

Roger K
09-09-2007, 06:12 PM
The problematic SD card, apparently branded Kingston, I bought in Shanghai for £23. Kingston tech support say they don't produce a card as I describe it, so I guess it's another Chinese imitation, albeit functioning on a PC with XP.

Several contributors to a forum for the Fujitsu Siemens PPC mentioned they were getting results from a Transcend 4GB Secure Digital Card (TS4GSD150), so I am buying that. :?

maikii
09-12-2007, 04:03 AM
The problematic SD card, apparently branded Kingston, I bought in Shanghai for £23. Kingston tech support say they don't produce a card as I describe it, so I guess it's another Chinese imitation, albeit functioning on a PC with XP.

Several contributors to a forum for the Fujitsu Siemens PPC mentioned they were getting results from a Transcend 4GB Secure Digital Card (TS4GSD150), so I am buying that. :?

If your device does not support SDHC cards (which only some of the newest devices support), there is no point in buying any 4GB card. 2 GB is the limit for a regular SD card. Anything larger than 2GB is SDHC, which needs different hardware.

applejosh
09-12-2007, 08:27 PM
There are non-SDHC 4GB cards. They don't follow the SD spec to the fullest, but there are 4GB cards which are not SDHC, and they have been reported to work in various PDA's (FAT32 compatibility was a requirement). You will not find the larger "brand names" in those cards, though (eg. Sandisk, Kingston). Transcend and PQI were two that I read about at one point. I think A-Data may have had one as well.

eg. http://www.buy.com/prod/transcend-4gb-150x-secure-digital-card-sd/q/loc/101/202104570.html

Roger K
09-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Contributors on more than one forum told me I had no chance, but in fact the Transcend 4GB Secure Digital Card (TS4GSD150) is proving a success. It's descibed by Transcend as SDHC 150x

Both the PC and the PPC work with it, and the huge benefit is that with several applications now on the SD card instead on the device I'm getting the performance I expect.

Take Satnav. The tedious failures to connect and keep the GPS application are a thing of the past. Take internet connection, where I often used to get a 'Connected' message, but no function. All fixed.