View Full Version : Turn PDA into cell phone?

Typhoon
09-01-2007, 03:48 AM
Does anyone know of a way to turn the PDA into a cell phone? And that vibrates as well? If so, I am hoping that maybe the CF slot on my X50v can help. This is my attempt to have a cheap PDA/cellphone until I can save money for a real one.

Brad Adrian
09-01-2007, 04:30 AM
About seven or eight years ago a company called Handspring made a Pocket PC that could be converted to a phone via a slot-based accessory. And a couple of other companies have tried to make similar products, but in the end none of them have been successful and I do not believe any such products are available now.

One of the main reasons these types of products failed is that they did not actually convert the Pocket PC to a Phone Edition, with its integration with the Contacts database and wireless data capabilities, etc. The failed slap-on devices simply allowed you to make phohe calls.

Cybrid
09-01-2007, 06:50 AM
About seven or eight years ago a company called Handspring made a Pocket PC that could be converted to a phone via a slot-based accessory. And a couple of other companies have tried to make similar products, but in the end none of them have been successful and I do not believe any such products are available now.

One of the main reasons these types of products failed is that they did not actually convert the Pocket PC to a Phone Edition, with its integration with the Contacts database and wireless data capabilities, etc. The failed slap-on devices simply allowed you to make phohe calls.I think the fact that they were in no way cheaper than a PDA/Cell combo had more to do with it. I remember those. I chose not to purchase one simply because it gave no advantage over a cell phone.

Typhoon
09-02-2007, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think the cell-phone/PDA combination is all I have...

jadesse
09-02-2007, 03:37 AM
You could use your Axim as a cell phone but its not very practicle. You would need to carry a bunch of extra batteries with you.

Doing a google search for GSM CF will bring up lots of info.