View Full Version : Scam or Real? Your opinion

ironguy
08-30-2007, 06:23 PM
I've been thinking about purchasing an Xbox elite system for my ...ahem... stepson...uh...yes.
Anyway, I found a flyer online of someone that has an xbox elite system to sell at $220 each - brand new unopened in box. Curious, I contacted her. She gave me an address and name to use at Western Union to ship the cash at which time she would ship the unit.

I can't find the address using any map online although it is in a boondock town of only a few thousand. It's a 3 hour drive from home so I thought I'd offer to pick it up.

So. Is it a scam? What do you think?

Mark Kenepp
08-30-2007, 07:39 PM
I think that if you offer to meet and make the transaction in person, you will probably learn pretty quick if it is a scam or not.

Jason Dunn
08-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Western Union is a common conduit for scammers - AVOID THIS. Western Union is basically a money order - it would be like sending money in the mail. Would you do that? Nope, of course not. PayPal works with the credit card companies and offers seller AND buyer protection.

Remember, if something is too good to be true, there's probably a reason for that...it's not like there's some secret Xbox factory selling them for 50% less than what the others do. ;-)

ironguy
08-31-2007, 08:31 PM
I'd prettty much come to the same conclusion.

And no, I wouldn't send cash through the mail.

priji
01-02-2008, 07:58 AM
I don't know the scam or real.