View Full Version : Official Announcment For the HTC TyTN II

Nurhisham Hussein
08-30-2007, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/htc-tytn-II-kaiser-announced-article-a_2010.html' target='_blank'>http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/htc...cle-a_2010.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Today HTC announced the successor of their popular TyTN, the TyTN II. The phone that was previously known as the Kaiser in the rumors builds on the first TyTN (aka Cingular/AT&amp;T 8525) by adding GPS chip with excellent performance, allowing the phone to be used as stand-alone Navigation system. After the side-sliding QWERTY is opened, the display can be put at an angle, resulting in an unique tilting-screen design, for more comfortable usage when watching video or reading text."</i><br /><br />Well, it's finally official - after all the rumours and speculation the Kaiser is finally shipping, at least if you're in Europe. US users might have to wait a little longer for the AT&amp;T version but I'm sure it won't be too long now. Looks like the operator-branded versions will be available from the end of September. Details from the <a href="http://www.europe.htc.com/z/pdf/press/HTC_TyTN_II_en_FINAL.pdf">Press Release</a> (Warning: PDF link) after the break.<!><br /><br /><b> HTC launches the HTC TyTN II in Europe: the ultimate mobile companion</b><br />•Introducing new tilting touch screen device with global high-speed HSDPA connectivity<br />•Launching in partnership with key mobile operators across Europe, including Orange, T-Mobile, Telefonica Group and Vodafone<br /><br /><b>LONDON - August 28, 2007 - HTC Corp. (TAIEX: 2498 : "HTC")</b> the world's leading supplier of Microsoft® Windows Mobile®-based smart devices, today unveiled the HTC TyTN II. HTC TyTN II will be launched in partnership with leading operator partners across Europe, as well as direct under the HTC brand, and builds on the success of the award-winning first HTC TyTN (June 2006). Featuring global high speed HSDPA connectivity, in-built GPS for personal navigation and an innovative adjustable screen angle, this device is the ultimate mobile companion. <br /> <br />The HTC TyTN II packs all the power of Windows Mobile® 6 into a unique new form factor, continuing HTC's 10-year heritage of innovation in device design. The 2.8-inch colour screen slides back to reveal a full QWERTY keyboard, then tilts up to position the screen perfectly for reading and creating emails, using applications, or even just playing videos and games. <br /> <br />The HTC TyTN II allows users to get connected in any country with tri-band UMTS and quad-band EDGE. It boasts unrivalled worldwide 3.5G high speed internet - HSDPA, at speeds 9 times faster than 3G - and WiFi 802.11b/g to ensure users can enjoy high-speed surfing, uploading and downloading while roaming anywhere in the world. <br /> <br />HTC Home™, HTC's new homescreen, offers easy access to photo dialing, text messages, calendar entries, emails and contacts, as well as one touch access to live weather conditions plus four-day forecasts. <br /> <br />Leveraging the functionality of Windows Mobile® 6, the HTC TyTN II provides a complete suite of business applications including Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, PowerPoint Mobile, contacts, calendar, push e-mail, notes, tasks, PDF viewer and more. In addition, HTC has included further applications such as a business card scanner and TomTom Navigator 6 (Taster edition) to complement the in-built GPS. <br /> <br />"Today's launch is all about fast, easy access on the move to the kind of features and connectivity previouly reserved for the PC world," said Florian Seiche, Vice President of HTC Europe. "This proposition is a perfect match for both mobile professionals and advanced mobile consumers on the go who can now benefit from the powerful feature set that the HTC TyTN II offers and the true high-speed mobile access that many of our leading operator partners are offering."<br /> <br /><b>Availability</b><br />The HTC TyTN II has been designed and developed to enable business users to take full advantage of the latest high speed data and multimedia content and applications, and incorporating feedback from HTC's operator customers. It will be launched in partnership with leading operators across Europe from September, including Orange, T-Mobile, Telefonica Group and Vodafone, as well as direct, under the HTC brand. <br /> <br />T-Mobile International, with more than 111 million mobile customers, is one of the leading companies in mobile communications. It is continuing its very successful MDA Vario product line based on the HTC TyTN II at the beginning of October.<br /><br />"Weare happy to have this new handset in our portfolio. It meets all of our requirements as a mobile workforce device, and we are particularly pleased with the new tilting keyboard form factor," says Michael Hagspihl, Executive Vice President Terminal Management at T-Mobile International. "The T-Mobile MDA Vario III with its own exclusive characteristic T-Mobile design is a powerhouse with the extra speed to take advantage of the state-of-the-art T-Mobile Network and customer focussed propositions like web'n'walk, and is testimony to the good relationship we enjoy with HTC. T-Mobile's MDA Vario III provides the perfect combination of an innovative design, dynamic wireless connectivity and additionally GPS to enrich Web, e-mail and messaging as well as navigation experiences."<br /><br />"The predecessor T-Mobile MDA Vario II became the de-facto standard for mobile workforces, but with the MDA Vario III T-Mobile is pushing the edges of mobility even further and keeping the promise to our customers with innovativ differentiated devices."<br /><br />Orange is launching the HTC TyTN II across its European footprint in a phased roll-out from the end of September. The HTC TyTN II is te lat3est addition to Orange's unique range of signature devices and offers a choice of email solutions, including Microsoft DirectPush on Windows Mobile 6. Combined with fast connectivity through Oange's WiFi, 3G+ (HSDPA), 3G and EDGE networks, the powerful HTC TyTN II provides a laptop-like experience on a mobile device for users who want access to work information from any location in the world. <br /> <br />Philippe Bernard, Executive VP, Business Solutions, Orange, agrees that the HTC TyTN II is ideal for people who need constant and reliable access to Internet and business applications. Bernard says, "Many of our business customers demand a 'virtual office' experience that includes the ability to access everyday business applications, as well as email. The email-friendly form factor and ability to connect to our mobile broadband networks makes the HTC TyTN II the must-have device for our business users."<br /><br />Orange's version of the device will feature the unique Signature Series homescreen, which provides personalised, one-click access to business applications. Orange will first launch the device in the UK, France, Switzerland and the Netherlands, followed by Spain, Poland, Romania and Slovakia in early October. <br /> <br />"This is a solid addition to Vodafone's portfolio of business devices. HTC has continued to innovate and produced a product that effectively meets the needs of our busness customers," sid Jens Schulte-Bockum, Global Director of Terminals, Vodafone Group.<br /><br />"The handset, combined with Vodafone's world-beating HSDPA networks and the addition of GPS functionality makes this a compelling consideration for customers."<br /><br /><b>HTC TyTN II key features</b><br />• Adjustable screen angle and slide-out QWERTY keyboard <br /> o 2.8-inch 240*320 QVGA touch screen<br />• Get connected in any country <br /> oTri-band UMTS &amp; Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE<br />• 3.5G high speed internet <br /> o 9 times faster than 3G <br /> o Worldwide mobile high speed connectivity <br />• Live HTC Home™ screen<br />• Windows Mobile 6 Professional with Direct Push Email<br />• Internal GPS antenna, TomTom Navigator 6 Taster Edition\<br />• Business Card Scanner<br />• 3 mega-pixel auto focus camera<br />• Wireless LAN - WiFi 802.11b/g<br />• Bluetooth 2.0<br />• ROM 256MB and RAM 128MB<br />• Easy scrolling with touch scrolling or jog wheel <br />• microSD™ card slot<br />• Dimensions - 112mm (L) x 59mm (W) x 19mm (T) <br />• Weight - 190g with battery<br />• Battery: 1,350 mAh rechargeable Li-polymer battery<br />• Standby time: <br /> o Up to 350 hours for UMTS <br /> o Up to 365 hours for GSM<br />• Talk time: <br /> o Up to 264 minutes for UMTS <br /> o Up to 420 minutes for GSM <br /> o Up to 120 minutes for video call<br />• More information at <a href="www.tytnseries.com">www.tytnseries.com</a> <br /> <br /><b>About HTC</b><br />Founded in 1997, HTC Corp. (HTC) designs, manufactures and markets innovative, feature rich smartphone and PDA Phone devices. <br />Since its establishment, HTC has developed strong R&amp;D capabilities, pioneered many new designs and product innovations and launched state-of-the-art PDA Phones and smartphones for mobile operators and distributors in Europe, the US, and Asia. These machines are available as HTC devices and as products individually customized for operator and device partners. <br />HTC is one of the fastest growing companies in the mobile device market. The company is listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange under ticker 2498. For more information about HTC, please visit <a href="www.htc.com">www.htc.com</a>. <br /># # # <br />The names of companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

Jon Westfall
08-30-2007, 03:06 AM
I Can't recall the last time a device was such an "open" secret that the official announcement didn't shed any substantial light that we hadn't already known in the community. Not that I'm complaining :mrgreen:

:goes to check mobileplanet order... never know if those tytns didn't magically appear before Sept 10:

CoreyL
08-30-2007, 03:28 AM
Everyone can pre-order it right from the Affiliate store! http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=151727&amp;partner=pthoughts :D

Make sure you either follow this link or use the SHOP link on the homepage!

Underwater Mike
08-30-2007, 02:57 PM
My 15-month-old 8125 just died the other day. I paid $50 for a refurb unit under my insurance plan, which was then canceled because I claimed on it! At any rate, my Cingular/ATT contract is up next May, and the only thing that will keep me there is if this thing and/or a dramatically revised iPhone remain ATT exclusives.

BTW, is it just me or does this thing need a larger, VGA screen? QVGA is fine in 2.8", but having used a 3.5" screen for GPS, I can say that the larger screen is dramatically preferable.

Jon Westfall
08-30-2007, 03:54 PM
BTW, is it just me or does this thing need a larger, VGA screen? QVGA is fine in 2.8", but having used a 3.5" screen for GPS, I can say that the larger screen is dramatically preferable.

The larger screen would be nice, however I believe for this unit, the smaller screen is better. GPS use and movie watching will be impaired by the smaller screen, but all other functions on the device will benefit from the small form factor (after all, no one likes big cell phones anymore!). Personally if the small screen is too small, one could always use an older BT-capable Pocket PC with a larger screen for GPS, using a product like GPSGate to turn this phone into a simple Bluetooth GPS.

jamijam
08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
$800 on mobileplanet or £480 (almost $1000) for UK expansys customers. ****ing typical..

spaceman
08-30-2007, 10:54 PM
for those in the US, would it not be cheaper to buy the AT&amp;T version instead of the unlocked version at $800?

virain
08-30-2007, 11:16 PM
for those in the US, would it not be cheaper to buy the AT&amp;T version instead of the unlocked version at $800?

2 reasons why not:
- It will come scaled down (some features will be removed s.a. front camera for teleconference)
- it will be loaded with geniuine AT&amp;T crapware that serves exclusevly for AT&amp;T purposes, not making users life easier.

Plus if you decide to switch to T-Mobile, more likely you won't be able to use it without unlocking and reconfiguring 3G (when T-Mo finally opens it).
So couple hundred or less in savings doesn't really justify 2 years of being chained to AT&amp;T, BTW contract plans prices are not that cheap after all. T-Mo has much more appealing offers.

mm
08-31-2007, 12:17 AM
But, can an unlocked TYTN II really use the 3G and 3.5G capabilities of AT&amp;T with it's SIM card?

spaceman
08-31-2007, 04:13 PM
you can probaby get the AT&amp;T version unocked for about $25. AT&amp;T has 3G. T-mobile does not. Unlocked version would be usefor for traveling abroad. You can used much cheaper local SIM cards. Also if you are part of a corporate account with AT&amp;T, you should see 15 to 20% savings on phone purchase and data plans. I think that is what I would do: get the AT&amp;T Titt for about ~$500 and unlock it.

virain
09-01-2007, 09:36 AM
you can probaby get the AT&amp;T version unocked for about $25. AT&amp;T has 3G. T-mobile does not. Unlocked version would be usefor for traveling abroad. You can used much cheaper local SIM cards. Also if you are part of a corporate account with AT&amp;T, you should see 15 to 20% savings on phone purchase and data plans. I think that is what I would do: get the AT&amp;T Titt for about ~$500 and unlock it.

I guess we will see it rather as T-Mobile Vario III, not as AT&amp;T's brand. Here's why: http://msmobiles.com/news.php/6654.html

Nurhisham Hussein
09-03-2007, 04:05 PM
But, can an unlocked TYTN II really use the 3G and 3.5G capabilities of AT&amp;T with it's SIM card?

Believe it or not, the SIM doesn't really matter - unless AT&amp;T does funny things to their SIMs that nobody else around the globe does. I got 3G access with a 10 year old SIM that predated GPRS! I only upgraded to get expanded SIM contact and SMS memory.

dmbourdon
09-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Is the 8525 EVER going to get the WM6 update. Please...does anyone know? Thank you

Darius Wey
09-04-2007, 03:21 AM
Is the 8525 EVER going to get the WM6 update. Please...does anyone know? Thank you

It is coming - sources suggest this quarter.