View Full Version : JRE for PPC?

heavymetal_ben
08-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I am at wit's end here, because I have been searching for the longest time for a way to install a JRE on the Pocket PC, but to no avail thus far. I simply want to be able to run some Java based websites on my Pocket PC, and I understand you can't really get a fully functional JRE on PPCs, as most of them are installed in the units from the manufacturer. Is this correct?
Also, from my research, I have seen that there are ways to program your own Java programs on your pocket pc, but this is not what I want. I want to be able to view MySpace pages in full detail, and to play Runescape with my little brother, etc...
I would appreciate any help, thank you in advance.

Ben

JesterMania
08-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Until someone more knowledgeable than myself answers your post, I can only recommend the NetFront web browser as I know it has Java capabilities. You said your purpose is to run Java programs inside web pages - Java applets (not applications or midlets) so that rules out quite a few options. Java applications (apps that run outside of a web browser) can be run with JVMs such as Creme or Mysaifu. Java midlets (cellphone applications) can be run with IBM's J9 emulator or a Java midlet manager (that comes with a Pocket PC Phone Edition). However, Java applets (applications that run within a web page) are what you are looking for and NetFront is the only solution I am aware of and even then, Java implementation is probably far from 100%.

heavymetal_ben
08-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Thank you much, my friend.

heavymetal_ben
08-29-2007, 04:08 AM
Another question, actually. Are there any other options than NetFront, because when I go to the site for the Trial download, I fill out the necessary fields, but it keeps on giving me a message that I still need to provide an email for them, but I put 2 valid emails in the fields.
Just looking for other browsers that support JavaScript, please.

JesterMania
08-29-2007, 10:02 PM
You should try googling for the trial. Here's a workable NetFront 3.3 trial link @ Softpedia:

http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload/NetFront-for-Pocket-PC-Download-10164.html