View Full Version : Syncronizing with both Windows Mobile and "Dumb" devices

Joelacrane
08-22-2007, 05:26 AM
I finally broke down and bought a cell phone. I figured I would buy one, sell it, stick the SIM card in a Windows Mobile phone and be done with it, but I actually like the little Nokia 6300 that I have, so i think I'll stick with it.

Synchronization with Outlook is possible with a Nokia application. I already had a few contacts in the phone when I syncronized for the first time, but instead of combining the contacts it just put them in side by side. Turns out, you can't make it resolve conflicts, it just sticks them in side by side instead of combining them.

This may cause problems if i enter a new contact in my Pocket PC instead of my phone. Any tips/hints? I'd like to not have to worry about which device I modify/enter a new contact in.

Btw it also syncs notes and calendar events. It handles everything nicely except for the problem I mentioned.

Cybrid
08-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Instead of combining the contacts it just put them in side by side. Turns out, you can't make it resolve conflicts, it just sticks them in side by side instead of combining them.Not sure what you mean...but do you mean...
If the same contact is entered on two separate machines it doesn't combine the data?
If so, even multiple PocketPC's synced collectively will put the two side by side. PC's don't have the smarts to distinguish whether to merge or keep data separate. It must be done manually.
E.g. I keep three versions of my contact info to beam. A professional, personal and a fuller family one. I couldn't do that.

Joelacrane
08-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Hmmm. I guess since Outlook merges contacts I guessed that multiple Pocket PCs would behave the same way.

Cybrid
08-24-2007, 04:40 AM
Hmmm. I guess since Outlook merges contacts I guessed that multiple Pocket PCs would behave the same way.Uhhh. I don't think Outlook does that either. I could be wrong. Perhaps my turn to learn a thing or two ;)
I mean my old neighbours Douglas A. and his son Douglas A. would perpetually be mixed up. Outlook will merge two sets of contacts...leading to the duplicate contatcs you're seeing right now...
AFAIK you always need to manually weed out duplicates.
If
J Smith with tel 1234567 and
J Smith with tel 1234567 are present one is deleted.
If
JSmith with tel 1234567 and
J Smith with tel 1234567 are present...just the slightest difference. It will be treated as two different contacts. A computer told to merge wouldn't always do it the way you might want it to.