View Full Version : More questions about SIM cards...

Joelacrane
08-20-2007, 05:49 AM
Alright, I went to Edge Wireless (AT&T and Cingular affilliate) today right after church, and I couldn't decide on a phone just then, so the salesman told me that they closed at 7. I came back at 5:59, and I was looking at phones again when another salesman asked if I needed anything. I said "Yeah, I'm going to get a phone and a plan tonight." and he said "Sorry, we are closing up. I was just about the shut the door when you walked in."

Wow, service with a smile.

Anyways, I was planning on just getting a cheap-o phone, yanking the SIM card, and slapping it into a nice HTC Smartphone.

I'm looking at SmartPhones on eBay. Since Edge Wireless/AT&T/Cingular are affiliated, can I buy a Cingular phone and stick a SIM card in it and have a functional phone?

ADBrown
08-20-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm looking at SmartPhones on eBay. Since Edge Wireless/AT&T/Cingular are affiliated, can I buy a Cingular phone and stick a SIM card in it and have a functional phone?

Not exactly. You'll need to use a phone which is SIM unlocked, meaning that it can be used on carriers other than the one it was originally intended for. The fact that Edge Wireless and AT&T are affiliated isn't enough. However, unlocked phones are plentiful, albeit just a little more expensive than non-unlocked phones.

Joelacrane
08-20-2007, 11:48 PM
I went back to Edge Wireless today and bought me a phone. I payed like $170 for a nice little Nokia 6200. Whoever says Nokia is behind the times? I love it. Its tiny, the screen and camera rival my digital camera, and its not a Razr!

Now if i can just sync my contacts with outlook/activesync...

The saleslady told me that both Edge Wireless and T-mobile do not lock their phones. I could turn around and sell this as an unlocked phone if I wanted too. I might just keep it.