View Full Version : VGA Out Pocket PC + GPS + In-dash DVD Player

Richard76
08-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I am currently using my old PDA2k with a Globalsat BT338 GPS Receiver and iGuidance V3 software, which has been a great package. I also have an in-dash DVD player with a 7" flip-out screen and I was thinking that I would like to leverage the real estate of the larger screen for navigating.

As the DVD player has R,G,B inputs available, I was thinking that all I really need to make this work is a Pocket PC device with VGA out.

1) Am I on the right track here and if so, are the typical VGA out cables for Pocket PC's capable of connecting to standard RCA female jacks (red, white, yellow)?

2) What Pocket PC devices offer VGA out besides the Dell Axim X50/51V (WM2003SE or WM5 only, no phone preferred)?

ADBrown
08-18-2007, 05:06 PM
1) Am I on the right track here and if so, are the typical VGA out cables for Pocket PC's capable of connecting to standard RCA female jacks (red, white, yellow)?

No, to connect to either an RGB (red, green, and blue jacks for video) or composite (yellow for video, red and white for audio) you'd need a converter box.

2) What Pocket PC devices offer VGA out besides the Dell Axim X50/51V (WM2003SE or WM5 only, no phone preferred)?

The HTC Advantage has this, as does the Omni, and the i-mate Ultimate series, though all of those are also phones, and very expensive.

Richard76
08-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks ADBrown. Yes, I have the composite (red, white, yellow) input on my DVD. So, given one end of the VGA out cable is proprietary for plugging into the device (such as the Axim), what is ordinarily on the other end of the cable then?

And yes, I am aware of the newer, high-priced devices with VGA out including the Universal. I am thinking of a non-phone PPC and it seems to me there were one or two other models other than the Axim. I think the iPaq HX4700 was one and was it Toshiba that also had one?

ADBrown
08-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks ADBrown. Yes, I have the composite (red, white, yellow) input on my DVD. So, given one end of the VGA out cable is proprietary for plugging into the device (such as the Axim), what is ordinarily on the other end of the cable then?

A standard 15-pin D-SUB connector, the same as seen on many monitors.

And yes, I am aware of the newer, high-priced devices with VGA out including the Universal. I am thinking of a non-phone PPC and it seems to me there were one or two other models other than the Axim. I think the iPaq HX4700 was one and was it Toshiba that also had one?

The 4700 doesn't have video out. The last Toshiba to have it was, I think, the e750, which is long since out of date. You might be able to find an expansion card called the FlyPresenter CF, which allowed for VGA or composite output on any device with a CF slot, but I'm not sure how well that would work, or whether they're even still made.

Cybrid
08-19-2007, 09:09 AM
The e8xx series also had the presentation pack.

Now that BT headsets are common...what about BT Screens...
Ok, wishful thinking ...