View Full Version : Creating an ad hoc network between PDAs and a laptop

joao.pio
08-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Greetings.

I'm thinking of starting a project that consists on the creation of a mobile voting system, where the voters use PDAs and send information to a central laptop or desktop via wi-fi. Since it's supposed to be as mobile as possible i wanted to communicate from the PDAs to the laptopts without any extra hardware like a wireless router or a switch.

I've been reading about ad hoc networks and the seem to be exactly what i want, but i'm not sure how to make it happen. I have for now been able to create one in my laptop and get my PDA to detect it and connect to it. But not only cant i define any of the IP setting like the subnet mask or the IP itself, but also i cant ping from the laptop to the PDA and vice versa.

Before i get more deeply into this, do you think an ad hoc network is the way to go, or should i consider another option?

Also, since it's an application that will require low amounts of data to be transfered should i opt for Bluetooth instead?

Nurhisham Hussein
08-17-2007, 08:46 AM
First, welcome to PPCT!

I'd seriously consider using a router instead - while you can use ad-hoc connections to create networks, you're less likely to have a stable connection. Secondly, IIRC, you'll have difficulty using any kind of security on ad-hoc networks. For network troubleshooting, there are some utilities available - look through our affiliate links (above) for commercial software, or www.pocketpcfreewares.com for freeware. BTW, you don't define IPs and subnet masks through the wireless applet in Windows Mobile - try the Connections applet instead.

joao.pio
08-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

The thing is, it's supposed to be a voting system for surf/skimboard competitions (and later for any kind of sports), so it will have to be a system that can be carried to the beach. If i have to set a wireless router at the beach that can be a headache.
As for security, i'm not really worried, at least for now, since i suppose that the beach is not a place where you find threats :)
The stability is an issue though, because the votes have to be cast pretty fast while the surfers are in their time limited rounds, and nothing can fail at that moment.

What about BlueTooth? Shares the same stability problems as an ad hoc WI-fi?

thierryb
08-17-2007, 02:04 PM
With bluetooth you will have the problem of distance. Taking a router is the simplest and the most reliable solution. The only thing that could missed you is power.

joao.pio
08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Well, with a router i would have to bring a generator to the beach... sounds like alot of truble. Well, come to think about it, they already bring one because the have the sound system to announce the scores. Still, would be nicer if it was independent.