View Full Version : Axim X30 and 2GB SD Card

Reid Kistler
08-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Finally reached point where the 256MB SD card I've been using in my X30 was "mostly" full & decided to replace it with a 2GB card (std Sandisk).

The 2GB card was loaded from a reader on my desktop system & seemed to work fine for several months (copied 256MB contents up to desktop & then onto 2GB card), but has now run into problems:

1) Tried to make a new DIR on the 2GB, from Axim: cannot do: "Card is Full" (or "No Space" or whatever...).

2) Put card in Reader: LOTS of room. Copied files to Desktop. All seems ok.
Axim still insists no room....

3) After MUCH internet research, decided problem probably in formatting: formatted card from desktop; formatted it again; formatted it specifying FAT (vs FAT32); formatted it from Axim, using Resco Explorer; formatted from Axim again (Spb utility); Quick format; Full Format.....
-> UPSHOT is that DESKTOP sees card as fine: can read & write files to it without problems: BUT Axim DOES NOT find any of the files copied to the card using the desktop reader: simply shows card as empty...

4) However, the Axim WILL copy (& read) to & from the card (ie: from Built-in Storage to External Card works fine).

Alas, if cannot Write to card from Desktop, makes Desktop BU Files pretty much A JOKE!

Looking for Ideas - Experience....

Anyone else using 2GB SD card with Axim X30? (Think it is on ROM v05: one prior to the last ROM update Dell issued).

Similar Problems? Solutions?

Thanks in advance -

RK / SE MI

Reid Kistler
08-15-2007, 08:47 PM
No solution yet, but fiddled around a bit:

1) Put 2GB SD card into digital camera, formatted card, and took a number of pictures: appeared to work fine.

2) Just For The Heck Of It, retried copying files from desktop (to 2GB card) & reading on Axim: no go.... (Copied ok, but Axim insisted card empty.)

3) Put 2GB back into camera, reformatted again: still stored / played back pix. Apparently no "harm" done by desktop / Axim.
(Added 2GB to my stock of Camera SD Cards: although others are "Ultra II" cards, already know from experience that the plain old SD cards work fine under most circumstances...)

4) Put the OLD 256MB SD card into Axim: read fine.

5) Put this same card into desktop Reader & "synced" with the BU had taken earlier (from 2GB Card), then put the 256 back into the Axim: all files show as having copied over correctly....
(Of course, I now have a card that is Largely Full instead of one that is Nearly Empty - but it DOES seem to work!)

Sooo: Neither card APPEARS to be "Defective"; The Axim Card reader / writer APPEARS to work; The Desktop Reader APPEARS to work....

But the Axim and the 2GB SD card do NOT get along with one another.

Sigh.

RK / SE MI

PS: Still interested to learn if anyone else is using this combo (2GB SD + Axim X30) and / or has had similar problem (Solution?!?).