View Full Version : Break/block Internet Explorer Mobile

rustynail
08-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi,

I wonder if anybody could highlight a way whether a software or anything else to break/block Internet Explorer Mobile on Windows Mobile 5.0.

At our company we have over 100 of these devices issued to people. They use it to access the company server for Activesync. I need to take away their ability to use internet on their mobile whether it is surfing, downloads or anything else while keeping Activesync working.

I figure one way to do this would be to uninstall or break IE mobile or make some change in the device that would stop IE from working. I just want to break the thing even if it means deleting some configuration/system file used by IE.

I found a utility called Pocket Policy at http://www.windowsmobiletools.com/products.html that claims to be able to do what I want. However I couldn't get it working. The documentation written in Word 2007 won't open on my system even after installing Office 2007 compatiblity tools.

Could any of you PDA geeks here come up with any ideas to disable IE access on these devices? Thanks for all help in advance.

RustyNail.

rustynail
08-15-2007, 02:22 PM
I redownloaded the PocketPolicy utility and now I can open the documentation. Let's see how this works. If I find the solution, I'll post it here.

All input welcome.

rustynail
08-15-2007, 04:14 PM
I got the utility installed on my PDA and it connects to my domain controller.

However, it doesn't look like its possible to control/block IE Mobile using GPO. I tried setting incorrect proxy address as 0.0.0.0 which would keep a desktop IE from surfing but it had no effect on IE mobile.

Any other ideas anyone? Any help now is much appreciated as I've already pulled 2 hair off my head now.

Thanks,

RustyNail.

Cybrid
08-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I got the utility installed on my PDA and it connects to my domain controller.

However, it doesn't look like its possible to control/block IE Mobile using GPO. I tried setting incorrect proxy address as 0.0.0.0 which would keep a desktop IE from surfing but it had no effect on IE mobile.

Any other ideas anyone? Any help now is much appreciated as I've already pulled 2 hair off my head now.

Thanks,

RustyNail. You could delete the PIE shortcuts that link to the programs exe file, kill the "open with..." registry for .htm/html/? so that ordinary users wouldn't be able to run PIE. While that doesn't entirely stop from being available...it would stifle most. :oops:
or
http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1204&jid=C7D59482CDB7BFFXBEBX6FA18D7823C9&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=160481