View Full Version : My Pocket PC won't shutdown...

balacasse
08-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I have a HTC Touch (P3450) with WM 6. I have two issues:

1) At some point (when many applications run or are in memory), the PPC will not shutdown. Even the switch button won't work. I have to do a soft re-initialization (using the stylus at the bottom of the device to re-initialize it). Anyone familiar with this problem?
2) When many applications are loaded in memory, when I try to activate the phone application (which should have priority), it won't run. I have to remove manually some applications to make room in memory... Any suggestions?

This seems to be a serious memory management problem! We should have a choice of "stop application and stay in memory" or "stop application and remove from memory"...

schmenge
08-12-2007, 01:29 AM
This seems to be a serious memory management problem! We should have a choice of "stop application and stay in memory" or "stop application and remove from memory"...

Every OS release people hope that MS addresses this issue and thus far they have not. :( There are many third party programs which can do this.

Cybrid
08-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Schmenge is correct. Some examples Magic button (free) or Wisbar lite or advanced (not free). Commonly called task switchers.

Re-initialize...commonly called soft reset...very well known and depending on device and work load...quite common.

Sven Johannsen
08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Scmenge is a bit harsh on this issue, but not really wrong. The concept has always been that as memory is being used, the OS will shut down applications that are not being used. The benefit is that it appears to make the most used apps 'load' faster, as they are already in memory. You are actually just switching to them, rather than opening them up. I've actually tried to force that issue and found it to work to some extent on some Smartphones, but I have yet to see a PPC shut down an app on it's own. It just seems to drag instead.

I have not though seen an instance where it was actually the shortage of memory that resulted in the inability to shut down the device...or at least it would be hard to deferrentiate that from just a bad app, that locked up the system. Do you have a lot of extra applications loaded? Can you narrow the issue down to a particular one? That is, is it more likely to lock up when one particular app is running, regardless if anything else is running with it.

As far as memory managers, which make really closing apps pretty convinient, my choice is SPB Pocket Plus. It has a lot of other features bundled with it, most of which I use, so the one 'app' is worth it. If you only need the memory management, or program management, there are others out there that do only that. Some free.