View Full Version : Looking for a reminder blocker/control utility.

sesummers
08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
After being awakened at 11:45pm last night for the umteenth time by my PocketPC, which was accidentally told to remind me 15 minutes before an all-day recurring event for somebody's birthday, I decided to try to find a utility to fix this problem.

So far, no luck.

What I want is a utility that lets me define what times I'm willing to allow alarms to play. I'd like to be able to tell it to defer all calendar and task based alarms set to off after 10PM to wait until say, 6AM on weekdays, and 7AM on weekends. I'd like to to NOT block the alarm clock alarms, since I sometimes need those to wake me up earlier.

Anyone know of such a thing?

schmenge
08-08-2007, 12:35 AM
After being awakened at 11:45pm last night for the umteenth time by my PocketPC, which was accidentally told to remind me 15 minutes before an all-day recurring event for somebody's birthday, I decided to try to find a utility to fix this problem.

So far, no luck.

What I want is a utility that lets me define what times I'm willing to allow alarms to play. I'd like to be able to tell it to defer all calendar and task based alarms set to off after 10PM to wait until say, 6AM on weekdays, and 7AM on weekends. I'd like to to NOT block the alarm clock alarms, since I sometimes need those to wake me up earlier.

No idea if this will do what you want, but have you looked at Alarm Today (www.pocketmax.net)?

Cybrid
08-10-2007, 04:54 AM

So far, no luck.

I'm sort of not understanding...
Reminders can be set to remind anywhere from 15 min to 15 days...
You can set it to any sound you would like...
Alarms are set separately, I'm not sure you'd need additional software. :)

sesummers
08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
No idea if this will do what you want, but have you looked at Alarm Today (www.pocketmax.net)?

Actually, their PhoneAlarm application is what I needed. I downloaded the trial for it. It seems to be doing what I want. Thanks for the link!

Brad Adrian
08-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm sort of not understanding...
I think the point was that the user wants to set a profile so that NO alarms will sound, say, between 9pm and 1am, even if an appointment with alarm is scheduled for those time.

sesummers
08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Actually, their PhoneAlarm application is what I needed. It seems to be doing what I want.

Update on this, in case anyone is interested.

The application does more than I was looking for, and so far, I like it a lot. It allows you to set up profiles like "Home", "Work", "Night", "Meeting", etc. For each one, you can control alarm sounds, volume, vibrate on/off, phone on/off, screen brightness, etc. You can then define a schedule - the times and days of the week that it switches to particular profiles. For example, at 10:30pm every night, mine switches to "Night" mode. At 6:30am on weekdays, and 7:30am on Saturday and Sunday, it switches to "Home". At 8:00am on weekdays, it switches to "Work" and at 6pm, back to "Home". In addition, it can read your calendar schedule, and switch modes based on meeting status. Mine switches to "Meeting" mode when my current appointment status is "Busy" for example.

My biggest gripe is that the only way to control it other than the schedule is by a today screen plug-in. I tend to be pretty minimalist on my today screen, so I'd rather not need this. Fortunately, it's skinnable, and there are a number of them on the web site, so I found one that is pretty tiny. But they all want to tell you the number of missed calls, voicemails, text messages, etc, and some of the skins take a lot of space to do that.

Bottom line- I don't buy a whole lot of WM software, but this one is worth the $20, and I just registered it.

Cybrid
08-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I think the point was that the user wants to set a profile so that NO alarms will sound, say, between 9pm and 1am, even if an appointment with alarm is scheduled for those time.Oh...I understood that part...and his later mini-review confirms it.
Having had a WM device for a long time and being too cheap to purchase software unless it is absolutely necessary makes me optimize my usage.

Some appointments I keep track of are Wife and kids appointments. Things I need to be aware of but not necessarily reminded of. Marked free...no reminder.

All day appointments, Birthdays, etc either marked free if action is not required or remind 1 Week in advance. Must buy gift for anniversary :lol:

Work and meetings marked remind in 1 hour. Yea! I'm not that busy :)

While I appreciate the utilities advantages...My ability to decide how to set my reminders is now second nature.

@CESummers: Did you know you can change the default reminder time in options?

sesummers
08-21-2007, 07:13 PM
[quote=Brad Adrian]
@SESummers: Did you know you can change the default reminder time in options?

Yes. However, there's only one, and for most of the specific time appointments I log (meetings, lunch dates, etc) 15 minutes is good. For some things, like dentist appointments 6 months from now, I set the reminder to several days. What's really annoying though is when I set a reminder to 1 week for a birthday or anniversary, so I have time to go get a card or gift. Since those are all day events, the reminder dutifully goes off 7 days before the date- at midnight.