View Full Version : sharing internet connection?

kaitanium
08-07-2007, 06:35 AM
wow its been a long time since ive been around these forums but does anyone know how i would go about sharing my laptops wireless internet so i can browse using my desktop?

Cybrid
08-10-2007, 05:21 AM
wow its been a long time since ive been around these forums but does anyone know how i would go about sharing my laptops wireless internet so i can browse using my desktop?ICS or on XP...bridging. A google will give you better how-to's than I could write ... :(

Joelacrane
09-29-2007, 05:30 AM
I can help with that one!

So let me get this strait, your laptop has wireless internet, and you want to share it with your desktop via Ethernet. Some details would be nice. When you provide them I can guide you though the setup process.

My current setup is as follows...
21.6kbps dial-up connection -> SERVER -> Ethernet -> Router -> Wired and wireless clients + DESKTOP -> Network Bridge -> Xbox 360

priji
01-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks.

Joelacrane
01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I might as well write up a quick step by step how to.

You'll need a few things to get everything up an running
1. A modem, such as a 56k Dial-up modem, an EDGE Cellular modem, or an ISDN modem
2. A router
3. A "gateway" computer to provide the connection, must have Windows XP, a modem, and an Ethernet card
4. Ethernet cables

Now to set everything up
1. Plug in your router.
2. Plug all of your wired computer into ports 1-4.
3. Log into your router with one of the wired computers, and set it up how you want it.
4. Somewhere in the router config, there will be an option to change its' IP address, you want it to be 192.168.1.1, instead of 192.168.0.1.

5. On your "gateway" computer, click Start>Control Panel>Network Connections.
6. Right click on "Local Area Connection" and click Enable.
7. Now right click on your internet connection, and select "Properties" from the menu.
8. Select the "Advanced" tab and check off the two upper boxes. The third box doesn't seem to do anything. Click ok.
9. Right click on your internet connection and hit connect.

10. Plug the gateway computer into your routers "WAN" or "Uplink" port.
11. On one of the client computers, test the connection.

The gateway now assigns 192.168.0.1 to itself, and then it will assign an IP address to your routers "WAN" port. The router will then turn around and assign IP addresses to the rest of the computers on the network, using 192.168.1.x instead of 192.168.0.x.

I haven't tried this, but you could probably leave out the hardware router, using an ethernet hub or a wireless access point. I like to use a router, because Windows Internet Connection Sharing just isn't as reliable a dedicated hardware router is. If something goes wrong on the gateway, the rest of the network still works fine.

If you plan on only sharing the connection with one computer, you can buy a "crossover" ethernet cable to run directly from the gateway computer to the client computer. You might even be able to set up an Ad-Hoc (Peer to Peer) wireless network and share internet across it.