View Full Version : Bluetooth SIG Apopts New Core Version 2.1 + EDR

Ed Hansberry
08-06-2007, 04:00 PM
<a href="http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Press/SIG/BLUETOOTH_SIG_ADOPTS_NEW_CORE_VERSION_21__EDR.htm">http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Press/SIG/BLUETOOTH_SIG_ADOPTS_NEW_CORE_VERSION_21__EDR.htm</a><br /><br /><i>"The Board of Directors of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG), the more than 8,000-member strong trade association responsible for advancing Bluetooth wireless technology, today announced the adoption of Core Specification Version 2.1+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) by unanimous approval. Through advances in security, simplified pairing and power consumption, the new Bluetooth specification will offer consumers a further improved Bluetooth experience. “The simplified pairing process enabled by Version 2.1+EDR has received overwhelmingly positive feedback from media, analysts and member companies. This leap forward in usability further improves the Bluetooth experience and makes the technology easy for anyone to enjoy,” said Michael Foley, Ph.D., executive director of the Bluetooth SIG. “Also, in our effort to unite wireless technologies, Version 2.1 + EDR enables the ultra short range technology called Near Field Communication (NFC) for a pairing scenario that is as simple as touching the products together.”</i><br /><br />I must admit, I am confused. I have been repeatedly told that Bluetooth is easy to use. How can you improve on that? :wink: I have totally quit using bluetooth except for my wireless headset. My ThinkOutside bluetooth keyboard sits there collecting dust because I can't figure out which driver to use on my Windows Mobile 6 device and my Dell Precision M65 laptop's bluetooth doesn't work at all with WMDC. I just have that blue "B" on the hinge lit up with a blue LED mocking me telling me it is on, but not doing a darn thing. Now that I think about it, I can see how the BT SIG could improve things. They couldn't possibly make them worse.

Dyvim
08-06-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't think the problem is Bluetooth per se. The problem is the implementation of Bluetooth in Windows and Windows Mobile.

For example, my car has the ability to connect with bluetooth-enabled phones using the headset profile. My phone is a Motorola SLVR, and I had to pair it with the car once - and it was so easy that I was able to do it while waiting in the Taco Bell drive-thru without reading any instructions. And I've never had to touch anything since then (9 months ago). Every time I start my car and my phone is in the car, they pair up and connect: simple &amp; elegant. I don't need to think about it- it just happens and it works.

I wish all Bluetooth use could be like that. Pairing my laptop with my WM devices is never this easy.

RogueSpear
08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure what you're problem is exactly but I normally don't have any problems with BT at all. As far as PPC goes I'm using my trusty 3975 so the extent of BT usage with that is mainly my GPS receiver although I do sometimes ActiveSync using BT if I don't need to charge it as well.

The only problem I've really ever really had is getting DUN to work properly between my 3975 and my SE S710a. Once I get it working it's rock solid, but anytime I have to hard reset the ipaq it's a hassle.

I also use a headset with both my phone and my laptop, and excellent Logitech BlueTooth travel mouse that I simply couldn't live without. I tether to phone with the laptop all the time and even though it's only a class 10 edge connection it allows me to terminal service through a Cisco VPN connection just fine.

I've all but given up on Windows Mobile. My ipaq has served me well for several years now, but sadly there hasn't been anything compelling since then to make me want to upgrade. The situation with BT under WM is one of the reasons too. I've read too many horror stories about crappy stacks, etc. If anything I think Microsoft has been dropping the ball, not BT.

In the end I absolutely love BT and would never want to go back to the days without it. My only wish is that they would really get the high quality audio sorted out. I would kill to have superb sound piped from my phone or my laptop to a stereo receiver, bluetooth speakers, my car radio, etc. Then I will truly be in BlueTooth nirvana.

graybip
08-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Ed, I have this keyboard and have no problem connecting to my WM6 devices. I go to the IGo website and download the appropriate driver, then install it. Sometimes I will be asked to disable the keyboard driver that is already on the device. I do it and all seems to work out fine. :?

jgrnt1
08-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Ed,

I have to agree with Dyvim. I think the issue is Microsoft's Bluetooth implementation, not the Bluetooth standard.

Microsoft's Bluetooth stack in WM5 is horrible. I always had trouble pairing my PPC phone (AT&amp;T/Cingular 8525) with the Parrot Bluetooth hands-free kit I had installed in my car. It dropped the connection quite often, requiring a soft reset to get it back.

I recently bought a new car (Toyota Camry Hybrid). It has Bluetooth hands-free built in. I could pair my phone with it, but could not transfer the phone book at all, not even one contact at a time. It also randomly dropped the connection. Toyota's web site lists compatible and incompatible phones. All WM phones were shown as incompatible. Two weeks ago, I installed WM6 on my phone. All the BT issues have disappeared. Pairing is incredibly quick. The connection is rock solid and the phone book transferred automatically. As I understand it, Microsoft made some significant improvements to the BT stack in WM6.

WMDC is another issue entirely. I think you've expounded on its wonders already, though. :D

Sven Johannsen
08-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Ed, Ed, Ed. Why must you be BT's Lex Luther. As you see above it is typically not the fault of the poor standard, but those that abuse it. It's like blaming the Pit Bull breed for things irresponsible owners do. The BT implementation prior to MSs mangling and monopoly was easy and effective. My X50 for example has a BT manager that is easy, effective, and 90% complete. It doesn't have a native HID profile, but it came out when BT keyboards and mice weren't ubiquitous. I was able to add it easily though with ThinkOutside drivers.

I can see what I have pairings with, and what I have currently connected very easily. I've had it connected with multiple things at once..yes even AS, before that was dumbed down for our benefit.

It's not a bad standard, ED, just bad programmers. :lol:

jgrnt1
08-06-2007, 11:39 PM
It's like blaming the Pit Bull breed for things irresponsible owners do.
No, they're right about Pit Bulls... :wink:

Ed Hansberry
08-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Ed, I have this keyboard and have no problem connecting to my WM6 devices. I go to the IGo website and download the appropriate driver, then install it. Sometimes I will be asked to disable the keyboard driver that is already on the device. I do it and all seems to work out fine. :?
Can't. They only have my model listed as a WM5 device. I just want the Wm6 driver. I don't see how to download by OS.

daS
08-07-2007, 09:45 PM
They only have my model listed as a WM5 device. I just want the Wm6 driver. I don't see how to download by OS.
Have you tried the WM5 driver? Since the core OS is the same in WM5 &amp; WM6, I would [i]assume[i] it would work.

BTW: I still find your rants on Bluetooth to be selective considering how confusing Wi-Fi is (if you want any sort of security.) And don't get me started on HDTV connections or even using a DVD remote control! 8O

The issue of ease of use is not isolated to Bluetooth. In fact, Bluetooth is making greater strides towards simplicity while other consumer electronic interfaces are getting harder to comprehend.