View Full Version : Recording with Blue tooth headset, without using phone

j_franz77
08-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Ultimately what I am looking to do is go out with 5 of my friends, all with blue tooth headsets on and be able to record all of our conversations on a computer left in the car. Is this possible?

Can a computer recieve multiple blue tooth head set signals and record the audio?

How would I increase the Bluetooth signal to reach the car?

Thank you for your help.

Sven Johannsen
08-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Ultimately what I am looking to do is go out with 5 of my friends, all with blue tooth headsets on and be able to record all of our conversations on a computer left in the car. Is this possible?

Can a computer recieve multiple blue tooth head set signals and record the audio?

No. While you can have more than one BT profile open at a time, such as Serial, Handsfree, A2DP, it is not typically possible to invoke several instances of the same profile. Not saying that would be impossible, but I have never seen a BT implementation that allows for more than one of the same audio profile.

How would I increase the Bluetooth signal to reach the car?
This is less relevent considering the last answer, but the way to increase radio range is to 1) increase power, which would require re-engineering the device and invalidate the fcc licensing, or 2) using a directional antenna. This would be technically feasible, if you can find a BT headset that has an antenna jack, or have the skills to add one. Once that hurdle is surmounted the actual antenna is easy, as BT is the same frequency band as WiFi (802.11B). The readily available cantennas (commercial or homemade pringle can things) will work fine. Of course I can't be responsible for how you and your friends will look in a bar or whatever, all with wires going from your ears to pringles cans that you are pointing in the direction of the parking lot.

You could also fashion a little parabolic dish out of aluminum foil that fits over the ear with the BT headset. You would have to keep that ear turned towards the car though. Not sure that would be any more socially ingratiating than the cantenna. Maybe if you put one on both ears, just for the symmetry.

martin_ayton
08-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Sven. I enjoyed that :lol:

j_franz77
08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
hahaha thanks for the advice. I guess bluetooth wouldn't be the best way to go about recording the audio.

Do you have any other recommendations to record everyones audio? I want to be as discrete as possible. Therefore no boom mics. And wireless lavalier mics are too expensive.

I was thinking maybe using hand held voice recorders, if its possible to have an ear piece or way to free your hands.

I just want to be able to record 5 or so individuals conversations, in the most discrete way possible.

Cybrid
08-03-2007, 03:23 AM
hahaha thanks for the advice. I guess bluetooth wouldn't be the best way to go about recording the audio.

Do you have any other recommendations to record everyones audio? I want to be as discrete as possible. Therefore no boom mics. And wireless lavalier mics are too expensive.

I was thinking maybe using hand held voice recorders, if its possible to have an ear piece or way to free your hands.

I just want to be able to record 5 or so individuals conversations, in the most discrete way possible.Easiest and most economical...buy a few of the 128Mb cheapo mp3 players with an on board mike. No-one would think twice if anyone even saw it. For the sake of discretion... don't buy 5 identical units...and consider that a bar is a very noisy place. Omnidirectional mikes will pick up huge amounts of noise. directional external mikes would be better and you'll need some way to clean up the audio "post production".

Sven Johannsen
08-03-2007, 04:59 AM
The MP3 player idea is pretty good, but I got the impression you were looking to get a good recording of all the conversations...sort of mixing them onto the recording. Is that what you are looking for? Don't have a good solution, just refining the requirements.

Why are you concerned about the earpieces? Are you wanting to listen in, or is this to archive/analyse later?

Cybrid
08-03-2007, 08:03 AM
:devilboy: Braggin' rights. I reckon. :devilboy:
Only thing that makes sense...other than a uncontrolled sociology project.
A bar not being conversation friendly and you wouldn't need five unless you were attempting to record five simultaneously different conversations. If he were staff...like the band...no need for discretion or there's much better choices.
I'm guessing they wanna see who gets the most...uh... intercourse. (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/intercourse)