View Full Version : WM6 outlook calendar

liverleef
07-25-2007, 03:52 AM
Well I was using a trusty Samsung palm OS based i500 pda phone. I was using a product called dateman instead of the palm datebook. I liked dateman because when I created an event that spanned multiple days it displayed a banner across those days displaying the name of the event. For instance if I need to be in San Antonio TX that week, then the words "San Antonio TX" would display as a single banner across the appropriate days. This way I could quickly look at the month view and see where I would be each week. It worked really well in conjunction with palm desktop.

The lure of EVDO and other bells and whistles was too great so I bought a pocket pc. I bought a HTC mogul the other day, and it is a pretty slick device but I HATE the outlook calendar. First, when I create a reoccuring event in outlook on my pc and use activesync, the reoccuring event (which usually spans 5 days) does not sync. I just get an error (code 0) I believe. Everything else will sync . If I try to create the reoccuring events in pocket outlook I dont get a banner going across the screen, I get a square in each day that the even occurs. This doesnt tell me anything. Is there a way to display the description of an event accross multiple days in outlook or is there 3rd party software that will do this? Sorry to ramble, been working on this for hours!

A million thanks to anyone who can help.

Mark Kenepp
07-25-2007, 06:05 PM
I have never heard of DateMan but there are certainly third party PIM enhancements. The two big ones are Pocket Informant (http://www.pocketinformant.com/?p_id=pi) and Agenda Fusion (http://www.developerone.com/agendafusion/index.htm). To find a list of others, go to a software house like Handango (http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformSoftwareSection.jsp?jid=34FEFD264B255947XA6D9EDFD815697A&special=&platformId=2&bySection=1&siteId=311&topSectionId=5603&sectionId=5851&catalog=30&title=Calendar) and try to narrow down the category as I have done in the aforementioned link.

Both Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant have trial versions and hopefully many others do as well so you can install and see if the program does what you want.

Admittedly, I don't believe Agenda Fusion or Pocket Informant will display multi-day events they way you want :(

Regarding your problem with syncing, a third party PIM enhancement will not correct that issue.

I would recommend getting the synchronization issue sorted first.

For starters, does anything sync at all?

Are you syncing through Exchange Server Activesync (over the air) or directly to a desktop Outlook client? If syncing to a desktop Outlook client, is your data stored in a personal folders file (pst) or is your client connected to an Exchange Server?

Tracking down Activesync errors can get tedious. The usual steps to take are:

1. Delete the Partnership and start a new one

2. Uninstall then reinstall ActiveSync

3. Install the latest version of ActiveSync (or sometimes, go back a version)
There may even be corruption in your calendar data in which case it may be necessary to find the corrupted data and remove it.

My first suggestion would depend on if you have any synchronization at all.

If you can sync, but no calendar entries are syncing, I would try moving everything out of my calendar and syncing one or two clean, new appointments. Then if it is successful, experiment with moving back the original calendar entries until they are all back or the problem pops up again.

If the calendar is syncing, but multi-day events are not, I would still try the above steps first and even try creating a brand new PST file to see if that will sync correctly.

Of course, these steps do depend on what kind of setup you have.

liverleef
07-25-2007, 06:21 PM
1. Delete the Partnership and start a new one

2. Uninstall then reinstall ActiveSync

3. Install the latest version of ActiveSync (or sometimes, go back a version)
There may even be corruption in your calendar data in which case it may be necessary to find the corrupted data and remove it.

My first suggestion would depend on if you have any synchronization at all.

Thanks Mark for replying, you made some good suggestions and I tried them but they did not work. All of the calendar appointments will sync except for the all day events that span multiple days. I'm not as concerned about the syncing because I can work around that or figure something out. I'm still looking for a 3rd party app that would accomplish the banner issue. I've about given up