View Full Version : Internet Conection On Windows Mobile PDA trought external modem

LuisCorreia
07-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Hi!
I'd like to buy the HP iPAQ RX5710 With Windows Mobile 5.0 and I wonder if it is possible to connect the internet.
The PDA doesn't have Wi-Fi, but it as USB port and Bluetooth. I have a ZTE modem for wireless connection trought UMTS/GPRS. Does anyone knows if it's compatible to windows mobile ? Or if there's any other way ?

Thanks, it would be realy helpful to help me made my mind.

Cybrid
07-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi!
I'd like to buy the HP iPAQ RX5710 With Windows Mobile 5.0 and I wonder if it is possible to connect the internet.
The PDA doesn't have Wi-Fi, but it as USB port and Bluetooth. I have a ZTE modem for wireless connection trought UMTS/GPRS. Does anyone knows if it's compatible to windows mobile ? Or if there's any other way ?

Thanks, it would be realy helpful to help me made my mind.I don't think that'll work. I googled and didn't see the Rx5710 as having USB host. I may be wrong.

For alternatives, bluetooth or serial cable connections to compatible cellphones, a WiFi card...

Nurhisham Hussein
07-22-2007, 04:39 PM
I googled and didn't see the Rx5710 as having USB host. I may be wrong.

You aren't, HP rarely include USB host in their devices (I can't remember one ince 2002, and that was a Compaq).

azcaddman
08-07-2007, 05:36 PM
You might try looking at http://www.howardforums.com/

I've sucessfully used 2 motorola cell phones (verizion) as dial up modems for an axim x51v, and an ipaq hx4700, both via bluetooth. connection speed in the 375kbs range.

Art

clbsvi
08-26-2007, 10:54 AM
IMHO, Bluetooth is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!! BT may have some value, such as in using a BT cell phone in a car (to keep the local police off your butt), or in some similar environment where its VERY limited range may have some value.

I suggest that you rethink your PPC purchase and select one with built-in WiFi. After 3 years of frustrated trying, I was finally able, three weeks ago, to get on-line using an HP hx2765-2795 series PPC with both built-in BT and WiFi, through a WiFi/BT enabled (Centrino) Toshiba laptop. This same PPC has a Compact Flash slot with 512MB of storage (portable to your next PPC), and also an SD card slot which I never use.

WiFi can also be used anyhere you can find a "Hotspot," such as many city and school libraries, bookstores, internet cafes, airports, hotels, restuarants and so on. Some enlightenend US cities are even providing city-wide WiFi for public use. Even my local burg, in red-neck northwest Florida, has a downtown WiFi public-use network with a usable radius of about 4 miles.

Cybrid
08-27-2007, 08:37 AM
IMHO, Bluetooth is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!! As with any thing...I found BT confusing at first too. Funnily enough when I found out that it uses similar protocols to WiFi...that's when it began to make sense.

Hx4700
08-27-2007, 05:10 PM
This same PPC has a Compact Flash slot with 512MB of storage (portable to your next PPC), and also an SD card slot which I never use.
clvsbi- you should start saving stuff to your SD card slot just to be sure it works. There are next to none new PDAs using CF now. My latest has even gone down to miniSD size. -Lost one already :(
Ron...