View Full Version : MS Reader for WM 6?

SteveHoward999
07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Any sign yet of MS Reader for WM 6? The latest I saw on Microsoft site said it was just updated for WM 5...

ADBrown
07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Nothing I've seen. Chances are that if it happens at all, it'll be six or seven months from now.

ChristopherTD
07-13-2007, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't hold your breath - we are still waiting for a version that supports VGA screens properly!

There hasn't been an update for almost 2 years.

SteveHoward999
07-13-2007, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath - we are still waiting for a version that supports VGA screens properly!

There hasn't been an update for almost 2 years.

The WM 5 version was new a couple of months or three ago.

If you run something like SE_VGA, then MS Reader runs fine in real VGA mode.

ChristopherTD
07-16-2007, 08:35 AM
The latest version on the MS Reader website is Nov 2005 - is there a more recent one hidden somewhere?

I found RealVGA/TrueVGA hacks broke too much for me, so MS Reader is stuck at QVGA on my machine. eReader works much better, you can select a font and size to suit your eyesight!

juni
07-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I always wondered about that: Why can't you set the size properly in MS Reader? It always appears big, even when set to "smallest".

ChristopherTD
07-17-2007, 08:05 AM
I think that the MS Reader "vision" was to produce a page that looked as much like a printed page as possible, which was fine when used on a normal PC screen (where it first appeared). On a smaller screen the generous margins and large font size is very restrictive, but they seem reluctant to abandon the Reader look.

It is possible (as Steve said) to force Reader to display more using a system wide VGA hack, but that is really only for adventurous souls! I did try it, and Reader was wonderful, but lots of other things weren't.

eReaders options allow you to tweak the margin and fonts just so. The end result may not look like a page from a book so much, but it is more pleasant to read!