View Full Version : Favorite MP3 player software?

Godsongz
07-09-2007, 06:55 AM
I know, it's subjective... but I'm curious. With a new 4gb SD card and a new mini-FM transmitter, I'm planning on breathing a little life into an old PPC as a media player for the car. What's the best software out there now for playing music? My absolute requirements are simple...

-Big buttons, so I don't have to fumble much with the software while driving, no stylus
-Easy use of playlists

...anything else is a plus. Thoughts?

Nurhisham Hussein
07-09-2007, 08:15 AM
I wish it had easier to use playlist functions, but I wouldn't use anything but Mort Player (http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?module=frontpage&entry=&action=&menu=11) in the car (and it's free too!).

psyjohn
07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
I'll second that for Mort player. And, since we're stuck with media player on our devices you can use that to create playlists. Mort will read them just fine.

asims
07-09-2007, 06:45 PM
MortPlayer will get a thumbs up from me as well! Not only does it have a "Car Screen" button that changes the layout to bigger buttons, it also has options to turn off after so many minutes, and to wake you up to whatever song(s) you want. It is a well-written (and free!) program.

emuelle1
07-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I used MortPlayer for years, and all along it was the best MP3 player I found for the Pocket PC platform. My favorite feature was Remember Playback Position. I tend to listen to a lot of podcasts and it was important to me to get out of the car at work and pick up where I left off for my drive home.

Honestly though, since I got my video iPod, I don't use my Pocket PC for digital media anymore.

jasonc
07-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Personally, I'm partial to Pocket Player (http://www.conduits.com/products/player/) from Conduits. Yes, you have to pay for the software ($19.95), but it's the closest thing you'll find to iPod-like media library management. With one hand I can easily select music by album, artist, or genre.. this is a must for in-car operation.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-11-2007, 01:47 AM
With one hand I can easily select music by album, artist, or genre.. this is a must for in-car operation.

That's my one main criticism of MortPlayer - not that easy to change playlists on the fly. To be fair, that could just be a problem with the default skins.

emuelle1
07-11-2007, 11:54 AM
I can't say I ever really listened to music on my Pocket PC. I've been listening to podcasts and similar media for years, which is why the iPod comes in so handy.

psyjohn
07-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I set a couple hardware buttons under the settings menu in MortPlayer, and changing playlists is no problem with one hand. I use mine in the car quite often.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-12-2007, 01:35 AM
I set a couple hardware buttons under the settings menu in MortPlayer, and changing playlists is no problem with one hand.

Cool, I have to try that!

rookcnu
07-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Just installed Version 3.31 RC7.

Very nice app.

However,... don't you think it is a bit odd that it does not support .wma?