View Full Version : Toshiba Portege G900 Unboxing Video

Nurhisham Hussein
07-06-2007, 09:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/2007/07/05/toshiba_portege_g900_unboxed' target='_blank'>http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs...ge_g900_unboxed</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Last week Toshiba finally launched the Toshiba Portégé G900, which is the bigger brother of the Portégé G500. This is a device we have been looking forward to since we first saw the specs back in February. Of particular interest is that hi-res 800 x 480 3" display and the fast 520MHz CPU! Just today we managed to get our hands on a review unit and will writing that up over the next week."</i><br /><br /><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFmcAe0mik4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFmcAe0mik4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><br /><br />What got my attention here was the price - £339 ex VAT. That's even cheaper than I originally thought, and makes it an even more viable alternative to the HTC Hermes/Kaiser. I'm awaiting the review with bated breath - meantime, enjoy the video!

Underwater Mike
07-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Over the last year I've grown fairly dissatisfied with my 8125/Wizard. Slow processor, tough time holding a good signal and, of course, EDGE. :bad-words:

I wish more companies would make quad-band GMS phones that I could afford to buy without a contract commitment. I'm still stuck with Cingular/ATT for another year, and I can't upgrade yet, either.

SteveHoward999
07-06-2007, 03:41 PM
I wish more companies would make quad-band GMS phones that I could afford to buy without a contract commitment. I'm still stuck with Cingular/ATT for another year, and I can't upgrade yet, either.

I know finances can be tough, and I do sympathise.

Fortunately, in the three years I have lived in America I have been able to buy the devices I want rather than be locked into a contract and a fast-aging, low-powered device.

I sincerely hope that the US consumer wakes up to the reality of the bad service they get from US service providers by locking them into 2 year contracts. Look at the iPhone; $500 or $600 up front, plus at least $1400 for the 2 year contract you have to sign.

I want to see more consumers bypass these charges and force the phone companies to give better devices without locking us into their contracts. Once that happens, more companies will find it attractive to make fantastic devices like this Toshiba as Quad-band instead of Tri-band machines.

Eriq Cook
07-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Good idea but unfortunately I don't think we'll see a mass of consumers bypassing the contracts anytime soon because they don't want to pay $200+ more for a phone. I hate being locked into 2 year contracts as much as anyone. Technology is moving fast and every carrier keeps coming out with a newer Windows Mobile device that does something better every 6-12 months.

I'm not too happy with the T-Mobile Wing anymore, and would switch to the new Sprint Windows Mobile phone if I didn't have to deal with the hassle of switching service providers. My "contract" with T-Mobile was extended until 2009. I'm sure by then there will be a much better device released by another carrier and I'll just bite the bullet and switch. T-Mobile is SLOW rolling out the new high speed network and they only have 1 or 2 medeocre Windows Mobile devices at a time.

I know finances can be tough, and I do sympathise.

Fortunately, in the three years I have lived in America I have been able to buy the devices I want rather than be locked into a contract and a fast-aging, low-powered device.

I sincerely hope that the US consumer wakes up to the reality of the bad service they get from US service providers by locking them into 2 year contracts. Look at the iPhone; $500 or $600 up front, plus at least $1400 for the 2 year contract you have to sign.

I want to see more consumers bypass these charges and force the phone companies to give better devices without locking us into their contracts. Once that happens, more companies will find it attractive to make fantastic devices like this Toshiba as Quad-band instead of Tri-band machines.

SteveHoward999
07-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Good idea but unfortunately I don't think we'll see a mass of consumers bypassing the contracts anytime soon because they don't want to pay $200+ more for a phone.

Yeah I know, but it's a false economy. But we know it's going to take a large change in attitude to recognise that.

By the way, eBay should be everyone's friend when trying to win this battle. The last two phones I bought were $400 unlocked from Nokia, v's $99 from Cingular, locked into a contract. I paid $150 and $140 for them, one was brand new, the other was 3 months old, or so. My point being that most of us will find $150 much easier to afford than $400!!!!! All it takes is a little patience and careful buying.

Leo_dee
07-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I like the G900 so far, sure it's big but if you want a large, hi-res screen, you need a large device to house it!

Here are a few more posts for you to enjoy!

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/2007/07/06/toshiba_portege_g900_screen

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/2007/07/06/toshiba_portege_g900_display_video

virain
07-06-2007, 08:23 PM
FYI: Do you know that AT&amp;T and T-Mobile USA have 1 year contracts? They don't advertise them, you have to ask. A phone will be at a premium compare to 2 year contract but not at the full price. I've been T-Mobile customer for .... since it was VoiceStream, the last device that I bought from them was IPAQ 6515 (I don't remember the model number), That was a terible device, I have changed 5 of them, then sold it to someone and bougth unlocked I-mate Jam. Since then I buy only unlocked devices of my choice, and being a loyal T-Mo cutomer I have 700 min for instead of 600 that comes at the same price, great support, the only problem is a lock of 3G, but according to engadget, It might have it officialy rolled out this fall (http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/05/fcc-approves-samsung-shg-t639-t-mobiles-first-3g-phone/). So I am exploring my choices for 3G device. Right now, my top picks are either HTC Kaiser or ETen X800, time will show. Plus, if I decide to switch to AT&amp;T, I ca use same phone, or phone of my choice, I think it worth the price I pay for unlocked device.

tdcao
07-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Didn't want to sound like a smart ass. But if any one is going to buy a new PPC, shouldn't one aim for something with at least:

fast CPU
128 MB RAM
VGA screen

quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
tri band UMTS/HSDPA

video-out (optional)
GPS (optional)

with the above minimum options, imate ultimate line seems to be the only logical dream PPCs or top picks?

I just want to alert people to all "3G" PPC choices out there that only come with SINGLE BAND UMTS/HSDPA, 64MB RAM, QVGA screen and are already obsolete in the US service markets.

Is imate so horrible that it's a given their PPCs are just luxury paperweights?

SteveHoward999
07-08-2007, 03:26 PM
with the above minimum options, imate ultimate line seems to be the only logical dream PPCs or top picks?

I agree - except that if Toshiba had done 'the right thing' with quad-band, the G900 would have been my choice by virtue of its screen.

I have been raving to my friends about the Ultimate series for months. Still waiting to see any of them in the flesh ...

martin_ayton
07-09-2007, 09:34 AM
But if any one is going to buy a new PPC, shouldn't one aim for something with at least:
{deleted}
VGA screen

I agree with all your list except this one. I have no objections to VGA screens, and I wish that there were more units out there which offered a good VGA or WVGA screen, but there is always a trade off: If you want a richer screen experience, you are going to pay for it in lower battery life, a slower performance (for any given processor speed) and a bigger brick. Right now, good battery life, snappy performance and real pocketability are more important to me, so I would *choose* a QVGA screen.