View Full Version : Two new sites (for me), to purchase ebooks

sparky99
07-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I do most of my fiction reading with eReader, but have become increasingly fustrated them. They do not seem to release ebooks at the same rate as some other sites. Alos, their prices are a bit inflated, even with their discount codes they I get with their newsletter.

I've found two new sites, at least new for me, that appear to have a more up to date selection of ebooks and are also cheaper than eReader as well.

Check out www.simonsays.com and www.booksonboard.com.

I've recently purchased 20 or so books from SimonSays (which is Simon and Schuster...they also sell dead tree books). They have 3 to 4 formats available. Their site is a little pokey and the organization isn't the best. For instance, I mainly read Star Trek fiction (insert joke here.) They have a "department" for just this sub-genre. However, not all Star Trek ebooks are listed here. If you go to the general ebook section and do a search for "Star Trek" you will find all of the Trek ebooks. A little fustrating, but worth it IMO, since their prices are the best.

The other site, BooksOnBoard (entirely ebook), is very new to me. I have not yet made a purchase from them. They look to have similar prices as SimonSays, but an even greater selection of ebooks.

Both of these sites do not require memberships, prepays or any of the annoying things that some other e-stores require. These are simply e-book stores.

I would be interested to hear from you about your experiences with these store and any others that you prefer. The only other ones that I have had experience with are:
-eReader (ok, but a little pricey and lacking selection)
-Fictionwise (same as above, but micropay confusing adn annoying)
-Mobibook (do not like reader at all)

Hope this helps and gives you more ebook buying options!

Jorgen
07-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Buying DRM protected ebooks is fine as long as you maintain a platform to read them on. If you want to change to for example an eInk device such as for example the Sony Reader, you can wave goodbye to all your eReader (and other DRM protected) books. Even if an eInk device should support eReader books, you are limited in your choice of reader. (If you have no idea of what an eInk reader is, have a look at mobileread.com.)

This is a good argument for going for non-DRM protected books such as the multiformat ebooks from Fictionwise or from authors who like stevejordanbooks.com sell their books without DRM. Or make your own from public domain sources: I have made many great ebooks from Project Gutenberg texts.

I am still happy with reading on my Palm and PPCs, but when the eInk devices get cheap, I will want to change to one of these. And when I do, my eyes will undoubtedly hurt if I try to read on the comparatively horrible PPC screen. :)

PetiteFlower
07-12-2007, 06:17 PM
I discovered Books On Board a few months ago and have made several purchases from them. I've been very happy, no problems and the prices are a significant discount from what eReader offers. I still use eReader format since that's my favorite program but I probably won't be buying from them anymore.