View Full Version : Switched to a phone enabled PPC

Dale Daniels
07-03-2007, 02:38 PM
A lot can change in a year. Last year I was so underwhelmed with the phone enabled devices, so I stuck with my hx2795. It's superior processor and general usefulness made it the perfect choice for a power user like me.

A few months ago I researched phone devices because my wife wanted one. I wanted to make sure she did not end up with one that would disappoint her and ended up buying a Cingular 8525. After giving it a try I was impressed! Well I could not resist and yesterday I became a phone enabled device user. I am posting this on the 8525 right now.

Are there any other PPC users who have recently switched? What is the resul positive or negative?t

Don Tolson
07-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I switched to an Eten X500 a few months ago. I haven't been disappointed - it's one of the best phones I've ever owned, in terms of signal quality and consistency. It's great having my PPC and phone in one handheld unit, and I don't mind occassionally putting the screen to my ear as much as I thought I would. Most times, tho, I use the BT headset.

emuelle1
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Every time I come up for a phone upgrade, I tell my wife I want a PPC phone, but every time I'm told the budget won't support it. I'd love to have one. Since I got a video iPod, I need to trim back to 2 devices.

Mark Kenepp
07-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I have been using my TyTN for a good five months now. Even after I purchased it, I still thought I would carry around my Loox n560 but that idea only lasted a couple of days.

There are still a few things I do with the n560 besides the obvious GPS but for day to day stuff, it is all on the phone now.

I surprised myself, being a two device guy for almost ten years before "converging."

I do have one gripe, though. If I am on the phone and need to look something up on my handheld, I have to interrupt the phone call. Usually I just tell the person I am talking to that I will have to call them back with the information. I guess if I were using my headset, that would not be a problem.

Swanston
07-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Don't you think this can be a hit or miss? But, when it works, you can come away with real results.
http://www.randyswanston.com/tube/

shaun0207
07-06-2007, 05:40 PM
I had a A920 with Sprint and my girlfriend got a Moto Q for my B-Day in Feb. But I just bought both of us the PPC6800 (Mogul) last week. I loved my Q, but this phone is great.

Dale Daniels
07-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I know what you mean about it being a great phone. I was absolutely dumbfounded when I saw what the 8525 could do. The thing that I disliked about smartphones or phone enabled devices, was their limited applications. The 8525 is the total package for me.

That was a major reason that I passed on the Blackjack. And despite the opinion of many SP users, I love touchscreens.

shaun0207
07-06-2007, 10:04 PM
I know what you mean about it being a great phone. I was absolutely dumbfounded when I saw what the 8525 could do. The thing that I disliked about smartphones or phone enabled devices, was their limited applications. The 8525 is the total package for me.

That was a major reason that I passed on the Blackjack. And despite the opinion of many SP users, I love touchscreens.

Yeah, I do nt have any problems with the touchscreen. You get a free screen protector with the phone. Mine works great. Getting to Resco Viewer to see if its any good.

Janak Parekh
07-07-2007, 03:14 AM
Every time I come up for a phone upgrade, I tell my wife I want a PPC phone, but every time I'm told the budget won't support it. I'd love to have one. Since I got a video iPod, I need to trim back to 2 devices.
Which carrier do you have? If budget is really an issue, you may want to look for an older unit out on eBay or some other resale sites... some of them are still quite decent, if slower.

--janak

Dale Daniels
07-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Janak is right. I saved about $200 buying an new unlocked phone on ebay.

DiGiTYZED
07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I recently swapped out my Samsung A900 for a A900M and went ape sh1t over its built-in GPS. GPS navigation was good on that phone, but I figured it would be great on a Pocket PC, so I finally took the plunge and bought my first Windows Mobile phone (HTC Mogul/Sprint PPC-6800). So far I'm very pleased. GPS Nav works better, the device isn't that bulky and ugly compared to my old phone, mobile broadband always was sweet on my A900M but adding wifi makes it sweeter and the slightly larger screen is a bonus.

Having the Windows Mobile features and power are great but it would nice if these "phone edition" devices had a more streamlined, intuitive and friendlier user interface and workflow.

shaun0207
07-09-2007, 02:15 PM
I recently swapped out my Samsung A900 for a A900M and went ape sh1t over its built-in GPS. GPS navigation was good on that phone, but I figured it would be great on a Pocket PC, so I finally took the plunge and bought my first Windows Mobile phone (HTC Mogul/Sprint PPC-6800). So far I'm very pleased. GPS Nav works better, the device isn't that bulky and ugly compared to my old phone, mobile broadband always was sweet on my A900M but adding wifi makes it sweeter and the slightly larger screen is a bonus.

Having the Windows Mobile features and power are great but it would nice if these "phone edition" devices had a more streamlined, intuitive and friendlier user interface and workflow.

I think the interface works pretty well. I havent tried the GPS Nav yet (not sure how to use it to be honest). I love this phone compared to my Q (which I loved). Are you gonna get the HTC Voque?

DiGiTYZED
07-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I never heard of the HTC Voque.

The interface is okay for it's intended audience which are business users and they are use to MS clunky desktop software. it simply doesn't have a workflow for the non-business and non-tech savy user. but then again it's not intended for these type of folk.

there's gotta be a better shell or UI that runs on top of WM to make it friendlier. something like the equivalent to Mac OS X UI and flow and it's UNIX underpinnings.

shaun0207
07-09-2007, 10:30 PM
I never heard of the HTC Voque.

The interface is okay for it's intended audience which are business users and they are use to MS clunky desktop software. it simply doesn't have a workflow for the non-business and non-tech savy user. but then again it's not intended for these type of folk.

there's gotta be a better shell or UI that runs on top of WM to make it friendlier. something like the equivalent to Mac OS X UI and flow and it's UNIX underpinnings.

The Vogue is the CDMA version of the HTC Touch

The Silverdude
08-07-2007, 05:20 AM
I do have one gripe, though. If I am on the phone and need to look something up on my handheld, I have to interrupt the phone call. Usually I just tell the person I am talking to that I will have to call them back with the information. I guess if I were using my headset, that would not be a problem.

Mark, there's a simple way to continue your conversation while looking up data. I've been doing this on my XDA Trion for a year now: on the phone menu, activate the speakerphone, then go lookup whatever you need. After you've found your data, go back and turn off the speakerphone. I usually let my callers know what I'm doing, although it probably wouldn't matter much because the microphone doesn't migrate too far away from my face when I'm looking up a contact or whatever.