View Full Version : Asus a730w: backup battery not charging

ob1
06-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am desperate. The backup (internal) battery of my Asus a730w does not get charged :cry: and when I change the main battery everything gets erased

I have searched hard for a replacement or solution and could not find any.

Suggestions? Is the backup battery replaceable?

Thanks beforehand,
Mario

Nurhisham Hussein
06-28-2007, 02:10 AM

Welcome to PPCT!

I'm afraid the backup battery is not user replaceable - about the only thing you can do is approach Asus about this. You can have a go at it yourself, but only if you're willing to completely open up your PDA, and that's assuming the battery is not soldered on.

ob1
06-28-2007, 02:17 AM

Welcome to PPCT!

I'm afraid the backup battery is not user replaceable - about the only thing you can do is approach Asus about this. You can have a go at it yourself, but only if you're willing to completely open up your PDA, and that's assuming the battery is not soldered on.

Thanks Nurhisham Hussein,

I expected such a response, because the manual does not include any information on backup battery part number/model, or how to access it. Sadly, there is no Asus representative in Chile, where I live.

I contacted some technical services here, no answers yet except one who said they could not take care of my drama :cry:

I purchased a power adaptor to use in the car, if I am careful not to let the main battery drain completely, and build a bigger capacity battery, maybe I can live with it.

Thanks again!
Mario

Lumberjack
08-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I just fired my A730 up after not using it for a very long time and noticed it's backup batter was not charging either. So I tore it open and pulled it out. It's not soldered in however I don't know how much success I'll find in locating a replacement. I'll more than likely rip the shrink casing off around the battery to get the part number of the battery then reassembling it with new shrink wrap and hope it works ;-). Right now the device is working just fine with out one, and I use it for app testing so it won't leave it's cradle all that much anyway.

If I find anything out I'll let you know. If I actually manage to fix mine I'll be happy to fix yours for the cost of the new battery and shipping (though I can't guarantee anything of course, nor can I be responsible if your device blows up etc..). It's pretty easy to get the case off and get to the battery though a lot of caution must be exersised when pulling the battery off the board since it's double sided taped on.

ob1
08-07-2007, 03:45 AM
I just fired my A730 up after not using it for a very long time and noticed it's backup batter was not charging either. So I tore it open and pulled it out. It's not soldered in however I don't know how much success I'll find in locating a replacement. I'll more than likely rip the shrink casing off around the battery to get the part number of the battery then reassembling it with new shrink wrap and hope it works ;-). Right now the device is working just fine with out one, and I use it for app testing so it won't leave it's cradle all that much anyway.

If I find anything out I'll let you know. If I actually manage to fix mine I'll be happy to fix yours for the cost of the new battery and shipping (though I can't guarantee anything of course, nor can I be responsible if your device blows up etc..). It's pretty easy to get the case off and get to the battery though a lot of caution must be exersised when pulling the battery off the board since it's double sided taped on.

Thanks for the offer, Lumberjack. I appreciate if you can post some pictures of the dismantling/reassembling process. If you send the pics to me, I can upload them to the forum

Best regards,
Mario

sjenkins1129
11-14-2007, 11:40 PM
I too just experienced the same problem. I have not used my PDA in over a year and I just charged it today. The back-up battery appears to be dead and I am getting onscreen messages about it not being charged. Being a former camcorder tech, I figured I was more than capable of successfully disassembling the unit. I found the battery readily accessable once the rear cover was removed but a replacement part is turning into quite another story.

I have ran through the "phone gauntlet" of transfers and other numbers to call to finally get to the PDA support department (866-732-7108). I am working at trying to get them to sell me a replacement part but so far all I can get is "send the unit for service". It was indicated that if after their inspection it was determined to be the battery it would be a $40 charge to replace it. For refernce they quoted $140 if the main board needed replaced. I would have shipping costs to them plus the $40 service fee. I like my PDA but I am having a hard time with $40 for what I feel is a $2 part plus all of the down time and shipping.

Since I indicated that I am a business and a tech, they are "looking into the possibility of selling me a part".

I will let you know the outcome.

Have any of you tried to open the battery pack up and see if it is common button cells inside that might be replacable?

Thanks,
Stephen

sjenkins1129
12-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I struck out with Asus Tech Support and basically the answer was "Puond Sand".

I took the shrink wrap off my backup battery and found the makers info on it. The battery is manufactured by VARTA and the part number stamped on the button cell is V20HR. It is a single NiMH rechargable button cell, so just a watch battery would not suffice.

I found 3 sources for replacement. Mouser Electronics out of Mansfield, TX USA(http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=v20hr) sells the V20HR for $1.34 USD plus Shipping but their cell has no tabs on it to solder the battery leads to. It is very difficult to solder to a button cell without heat damage... Second is Farnell (http://export.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical/Batteries,+Chargers+&+Holders/VARTA/1/V20HR/displayProduct.jsp?sku=3519557&_requestid=204994) out of the UK. The price is £1.57 but they have a £20.00 minimum credit card order plus big shipping to the US. I couldn't believe the my third find, Batteries Plus (5960 Scarborough Blvd., Columbus, OH 43232 USA, 614-577-1998). Their part# is FEDV20HR - 1.2V 22MAH NiMH Button Cell for $3.99 USD and it has solder tabs already on it which makes soldering my leads to it a breeze. I was shocked to find they were less than 5 miles from my office and it was IN STOCK! I got it Friday night, soldered my leads from the original battery onto it this morning. I reassembled my Asus MyPal A716, charged it for an hour and TA DA!!!! My back-up battery now works correctly and no more Nag messages on the screen.

I hope this helps somebody else in their quest ot repair this common problem. In my internet searches, I found many other makers of PPC, especially Dell Axims to have the same issue.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Great detective work, Stephen!