View Full Version : Gutsy Gibbon Goes Mobile and Embedded

Jon Westfall
06-21-2007, 05:33 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/20/ubuntus-gutsy-gibon-features-finalized-coming-to-a-handheld/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/20/...-to-a-handheld/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Those of you disappointed by the "top secret" features of Leopard might want to cast your hopeful, wayward glances in the direction of Ubuntu. Here comes "Gutsy Gibbon," otherwise known as Ubuntu 7.10 whose feature-set now appears finalized with a planned October release just like Apple's big cat. Pumping the 2.6.22 Linux kernel at its core, Gutsy G will be the first Ubuntu release to include new Mobile and Embedded editions "targeted at hand-held devices and other mobile/embedded form factors." It will integrate the Hildon UI components developed by Nokia and already on display in their N800 tablet. In other words, that Sony Ericsson P990i we saw running Ubuntu likely wasn't a hoax after all."</i><br /><br />Ubuntu is, without a doubt, a great geek tool to play with (and actually get work done with). With Gutsy, the next major planned release, supporting hand-held devices (or at least making support easier than it has been), it's tempting to break out older devices and give them a new linux face. Hopefully this will be an option in the near future, thanks to the planned improvements and (I'm sure) ingenious coders that will make it happen. After all, if I can just get my Beryl effects on my Jasjar, I can kick some serious iPhone butt in the graphics department :)

RogueSpear
06-22-2007, 02:57 AM
This would be sweet on my trusty 3975. I really hope it becomes an option.

mscdex
06-23-2007, 05:22 AM
When I first heard about this when they initially hinted at it awhile back, I started wondering just how good compatible it would be in comparison to say, the handhelds.org projects. I imagine they could garner a lot of useful information and such from the hh.org device projects where familiar has been ported to and things. I personally have come to love Ubuntu (well, Xubuntu really) on x86, it's not only easy to use but as the OP said, you can actually get things done with it. It's by far the best distro I've used to date. Here's to hoping Gutsy Gibbon mobile will be just as wonderful to use as its desktop (and laptop!) counterpart! :)

Joelacrane
06-27-2007, 04:16 AM
My brother talked me into trying out Ubuntu a few months ago and it is nothing short of amazing. Ubuntu on a handheld device would be awesome.

I didn't have much luck with Beryl, Compiz is much much more reliable. I also couldn't get multi-monitors going, and I could never figure out how, but beyond that, Ubuntu has worked perfectely for me. When I popped in my very obscure Belkin USB WiFi card (And later my other obscure Belkin PCI WiFi card), it had drivers. Not Windows!