View Full Version : IPaq hx2495 Unique Problem (Locked)

LeahBownstein
06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
I have had my IPaq hx2495 for about a year now and have very important files saved to its memory (not a SD card, the ipaqs memory). I have searched countless hours for an answer to my problem, or even someone with the same or a similar problem to no avail. This post is my last attempt to find a solution before I need to send it somewhere for data recover (seems very expensive). On that note does anyone know a place that can provide data recovery from ipaqs? All the places I found through google were in the UK, seemed odd.

Anyway, on with description of what has happened. I will split this into two sections as I don't know if the first section had anything to do with the problem, but it seems to be part of the chain of events. So if you wanna save some time just skip to part two.

My unit would sometimes run out of batteries to the point where the date & time would be reset. The only time I would be forced to change it to the correct date & time was when I would check my hotmail account through the WiFi (for some reason the pocket pc msn program required this), other than that I didn't use the date & time that much so there was no reason to change it. Anyway, when you correct the date & time you can then login to hotmail. However, the first time you try to do this after correcting the date & time you must go through some software authentication process (just clicking yes a few times and agreeing to terms and conditions I suppose), I think other software that comes on pocket pc's also requires these authentication processes. I don't actually know what the authentication process is about, perhaps someone can shed some light on this as well.

I was completing the authentication process so I could check my hotmail when I got a call and let the ipaq turn off halfway through the process. When I got off the phone and turned my ipaq back on it was locked-up, or at least thats how it appears (Although I'm not sure if that is the correct terminology). Onto section two.

When I turn my IPaq on it goes to the password screen. I can type my password normally and without problem. However, when I try to press "ok" at the top right hand corner of the screen nothing happens. In fact, NOTHING on the entire upper toolbar (you know, the bar that has the start menu, time, sound level, WiFi icon) works. I know it is only that bar because I have tested touching the stylus in very close proximities to the white background of the enter password screen but still technically touching the toolbar with nothing happening and then BAM, as soon as I hit the white background below the toolbar it selects all of whatever is written in "enter password" field.

Its letting me write my password but not press the "ok" button. Heres probably the most important part in all of this.

IMPORTANT: You know how it says "Password" on the left hand side of the toolbar when you are at the password screen. Well now the "pas" and half of the other s are covered by a padlock icon (its a locked gold padlock over a royal blue background). I have never seen this icon before.

When I talked to hp they said they have never heard of this problem before. It doesn't make sense to me that there would be some padlock icon which is the exact same height as the toolbar, and it just so happens that everything on that toolbar is "locked" so to speak, without there being some sort of solution. I also cant get any of the files through active sync, it seems to just continuously try to connect.

Perhaps someone can shed some light on my available options here.

Thanks guys,

-Leah

Sven Johannsen
06-17-2007, 08:57 PM
My first question would be, can you sync the device? At one time at least, if you had a password set, you could have that saved on the partner machine, and you could at least get to your data. Don't recall if you had to enter the password on the PPC or PC if you tried to sync a protected machine and hadn't cached the password.