View Full Version : Consumers Warm To The Touch Screen Phone?

Paul Martin
06-17-2007, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.canalys.com/pr/2007/r2007061.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.canalys.com/pr/2007/r2007061.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Execution challenges aside, the Canalys survey reveals a high degree of acceptance among mobile phone users to the idea of using touch screen models. When asked about their personal phone preferences, 23% of respondents said that having a touch screen interface would be good if it meant they got a large display, but without increasing the overall size of the phone. A further 10% were prepared to make a trade-off by ending up with a larger phone in return for a large touch screen or a good keyboard. Only 28% said categorically that they just wanted a traditional numeric keypad while another 24% said that having a small phone was the priority regardless of input method used."</i><br /><br />This survey released by Canalys suggests that European adult mobile phone users may be receptive to a well-done touch screen interface that made sense. Though there's not a lot of new analysis here, the report does quantify potential user's likelihood of using a touch screen phone. On interesting quote is from Canalys senior analyst Pete Cunningham. <i>“But if the interface gets in the way people will soon lose interest or choose other platforms to satisfy their needs. More than half of those we surveyed said they disliked having to learn where all the features were when they got a new phone.”</i> While many of us are tech enthusiasts and enjoy the challenge of learning something new, we all probably have co-workers who just want it to "work". Something that just "works" will be something that sells. Are you interested in a touch screen interface in a phone-only device?

virain
06-17-2007, 02:33 AM
I believe it's not long before we will look at all the buttons and keyboards as relics. Technology moves towards touch screen solutions very fast. First long long ago, there was Palm, then Windows CE come, followed by TabletPC. Now IPhone interface, and by the end of the year we will have a chance to enjoy "Surface" ( see here: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/) by Microsoft. I find it to be very cool, even if it requires 30 inch screen for now, but I believe it will be "downsized" to your PocketPC size pretty soon.

JesterMania
06-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Well, I agree that touch-based solutions are the future and looking at Microsoft Surface is quite amazing in itself. But for me, personally, having a keyboard to enter data quickly is still a must. Touch screens are good for manipulating data but when it comes to data entry, I don't really fancy tapping on a screen or handwriting at all.

dommasters
06-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Okay I'm a Luddite but I think iPhone-esque devices will be a niche only. For mass market I see devices such as the wonderful HTC S710 as the future. Sure, the iPhone has wow factor and it seems like everyone wants one. But let's wait for the dust to settle. When everyone does have one and the newness wears off, we may find that it's not what we really want afterall.

rhelwig
06-17-2007, 03:53 PM
I still think you should be able to choose your screen, just like you can (theoretically) choose your keyboard.

Imagine a bluetooth (or whatever) screen, a bluetooth keyboard, a bluetooth earpiece/mike. A small embedded screen usable for making calls, so you don't need to bring along your bigger screen and keyboard.

The phone is just an interface to the network. Think of it as a mobile NIC. Heck, you could probably embed all the phone functionality in a belt. Now let your imagination run wild.

aNiMeMaN14
06-17-2007, 07:07 PM
No thanks, give me my hard keys + touch screen any day.

yslee
06-18-2007, 01:42 AM
Touch screen-only devices are the suxx0r. I have nothing but contempt for them. Slow and unwieldly, and this is coming from somone who could type on Graffiti, then Character Recogniser at 30 WPM.

Eriq Cook
06-18-2007, 02:49 AM
Gotta have the hardware buttons + touchscreen + voice recognition. It's kinda frustrating dialing a phone # without looking where my fingers are on the screen. If we could see a device similar to the the Helios Ocean (with slide out QWERTY keyboard and secondary slideout number pad) running Windows Mobile + VoiceCommand I'd be in heaven.

That's actually the iPhone's biggest flaw IMO--lack of voice recognition. If you're going to have a touch-screen only device, you should at least be able to speak basic commands to it.

baralong
06-18-2007, 03:38 AM
The main problem with touchscreens is the lack of tactile feedback.

With a touch screen, I've never found handwriting recognition to be good enough, either on the recognition part or on the editing existing text part. Also having to give up screen real estate for the onscreen keyboard is a pain.

I've noticed that I was increasingly using my k-jam one handed, making all calls from voice command and sliding out my keyboard for data input.

Based on this I'm switching to the Dopod C730 Cavalier, losing the touch screen and trying a Smart Phone for a while. Also losing quite a bit of bulk in my pocket.

WorksForTurkeys
06-19-2007, 01:18 AM
multi-surface touchscreens (which is how I interpreted the poll) on PDAs is one step closer to the goal of the perfect machine with no moving parts at all. I'll always move towards that platonic ideal.

Jonathan1
06-19-2007, 02:35 AM
there are a few stipulations for me to get a touch screen.

1- the thing needs to be somewhat smudge resistant. It doesn't need to be proof but I don't want the thing to look like crap after 5 minutes of use.

2- The thing needs to be rugged. I highly doubt the iPhone could stand my day to day riggers.

3- The thing needs to support 3rd party software.

4- The thing MUST have at minimum 4 hours of talk time.

5- DEAL BREAKER: They must work on T-Mobile's network....None of this Crapular stuff.

6-BONUS: It also supports a stylus.

Jonathan1
06-19-2007, 02:37 AM
I believe it's not long before we will look at all the buttons and keyboards as relics. Technology moves towards touch screen solutions very fast. First long long ago, there was Palm, then Windows CE come, followed by TabletPC. Now IPhone interface, and by the end of the year we will have a chance to enjoy "Surface" ( see here: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/) by Microsoft. I find it to be very cool, even if it requires 30 inch screen for now, but I believe it will be "downsized" to your PocketPC size pretty soon.

Not until the touch typist dies off. And the jury is still out on if the touch screen is faster then a keyboard.