View Full Version : What Is Your Primary Input Method On Your Pocket PC

Ed Hansberry
06-14-2007, 08:00 PM
What is your primary method for entering data, such as typing emails, entering appointments, etc. on your Pocket PC device?

Rod3
06-14-2007, 08:06 PM
I use the on screen keyboard, but used to only use Block Recognizer. I came from a Palm so long ago, and graffiti was easy. But I found that I was boogering up the screen (don't like the idea of screen savers; who are you saving it for? :roll: ), so switched. My screens stay unscathed, and I've gotten pretty fast with input.

paschott
06-14-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm definitely faster with FITALY than the slide-out keyboard, though that's my next input method of choice, especially for e-mail replies most of the time. However for note-taking and general use, I find it easier to tap through FITALY than to try to balance holding a a stylus for that need to tap against just typing text. If I could manipulate everything through the keyboard, that might change, but until then I will probably stick with FITALY unless doing something that is purely text-input.

-Pete

virain
06-14-2007, 08:21 PM
It all depends on a size of a text. If I need to enter email address or a password, on screen qwerty keyboard is the method of choice. But if I have to write an email, text message, or word document, of course, I would use transcriber. It is faster than typing, and easier than typing.

kinged
06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I am surprised by the response so far.

Being a long time pocketpc user, I always thought a big advantage of pocketpc over palm was that you can use regular handwriting instead of learning graffiti. I always used the letter recognizer since the beginning.

burtcom
06-14-2007, 08:36 PM
The on-screen keyboard, though my device has a slide-out.

The slide-out is great for long text entry, but to be honest I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would.

adamz
06-14-2007, 09:44 PM
I love FITALY. I used to use a combination of FITALY and Calligrapher, but Calligrapher got too bloated. I usually prefer the smaller/lighter devices which do not have a keyboard so that's a compromise I make for the annoyance of pulling out a stylus. I can still type faster on FITALY than with the slide-out keyboard or Treo thumboard anyway.

Now, for one-handed typing on the HTC Touch, I've installed the T9 PhonePad... it's perfect for the Touch! Beautiful.

I'm surprised so many people use the on-screen Qwerty keyboard. That must be the most annoying input method available. Great survey!

buzzard
06-14-2007, 09:47 PM
I use the onboard QWERTY keyboard but I also use Pocket Controller and if the program has a PC version, I use that as well. All of them make their way to the PPC. :)

Jason Lee
06-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I used the letter recognizer since the Win CE 2.11 days. I think it was called Character recognizer then. Worked a little different but basically the same thing.

When i got my hp2215 i really started using the clip on thumb board a lot. It was very nice and fairly small.

Oddly enough, as time has passed i have started using the on screen qwerty for short things. I can type a lot faster on it than with letter recognizer.

For most things I use the slice out keyboard though. Much faster for me.

ctmagnus
06-14-2007, 10:10 PM
I prefer Fitaly, but I was having issues with it loading on the Treo 750 so I use the hardware keyboard on it mostly now. I still use Fitaly on the JAMin, though, for the rare time that I enter something on it.

SHC
06-14-2007, 10:22 PM
WordLogic. I never see it mentioned anywhere on polls or reviews but I like it. It's the first programme on my device.

jmjstandin
06-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Hm. I'm surprised there aren't more people like me using Block Recognizer. It's pretty fast once you've practised a little, especially in combination with word completion. You do need to use a screen protector to avoid wear on the input area.

What is the T9 Phonepad though ?

spoirier
06-14-2007, 10:53 PM
I prefer TenGO, http://www.tengo.net/.

JamesS
06-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Great topic.

I've tried them all: fitaly, tengo, transcriber, calligrapher, block recogniser, letter recogniser... and I keep coming back to the QWERTY on-screen keyboard. It's the fastest and most reliable way I've found of entering data.

Still not happy with it though. My current device doesn't have a keyboard. I'm planning to move to the kaiser and its slide out keyboard as soon as it's available. As someone who enters a lot of text, I'm hoping it will make things a lot easier.

Jeff Kirvin
06-14-2007, 11:05 PM

The slide-out is great for long text entry, but to be honest I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would.
Ditto. I use the slide out keyboard on my Apache for anything more than a few words, but more often than not I use the on screen QWERTY since I'm just entering login info and whatnot or creating a new appointment or task.

Tye
06-14-2007, 11:42 PM

Agreed. On my PPC6700, the screen is so small that almost no method other than the built in keyboard is usable.

When I had my hx4700, I was a huge fan of Calligrapher (for short "snippets") and SPB Fullscreen Keyboard (for long passages). I have said it so many times I probably sound whiney, but I wish, wish, wish someone would come out with a 4" screen PDA phone without a physical keyboard.

Zagleft1
06-15-2007, 01:16 AM
I prefer TenGO, http://www.tengo.net/.

I'm with spoirier. I've grown to like Tengo since for much of your typing you can be "imprecise" in hitting the keys (vs the qwerty board). I've got a Treo wx but I've never been able to warm up to the built-in keyboard. It seems like I've always got a stylus in my hand and trying to use the thumbboard while holding that is clumsy for me.

mauibob
06-15-2007, 01:57 AM
FITALY seems best. I used Block Recognizer a lot, went to FITALY, then thought a Bluetooth keyboard would be cool. I hardly ever use the Bluetooth keyboard unless I'm traveling and have to write a long email. Just something else to lug around so I don't. Took a little getting used to FITALY but I am quite comfortable with it now.

Mark Kenepp
06-15-2007, 02:08 AM
There seems to be a number of us who have a device with a slide out keyboard but mostly use some SIP or another, I am one of those.

I, like others, started with a Palm and therefore I am used to Grafitti but when I switched to a Psion Series 5, keyboard was the only way to go (though I did have Allegro which I seldom used).

My Ericsson r380 (and later my SE p800) used handwriting recognition similar to Allegro, so I got quite used to it.

Letter recognizer is, AFAIK, identical to the r380 and p800 character recognition so...

Anyway, to make the poll fair, I think Ed needs to tell us what color his shirt is.

Gerard
06-15-2007, 02:52 AM
I use a rubber USB keyboard, because it's cheap (got 2 for $12 each, Canadian), dust proof (I make a lot of ebony, spruce, and maple dust for a living), and I can roll one up for taking with me when I go out. Great for typing wherever I go.

But for standing up, quick notes, anything away from the desk or a smooth, sit-down place to type, I use the stylus with Letter Recogniizr. As anyone who knows me from the old days can attest, back in my first year with PPCs I'd typically enter over 2000 words a day this way in forums alone, never mind all the other writing I did. Character Recognizer as it was called then worked just beautifully. Unfortunately I prefer to use true VGA resolution these days, and the input panel is rather too tiny for such great accuracy and speed. Bit of a pain actually. I wish Microsoft or someone else would come up with a way to inflate it back to the old size. Resco does this perfectly with Keyboard Pro, but I just can't tap-type, it makes me crazy.

aNiMeMaN14
06-15-2007, 03:35 AM
I really can't believe I'm going to be the first one to HANDS DOWN give it up for the slide-out keyboard. I'm on the Cingular 8125, and I'll slide it out, whether it's for a few words, or a full blown SMS.

I talk on AIM quite a bit on my phone, and there's no other way to go than a nice, physical keyboard. I used to use the Spb Full Screen Keyboard back on my i-mate Jam, and I don't think I can ever go back to a PDA without a built in keyboard again.

I also can't imagine how many of you use on-screen keyboards to navigate the web. With the heavy use of symbols and letters used when typing in addresses, I just don't think I don't have the patience. Then again, the only time I ever us my stylus is when a certain game requires it. Guess you can say I'm a bit new school. 0X

baardoa
06-15-2007, 09:12 AM
I have the T-Mobile Vario II, and I have recently discovered the Resco Keyboard. That is perfect when changing between several languages (Scandinavian, German and English). I also use the slideout keyboard, but I find it most awkward sometimes.

martin_ayton
06-15-2007, 09:25 AM
For short inputs, I use FITALY where I can. However, my Vario II seems to have issues with driver / service memory, despite my installing most things to the storage card, and it's a bit of a lottery whether FITALY will be available. I will revert to the on-screen keyboard if not. I have removed all the other on-screen input methods - I was just too slow with them. I use the slide out keyboard for longer inputs. Since getting the Vario II with the slide-out, I have never used my ThinkOutside BT keyboard, which I used to use a lot on my Xda2s

TOCA
06-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Since english is not my main language, and mainly writing in one, that needs special letters, I'm unable to use any of the build in handwriting options, also most slideout, and foldable keyboards, are out of the question.

So I use Fullscreen keyboard from Spb, with danish skinn, for longer texts, and the standard onscreen (lokal version), for short messages/notes.

When I want to make it fancy, I use Dasher textentry
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

Yata
06-15-2007, 11:34 AM
No matter what Apple says, you still can't beat a proper QWERTY keyboard. I do a lot of texting and a real keyboard makes all the difference.

abf
06-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Letter recogniser does for short things, I find.

For docs, meeting notes etc, bluetooth keyboard instead of laptop - means I don't feel like I'm hiding behind a lever-arch folder.

adamz
06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
What is the T9 Phonepad though ?

The T9 PhonePad SIP came with the original HTC Magician (http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=541) as well as a few other HTC devices a while back. They've since stopped including it, and I wish they'd bring it back (http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=news&id=4252) especially for the HTC Touch. It's just like a numeric keypad with T9; big buttons, three letters on each number, predictive text. It's great for one-handed text entry if you know how to use T9.

http://www.pocketnow.com/html/cache/http___www.pocketnow.com_html_portal_reviews_0000000541_review_imateJ37.jpg

isajoo
06-15-2007, 07:37 PM

psyjohn
06-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Ever since discovering Ed's homepage (which initially led me to this forum) :wink: I've been using FITALY. It was a bit awkward at first, but before my trial period was up I was faster than I'd ever been with QWERTY or Letter Recognizer. FITALY has made it possible for me to take quick observational notes in the classrooms I visit, which can then be copied and pasted into larger documents when I'm back in the office. I used to carry post-its and small pads of paper along with my PPC all the time, but now I'm nearly paperless in my regular workday.
:D :D :D

wmm
06-15-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm really disappointed that after this many replies no one has mentioned Speedscript (www.speedscript.biz). I've been using it for nearly a year now after having tried many of the other options mentioned. I find it easier and faster than Fitaly, which was my previous favorite. I have a device with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard (a Cingular 8525), but after testing I find that I'm faster and more accurate (and more comfortable entering large amounts of text) with Speedscript. You do need a screen protector because of all the sliding, but I think it's worth it.

I'd prefer a bluetooth full-size keyboard, of course, but if I can't have that (which I often can't -- places with no table/desk space to put it, on airplanes with their radio restrictions, etc.), I'll go for Speedscript every time.

polstein
06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Even though I have an i730 w/a slide out keyboard, I also tend to use the standard keyboard.

I own Fitaly also, but never quite took the time to learn it.

I'm waiting for this one:

http://www.shapewriter.com

Used to be the IBM Shark keyboard, now renamed. I don't know if it will be the solution I want, but I've been waiting to try it for years now.

Sniff
06-15-2007, 10:31 PM
I voted for "Other Method," but it's basically a on-screen qwerty keyboard. It's the "Easy Keyboard" that came with newer Eten devices. Nice big buttons so that I can actually thumb type. I'm almost stylus free with the way my Eten M600 is setup.

IpaqMan2
06-16-2007, 12:48 AM
In regards to the topic being asked in the Poll, I guess a better question that should of been asked is which method do we prefer to use? Since not all current owners of a PDA may not have the method of input they'd want to use but are stuck using whatever their PDA has.

The poll is actually funny. I recall some years ago when I was slightly more active in my posts in the PDA community being the extreme minority in wanting PDAs with some sort of built in Keyboard. Just makes sense, since I actually used my PDA as a tool, not a toy as might be the case with many other PDA/smartphone owners and having literally everyone in the forum ridicule my views - even here at this website - or so I recall. Now, it seems the poll shows that my original views of years pasts are actually right on, though I suspect it's not so much because the mass people who are using their PDAs/smartphones are using them any less of a toy, but have now embraced the fad of internet surfing, texting, and emailing while mobile, on their PDA which actually gives them some purpose to use their device - something which Research in Motion figured out ages ago with their devices.

I have been using some sort of keyboard for all my PDAs since the iPaq 3635. I recently reverted back from a Treo 700wx to an older device, the iPaq hx4700 and am not using any keyboard whatsoever, (even though I have a stowaway bluetooth one). And I must admit, it's been very refreshing to whip out my stylus and start writing notes with letter recognizer. Heck even the using WM200SE has been refreshing. Kinda like going back to the reliable and simple feel of Windows 2000 after using too much Vista.

Cirrob
06-16-2007, 05:43 AM
Maybe it wasnt so much your views that caused the Ridicule but the tone in which you posted them. You have a very "I'm better than you " aura about the way you express your views. Id be surprised if this was the first time it was pointed out too.

In regards to the topic being asked in the Poll, I guess a better question that should of been asked is which method do we prefer to use? Since not all current owners of a PDA may not have the method of input they'd want to use but are stuck using whatever their PDA has.

The poll is actually funny. I recall some years ago when I was slightly more active in my posts in the PDA community being the extreme minority in wanting PDAs with some sort of built in Keyboard. Just makes sense, since I actually used my PDA as a tool, not a toy as might be the case with many other PDA/smartphone owners and having literally everyone in the forum ridicule my views - even here at this website - or so I recall. Now, it seems the poll shows that my original views of years pasts are actually right on, though I suspect it's not so much because the mass people who are using their PDAs/smartphones are using them any less of a toy, but have now embraced the fad of internet surfing, texting, and emailing while mobile, on their PDA which actually gives them some purpose to use their device - something which Research in Motion figured out ages ago with their devices.

I have been using some sort of keyboard for all my PDAs since the iPaq 3635. I recently reverted back from a Treo 700wx to an older device, the iPaq hx4700 and am not using any keyboard whatsoever, (even though I have a stowaway bluetooth one). And I must admit, it's been very refreshing to whip out my stylus and start writing notes with letter recognizer. Heck even the using WM200SE has been refreshing. Kinda like going back to the reliable and simple feel of Windows 2000 after using too much Vista.

k1darkknight
06-16-2007, 11:26 AM
well, I could've guessed some of the results of this poll pretty easily, while other results REALLY surprised me. The fact that either type of hardware-based keyboard are most popular, I would've expected, as those methods have a much shorter learning curve than any stylus / touchscreen input method.
However, I was shocked that FITALY is being outpaced by even the standard onscreen QWERTY keyboard by roughly 5 to 1! I could see it being outpaced by a combination of other methods by that much, but FITALY is a much more efficient method of text input than anything other than a physical keyboard. Some may say that they've never taken the time to "learn" it, but the easiest way to learn to use FITALY's basic functionality (i.e. not considering features like directional gestures, customizable slide-based shortcuts, etc.), is simply to just start using it!
The layout of FITALY (for those not familiar with it) is such that the more commonly used a letter is, the closer to the center it is placed. Additionally, letters less commonly used are grouped, more or less, by how often they are used together. For example, T, C, and W are all placed adjacent to H (for th, ch, and wh). Likewise, Q is place near (though curiously, not adjacent to) U (qu), and L is next to Y (for any words that end in -ly).
FITALY is practically all I use, and when I upgraded from an old iPAQ to my current Axim X50v, and gave the HP to my mother, I actually convinced HER to buy a copy herself, just by leaving the trial version on it. Now granted, if I had a hardware keyboard, I'd probably use it most of the time, but more than likely, I'd still use FITALY any time I already had the stylus out, and just needed to type a few words, or a sentence or two.
Before anyone asks, NO, I don't work for them, but I would really recommend that anyone who doesn't use a hardware keyboard to at least try out FITALY for a few days. Heck, even if you DO use a hardware keyboard, check it out anyway! Wouldn't use a new PPC for more than a couple days without it!

Ed Hansberry
06-16-2007, 12:29 PM
In regards to the topic being asked in the Poll, I guess a better question that should of been asked is which method do we prefer to use?
That would be a different question, but why would it be better? I didn't think it would be as useful for my purpose to pose such a question that a possible answer is "Brainwave input method - it just reads my thoughts and inputs data."

Reid Kistler
06-16-2007, 06:18 PM
What is your primary method for entering data, such as typing emails, entering appointments, etc. on your Pocket PC device?

Fitaly. Learned on Handspring, carried it over to Axim, and have yet to find any better input method - short of a Full Sized External Keyboard(!)

Have tried 2 of Cingular's PDA/Phones - 8525 & 8515(?) - and did not care for "Package" as much as separate phone / pda (although can understand appeal) and tiny keyboard proved tiring for extended text entry.
I regularly use Axim/Fitaly combo to take "live notes" during seminars (All Day!) & speeches, and can do so better than trying to take notes 'by hand' (pen-and-paper) - and the Output (usually into PhatNotes Pro) is MUCH more useful than scribbled paper notes.

FWIW: Last time checked, a Trial Version of Fitaly was available, as well as their Learning Game/Tutorial (Fitaly Lexis?), which is an excellent way to shorten the learning curve.

RK/ SE MI

Cybrid
06-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Fitaly.I do own a copy (won it here in a contest) but realized that it would require me to learn how to use it. Found I couldn't be bothered.
I even own 5 full size keyboards. I still can't type. Believe me in this case I have tried... sporadically....but I haven't the time to make a seriously dedicated effort to learn...Know any learn to type in just three minutes a day CDs?
letter recognizer on the other hand has a low learning curve. It does need a steady, blocked script rather than cursive but I have found that I can write faster than most typists other than pro's like assistants and secretaries. On a decent sized PDA screen, the easiest and most reliable for me...letter recognizer.
Brainwave input methodPredictive brainwave input method with heuristic grammar correction and eruditic word substitution.
juss cause I thunked it kin I patent it now? I'll wait till some guy gone dun it and den kachhhiinnng! muh lawyer and I will be able to even import roadkill fer the dinner table.

haesslich
06-16-2007, 09:07 PM
I've used Fitaly, Calligrapher, Tengo, the Block Recognzer, onscreen keyboard, and even external keyboards. None of them are perfect; I'm most comfortable with a real keyboard, and type very quickly with one, but that requires space to set up, a stable surface to type on, and batteries to power the keyboard with if it's wireless. Calligrapher's very natural, but a horrible way to input more than short notes, due to the lack of space on a screen for longer sentences, and because it seems to run out of driver memory often, which means you have to soft-reset to reenable it. Fitaly's fast and efficient, but after about a month I gave up on it; yes, it's fast, but typing non-English characters is NOT, and entering non-letter characters was a PITA. I'm currently using Tengo, because it has T9-style entry; you don't have to hit 'J' to start the word 'just', and it's pretty easy to jab imprecisely in the general direction of the word, so long as you've got it in the dictionary.

Reid Kistler
06-17-2007, 03:42 AM
I do own a copy ....but I haven't the time to make a seriously dedicated effort to learn...Know any learn to type in just three minutes a day CDs?

Play with "FitalyLetris" - Correct name for Fitaly's learning program (my memory was poor earlier...).

Found it "awkward" at first - many years on QWERTY keyboards! - but simply "playing around" with Letris during otherwise-dead-time soon yielded Fitaly input that was faster / more accurate than Graffiti or on-screen Qwerty on Handspring. "3-Minutes / day" might do it...

Picked up other "gesture" input options with Axim - including CalliGrapher - but Fitaly remains on top for serious input. (CalcNote - or PhatPad - work OK for Short & Quick notes.)

Reid / SE MI

Reid Kistler
06-17-2007, 04:07 AM
I've used Fitaly, Calligrapher, Tengo... Fitaly's fast and efficient, but ... typing non-English characters is NOT, and entering non-letter characters was a PITA. I'm currently using Tengo,....

In the end, this comes down to Personal Preference - and being / becoming Comfortable with a certain method of input.

But if you ever grow tired of Tengo - or simply want to try an alternative - take a look at Fitaly v4: it offers a LOT of customization options, with 5 different main keyboard sets only 2 "clicks" away + optional (Directional) Sliding on EACH character key.
MEMORIZATION could be a problem, but if you use certain characters / phrases often they will "spring to mind" in use.

Also use the built-in "word completion" feature + PhatNotes' Spell checker to aid input & "pretty up" the final document....

OF COURSE you can probably make a similar offer in return: If [I] ever tire of Fitaly, try Tengo, along with [your favorite document / note app].....

Have a great day -

Reid / SE MI

bnycastro
06-18-2007, 12:42 PM
I have a Treo 750v ATM and use the fixed QWERTY for most text entry. Before that I used the slide out QWERTY of my dopod 838 and HTC TyTN but before that I used an add-on QWERTY keyboard for my hp iPAQ h2210. When I don't use / didn't have QWERTY [Compaq iPAQ h3870, imate JAM, hp iPAQ rw6828] though I use Letter Recognizer. I can write pretty fast and accurate with it as well. I used T9 on my Smartphones [mPX 220 and HTC S310] when I owned them. I also use T9 on my 2ndary mobile a Nokia 3120.

Ommadawn
06-19-2007, 02:09 AM
I use Fitaly for all day-to-day data entry, but have the Dell badged bluetooth keyboard for larger jobs. Both are excellent for the appropriate task. I don't think I could ever go back to tapping about on an on-screen qwerty keyboard, and get enough scratches now without constant writing (even on the screen cover I use).

Sheena
06-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Has anyone mentioned Pocket Controller? It's my main input "method" (over 90%). I bought an add-on keyboard for my iPaq, but quickly abandoned it (annoying, slow, sticky). As long as I have a desktop or laptop handy, PC & the regular keyboard takes care of it all, otherwise the screen keyboard is fine for a little typing here & there, no learning curve, not extra $, no compatibility issues, the standard word suggestion is good enough for shortcuts (I keep looking for that on my laptop!).

Rosie