View Full Version : why would you buy software from commercial portal, instead of buying direct?

salem
06-05-2007, 07:47 PM
I've heard that some big software portal sites has removed all freeware because of worrying they will hurt the sales. Some big sites also removed the software from a particular programmer because of "mystique reasons".

So I'm wondering why people would like to buy software from these portal? Why don't you buy directly from the programmer?

Jon Westfall
06-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Well, I normally buy directly from the programmer - however not all programmers sell directly. Not all have got the time or money to setup a shopping cart system, and not all can use Paypal (Or find PayPal economical). Also, the portal sites normally keep a history of my transactions, which can be helpful.

Catman51
06-06-2007, 06:05 PM
When I can, I definitely do buy direct. Would rather do that than deal with the 3rd Party resellers anytime.

Don Tolson
06-06-2007, 07:22 PM
I agree with Jon and Catman... buy from the programmer when that option is available. However, sometimes the programmer's website 'buy' link takes you directly to Handango or MobilePlanet or MobiHand.