View Full Version : Compact Flash...

Mountain343
05-31-2007, 06:55 PM
I've been looking at upgrading to a "convergence" device that has 3G broadband and WM. The one thing I've noticed is that none of the ones i've looked at has a CF slot. Even the phone finder at another website lists a ton of card types but omits CF.

Is there one out there that has it and I've just overlooked it by accident? I'd hate to have to carry two PDA's with me.

Mike

Cybrid
06-01-2007, 06:05 AM
I've been looking at upgrading to a "convergence" device that has 3G broadband and WM. The one thing I've noticed is that none of the ones i've looked at has a CF slot. Even the phone finder at another website lists a ton of card types but omits CF.

Is there one out there that has it and I've just overlooked it by accident? I'd hate to have to carry two PDA's with me.

MikeN ope. CF is a lost format it seems. It seems that in order to make you part with more money they've evolved to SD then mini sd and now micro sd...soon pico sd? You'll need to shop for new cards...

ADBrown
06-01-2007, 06:30 AM
You'll need to shop for new cards...

Which is, I suspect, rather the point. Which is one of many reasons I stick with my Axim alongside my Qtek 8500.

burtcom
06-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Fortunately, the cards are pretty cheap. I remember getting a 128MB CF card way back when that set me back $300!

My 2GB MicroSD for my new phone was only $60.

I certainly hope they don't get any smaller -- One of these days one of the kids will grab my phone and pop out the MicroSD, and I'll never find the damn thing.

Mountain343
06-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately as long as professional DSLR's still use CF cards, I'm pretty dependent on them. One of the great things about my old ipaq is that I could use the SD card to store programs on, while swapping in and out the CF card to ftp photos, check exposure and focus, and a multitude of other things. It's one of my primary uses for the PDA.

I guess for now my best bet is to just find a small phone with 3G to use as a modem and stick with two devices.

Thank you for the replies!

Cybrid
06-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately as long as professional DSLR's still use CF cards, I'm pretty dependent on them. One of the great things about my old ipaq is that I could use the SD card to store programs on, while swapping in and out the CF card to ftp photos, check exposure and focus, and a multitude of other things. It's one of my primary uses for the PDA.

I guess for now my best bet is to just find a small phone with 3G to use as a modem and stick with two devices.

Thank you for the replies!You could get a USB OTG transfer kit :? Not really a great solution, as it's still two devices. You may find though PDA phone screens suck due to tiny size.

Mark Kenepp
06-01-2007, 10:38 PM

A SD to CF adapter could work. Just put the SD card into the adapter and put it all into the camera.

Here (http://shop.brando.com.hk/panasonicsdcfadapter.php) is the one that I have. I have used it sucessfully in my old Canon Powershot s50 as well as in my Ericsson MC218.

Cybrid
06-02-2007, 08:57 AM
A SD to CF adapter could work. Just put the SD card into the adapter and put it all into the camera.

Here (http://shop.brando.com.hk/panasonicsdcfadapter.php) is the one that I have. I have used it sucessfully in my old Canon Powershot s50 as well as in my Ericsson MC218. Unfortunately he's looking for a phone device which rarely have SD as well. I haven't seen and CF to micro SD or CF to mini SD adapters. I could however be wrong on that.

Mark Kenepp
06-03-2007, 05:50 AM
Unfortunately he's looking for a phone device which rarely have SD as well. I haven't seen and CF to micro SD or CF to mini SD adapters. I could however be wrong on that.

Most micro SD cards come with SD adapters.

One could even get the micro to mini to SD adapter, put it into a CF to SD adapter and be totally adapted :D

I'd be curious if there was a read/write performance hit when using these adapters.

Cybrid
06-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Most micro SD cards come with SD adapters.

One could even get the micro to mini to SD adapter, put it into a CF to SD adapter and be totally adapted :D

I'd be curious if there was a read/write performance hit when using these adapters.I think you're misunderstanding....
While you can put a micro into mini into SD into CF, you'd be limited to a measly 2-4GB or whatever they top out at.
He is using a professional SLR camera with CF. 4-8Gb cards are available and quite reasonably priced. He might also require such cards by the nature of the work. High Res, Large File size, rapid succession shots add up quickly.
He'd need a CF into mini or Micro.

ADBrown
06-04-2007, 10:36 PM
He is using a professional SLR camera with CF. 4-8Gb cards are available and quite reasonably priced. He might also require such cards by the nature of the work. High Res, Large File size, rapid succession shots add up quickly.

Not to mention, CF cards are usually rated for speed, whereas Mini rarely are and Micro never, to my knowledge.

Mountain343
06-07-2007, 11:50 PM
You guys hit the nail on the head. While adapter upon adapter upon adapter would conceivably work, it really isn't a solution due to speed and size. I think the biggest Micro and Mini SD card i've seen have been 2gigs and the speeds have been snails pace compared to the 133x CF cards I use.

So for now I'm just going to wait and watch and start looking for a 3g phone to tether to my trusty hp2215.

Thanks for all the help though!