View Full Version : Ever Get "Dumb-Phone" Envy?

Jon Westfall
05-30-2007, 07:37 PM
With the ever increasing presence of Windows Mobile Phone Editions (i.e. when was the last time you heard of a new device that didn't include a phone?), most of us are making our way from the unconverged world to the glory that is a PDA and phone married. However, this also means we're giving up traditional cell phones that most of our friends still use. With technology getting better and smaller, some of these "dumb-phones" are starting to look rather attractive. They're small, they have keyboards or MP3 players built in, and a plethora of accessories can be found for them at most electronics retailers. By comparison, our phones can look fairly plain, despite their advanced abilities.<br /><br />Have you ever thought "Gee, I wish that phone was a windows mobile" or "Hmm, that phone doesn't look too bad" when gazing about the latest offerings of "dumb-phones"? If so, which ones caught your eye? Who knows, maybe some of the features we envy in those devices will one day be integrated into ours :)

Menneisyys
05-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Up until yesterday, I would have seriously considereed buying a serious, preferably A2DP-enabled "dumb" phone with call recording capabilities (incl. several models of Nokia / Sony-Ericsson).

Yesterday, I've purchased a HTC S310 (Oxygen). It's TINY and still does a LOT. For example, call recording and, with Opera Mobile, SERIOUS Web browsing. Granted, its A2DP is still incompatible with most stereo headphones out there but in all the other respects, it really rocks. I wouldn't have thought an MS Smartphone would appeal to me back in the times of the mx200. Fortunately, times HAVE changed.

I'll purchase a HTC Vox tomorrow or the day after (depending on when I get my salary); I'll also report on it. I don't think I will be dissatisfied with it.

Small Town Man
05-30-2007, 09:00 PM
MotoFone F3, I love it

http://www.motorola.com/consumer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=1889ba753ca90110VgnVCM1000008206b00aRCRD&amp;show=productHome

Sorry, couldn't find english information ...

JesterMania
05-31-2007, 01:53 AM
Actually I currently have a "dumb" phone and am looking to buy a PPC Phone Edition soon. However, I do sometimes look at the newer models and wish they were WM-based - for example the new LG Shine.

Nurhisham Hussein
05-31-2007, 04:36 AM
I'm still firmly in the two device camp, though some of the newer devices are beginning to tempt me over to the converged camp. Problem is, there aren't too many devices that would give me the same capabilities and flexibility that a two device approach gives me.

Eitel
05-31-2007, 05:37 AM
I have a Moto V3xx right now, but I just bought a HTC Hermes (Cingular 8500). I know that the HTC is going to be my phone of choice, but I will still use my V3xx for when I need to go to places where the HTC will be to big of a device to carry (pool, beach, hiking, etc.)

Cybrid
05-31-2007, 06:58 AM
Only once but just recently....I got my son a Samsung A720 phone. A mostly unremarkable media playing phone...came with a Plantronics 590.
Doesn't work on my PPC's :(
As Menniesyys noted....Flippin' MS stack.

Menneisyys
05-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Only once but just recently....I got my son a Samsung A720 phone. A mostly unremarkable media playing phone...came with a Plantronics 590.
Doesn't work on my PPC's :(
As Menniesyys noted....Flippin' MS stack.

Yeah, MS should fix the A2DP compatibility problems (currently, only a handful of A2DP headphones like those of Nokia is able to work with the MS A2DP implementation flawlessly) ASAP. It's VERY annoying "noname" players like Widcomm / Broadcom, Samsung and Nokia were able to produce an A2DP implementation VASTLY superior (they work with all headphone models, unlike Microsoft's implementation) to that of Microsoft...

And yes, this A2DP problem also applies to the most current (BT 2.0 / EDR) Windows Mobile-based phones like the Oxygen or the Vox. That is, it's not a hwardware problem (many state the MS A2DP problem is because the hardware itself is not EDR-capable) at all.

aNiMeMaN14
05-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Who the heck looks at dumb phones after having a Windows Mobile phone? Converged for three years and loving it. :lol:

sixftunda
05-31-2007, 11:30 AM
I have a Verizon razr v3m that I use when I dont feel like toting the my i730 around. Its on a separate line so I just forward calls and SMS to the razr. I do also carry them together sometimes when I have to make a lot of calls. I found I was making calls to people on the go and they would simply get my cell number off their caller ID and use it instead of calling my business number and leaving a message with my answering service. So the razr doesnt have the ID blocked but if you call it back and I dont answer, it is "No Answer" forwarded to my service, so everyone gets a live person to talk to. Now that I have thoroughly confused everyone, I am going to get breakfast. :)

TOCA
05-31-2007, 11:57 AM
I miss my old Nokia 3310's simpliccity, and ease of use :roll:

What I don't miss, is monochrome screen, with no backlight, and lack of BT support :?

My trusty old Se z600 is allways with me, for phone stuff, eaven if my Qtek can do the job, its to bulky for phonecalls, so I only use its celluar capabillitys for mail and Internet. There still are times and places, where a flashy, and fragile, PPC is not the most practical device to bring, like the beach, poolsides, bars, and other humid enviroments 8O

pocketpcadmirer
05-31-2007, 02:13 PM
MotoFone F3, I love it

Same here. Whenever my friend bring this and talk into it, I feel like an idiot talking into my executive 0X

jarekt
05-31-2007, 05:21 PM
I have SE k750i and i carry it with my Wizard or Universal. Now i plan to upgrade my PPC but i will stick with SE definitely (i'll upgrade to k800i). I just cant live without decent photo capabilities... Now I have chance to get Samsung i600 which is great phone but totally between my 2 devices :( Is it too geeky to carry 3 phones simultanesly?

Anjuan Simmons
05-31-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't get "dumb phone envy", but I do get "dumb phone feature envy". For example, almost every free phone offered by the major carriers can automatically adjust the time when you go to a different time zone. WHY can't my $500 plus dollar "smart" phone do the same? Instead, I have to follow multiple taps to manually change the time zone. Also, the voice recorder on most free cell phones trounces the built in voice recorder in Windows Mobile. It's easy to use and I can actually understand what I say on playback. Finally, I've never had a "dumb phone" freeze in the middle of a call, but my Sprint PPC 6700 has on more than one occasion.

daS
05-31-2007, 07:11 PM
I usually carry two devices: A "dumb" Motorola clam shell phone (it at least has Bluetooth) and a Pocket PC Phone (currently the HTC Universal aka i-Mate JasJar.)

If I'm in a "social" situation (such as out for a nice dinner) I don't take the HTC, but keep the dumb phone in my pocket on vibrate.

I use the "dumb" phone almost exclusively for voice and the Pocket PC for data. That's because I'm still extremely disappointed with the reliability of the Pocket PC as a phone. Too many times, the phone can ring and the "answer" button doesn't work. The device is locked up and I have to do a soft reset and miss the call. :evil:

Once the Pocket PC Phones get more reliable, I might consider a smaller Pocket PC as a single device. But for now, I use the "dumb" phone which is smart enough to actually work as a phone when I need it.

TOCA
05-31-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm glad to see, that I'm not alone on the thoughts about using a phone for calls, and a PPC for data :D

And eaven if the phone can act as a modem, via BT, it's more easy to have a SIM card directly in the PPC, for easy web and mail access 8)

And as daS says: "Once the Pocket PC Phones get more reliable, I might consider a smaller Pocket PC as a single device. But for now, I use the "dumb" phone which is smart enough to actually work as a phone when I need it", plus the fact, that you look like you're trying to stick a calculator into your ear, using a PPC as a phone :?

Mark Larson
06-02-2007, 10:06 PM
I definitely like some of the newer phones that are coming out. They're slim, full-featured, and some can even do Java midlet multi-tasking (like the newer SE models).

That said, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I have a Q now that is very full-featured, but I am envious of my girlfriend's A900m and its ability to run Telenav and other J2ME apps. When I had my SDA, I was envious of her T809's size. But when you actually start to use those phones day in and day out, all their weaknesses come to your attention.