View Full Version : New here: Networking

Vaughan_Davies
05-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi

I just bought an iPaq 2490 for my wife and have enjoyed myself setting it up. The thing I'm confused about though is joining it to our wireless network.

In Settings I can create and specify different networks ("My ISP", "Home network" for example). In the proxy server settings, I can specify that the network is connected to the internet.

In the wireless setup, for any given AP I can specify "this computer connects to my Work" or "this computer connects to the Internet".

OK, I can connect to the internet provided I choose the "My ISP" network and "this computer connects to the internet". And I can browse other (shared) folders on the network if I choose "this computer connects to work", but then I can't access the internet. The proxy server tickbox doesn't seem to affect that.

So my question is: what are all these settings and what is the relationship between them? I want to be able to browse shared folders on the network, and access the internet without having to change system settings (like I do with the PCs on the network).

Another thing: I can tap on a music file stored on the iPaq and it launches Windows Media Player and starts to play. If I do the same with a file saved in a shared network drive, I can't make it play. Isn't there some way of playing files over the network?

I hope you kind people will be able to give me a bit of guidance here. It all seems very different to what I'm used to with Windows XP!

Many thanks in advance,

Vaughan

Cybrid
05-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Chris Herrera has an excellent write up of the Internet VS. Work. I'll find the link later. But you should be able to surf and browse at the same time on work.

Edit:
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/connectionmanager.htm

Vaughan_Davies
05-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks Cybrid. I did a search and found the link. It looks very promising.

Thanks

Vaughan

Edit: Just spotted the link in your edit above (duh!)