View Full Version : Samsung fits 8GB into a MicroSD card

Nurhisham Hussein
05-17-2007, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/16/samsung-develops-8gb-microsd-card/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/16/...b-microsd-card/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Wow, it seems like we were just marveling over the introduction of the world's first 8GB SD card a few moons back. Ah, that's right, we were. Alas, Samsung took it to heart that SD doesn't cut it for your average cellphone (they run a bumpin' mobile business, after all), announcing that it has managed to pack a full eight gigabytes into the microSD form factor for mid-2008 production."</i><br /><br />How many angels can fit on the top of a pinhead? Knowing how small a MicroSD card is, I'm amazed at the speed of development in flash memory capacity when only a few years ago the upper limit was counted in MBs. The new Samsung card is slated for production in mid-2008, so you'll still have to wait awhile to get your hands on it. When it <i>does</i> come out, I'm betting that the price is going to do deep damage to your wallet's health - at least until volumes justify a price decrease. However, lower capacity cards are bound to continue falling in price, which will put multi-GB storage in reach for virtually everybody. Now, if only we can persuade device manufacturers to fully adopt SDHC.

stoker
05-18-2007, 04:41 AM
Have only seen musings of whether the 2gb maximum (my Hermes Tytn) can be extended to anything greater. I have yet to see something definitive on this issue as to whether it is a hardware or software to blame. Of course, if it were software, then you would think that somebody or one of these new SDHC manufacturers might have commented on the prospects of eventually using this new format in our current devices.. Of course, if someone can show me a better indication of what, or what not to expect, then I am all ears. Point me the way please, to me being able to use these new micros in my device.

k1darkknight
05-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Okay, so...I presume this is essentially microSD-HC?

stoker
05-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Yes that is what I am referring to. All os the SDMicro's that come out over 2GB are HC . I need to know whether I will ever have a chance of using these new cards in my Tytn.

Nurhisham Hussein
05-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Yes that is what I am referring to. All os the SDMicro's that come out over 2GB are HC . I need to know whether I will ever have a chance of using these new cards in my Tytn.

Not a chance I'm afraid - the TyTN doesn't have an SDHC slot. It's essentially a hardware issue, not software.