View Full Version : Simple WM Device for GPS

DiGiTYZED
05-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Any recommendations on a simple/entry level windows mobile device which will mainly be used for GPS navigation? I'm looking for something that has WiFi, mini or micro SD slot, a decent size screen/display and Bluetooth because I will be pairing it with a Bluetooth GPS receiver. It can be an older model as long as it runs WM5.

TIA

P.S. - I wanna spend as little as possible, because It will become relatively unused or sold after a couple of weeks... and I don't want/need one of those dedicated mobile GPS devices that run Window Mobile.

Brad Adrian
05-15-2007, 02:23 AM
FYI, nearly all non-Phone Edition Pocket PCs use SD or CF cards, as opposed to mini- or micro-SD, so you'll probably need to plan on using an SD adapter.

Sven Johannsen
05-15-2007, 04:35 AM
Not sure I get the requirements. You don't want one of those dedicated GPS units that run WM... I don't think there is a dedicated GPS that runs WM. There are dedicated GPS units out there that do use Windows CE. There are Windows Mobile device that have embedded GPS receivers, but I wouldn't call them dedicated GPSs.

You want WiFi, OK, not hard. You want to use a BT GPS...because you already have one? You want mini-micro SD...does that mean you specifically don't want SD? You don't want to spend much...who does, but you understand that not much comes with any mapping/nav software given your other requirements. Got any idea what you plan to use? What does it need to do? Just tell you where you are? On a road, or off road, i.e. city or topo navigation. Does it need to calculate routes? provide guidance? re-route if off course? US, Europe, or world wide maps?

If cheap is important, what drives the WM5 requirement? You'd have a lot more options with a used WM2003SE unit.

DiGiTYZED
05-15-2007, 07:29 AM
North America. Street. City navigation. TomTom Navigator 6 or Garmin Mobile XT.

I'm basically driving coast to coast (NY to WA) and will be in a new/unknown city for 3 months and would love GPS navigation using a WM device and BT GPS receiver (so I can use it while walking too). Features like moving maps, route calculation and re-routing are what I'm hoping for.

TIA

P.S. - The original plan was to buy the Sprint PPC/HTC 6800 (and a BT GPS receiver if Sprint disabled built-in GPS), but it has been delayed, so I want a temporary replacement (minus the phone function) for the meantime.

kgoto
05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Have you looked at the HP iPAQ rx5915?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000JET9EA/ref=nosim/coffeeresearch68702-20

It is a very capable GPS with TomTom Navigator 6 included, and a full-featured WM5 PPC as well.

Cybrid
05-16-2007, 09:11 AM
With those somewhat contradictory requirements, I'm not sure you'll find what you want for a reasonable price.
WM5 & BT GPS make the price higher.
I would also have to echo Sven's sentiment on the bias against SD and CF...
I'm assuming...what you'd like to do is buy something as to tide you over until the HTC 6800...and then you'd sell...transitioning the accessories to the new PPC.
I think the only option that seems even remotely economical is
Paragon's (Dave) buy & sell ad here at Pocket PC Thoughts.
A 6700 (Telus),2 Gb miniSD, BT GPS, case, headset & misc other stuff for $400. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54802)
or a similar used & accessorized system through eBay or Kijiji.
Price would of course vary as per age and lessening of requirements...
:)

Sven Johannsen
05-17-2007, 05:05 AM
Doesn't sound like you really care about the PPC features in the near term. The rx5915 kgoto suggested is a pretty good solution if you do. A Mio 310x is pretty decent if you don't care. They can be found for under $200, and come with all the routing features you seem to want. Yea it is not a PPC, but it is a GPS, works while walking, has all of US loaded and is cheap enough, you might not even care about resell value.

Any PPC you buy that doesn't already come with maps is going to force you to spend $100-$200 on the maps, and if you need a GPS, another $50 - $100. You are at $150-$300 before you even get the PPC. Then you need to mess with map transfers and stuff...none of them load the whole US seamlessly.

IMHO, GPS is a great feature you can add to a PPC if you already have and use a PPC. If GPS is what you are after, a PPC is not the way to get it.

Cybrid
05-17-2007, 04:06 PM
A Mio 310x is pretty decent if you don't care. They can be found for under $200, and come with all the routing features you seem to want. Yea it is not a PPC, Blasphemy! :)
He did mention his plan to get the 6800 when available.
He wants a "loaner" in the meantime.

Sven Johannsen
05-18-2007, 06:20 AM
A Mio 310x is pretty decent if you don't care. They can be found for under $200, and come with all the routing features you seem to want. Yea it is not a PPC, Blasphemy! :)
He did mention his plan to get the 6800 when available.
He wants a "loaner" in the meantime.

Well, yea. I still expect him to get the 6800...he promised. In the meantime though, the 310 is probably the cheapest alternative to do the GPS thing.