View Full Version : Time Zone Won't "Stick"

Brad Adrian
05-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm aware of all the wierd time zone stuff that happened earlier this year, but this problem I don't think I've seen:

I travelled to Seattle over the weekend. Like an idiot, I changed to a Visiting Time Zone, thinking I could always change it back.

Well, now that I've returned home to the Eastern Zone, whenever I try to change back to the Home zone, it looks like it works, but when I close that screen and go back into it, it has changed back to the Pacific Zone.

And, yes, I've installed the Time Zone fix from MS.

Any thoughts? It's really starting to tick me off!

Sven Johannsen
05-10-2007, 04:26 AM
And, yes, I've installed the Time Zone fix from MS.
Hi Brad,
Try uninstalling it. I had a similar issue, and taking it back off helped. I do believe I installed it twice (by mistake :oops: ) though. See how it does after that. You can always put it back.

Brad Adrian
05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
thanks, I'll try that.

I think I may have brought this on myself (kinda). The touchscreen on my 8125 -- on which I had fixed the DST issue in March-- was acting funky so I got a replacement unit from Cingular. So, I had updated my PC in March but didnt't update my new unit until now. So, there was a time gap.

Still, this problem persists even when I'm NOT connected (and goofy Cingular -- er, "AT&T" -- doesn't automatically update time and zones over the air.)

Brad Adrian
05-10-2007, 04:25 PM
No luck. I'm going to try to restore to a backup made before my infamous trip, but I'm not too optimistic.

<sigh>

At least I'm getting better at doing a complete rebuild of my devices. I can install and validate all 30 or so applications in about 2 hours.

Brad Adrian
05-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Okay----

Spb Software House Backup FREEKIN' ROCKS!!!!! (Insert image of Brad dancing across the floor, doing his interpretation of "The Hustle" ...)

Luckily, I had done a backup using Spb just before my trip, so this morning I did a "Custom Restore" from the executable backup file and restored only the system files. I did have to delete and re-establish the partnership, but DANG! that's a small price to pay.

I've tried just about every well-known backup software there is and have, frankly, often had awful results when it finally came time to restore (a great time to find out, huh?). But Spb's Backup has to be -- IMNSHO -- the absolute BEST backup solution I've ever, ever, EVER tried to rely upon.

BTW, in case you didn't know, I've become a terrific fan of all of Spb's stuff over the years, so if you haven't at least tried their applications, you owe it to yourself to give 'em a look (free demos available):

www.spbsoftwarehouse.com

Thanks, Sven, for the suggestions and help!

Mark Kenepp
05-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Spb Software House Backup FREEKIN' ROCKS!!!!! (Insert image of Brad dancing across the floor, doing his interpretation of "The Hustle" ...)

Cool! (That you were able to recover with your backup, not that you were doing "The Hustle")

I use Spb Backup regularly, but so far, knock on wood, I have not needed to restore.

I guess the question is, if you change to your Visiting Time Zone now, will it stick again?

Sven Johannsen
05-11-2007, 05:01 AM
Still, this problem persists even when I'm NOT connected (and goofy Cingular -- er, "AT&T" -- doesn't automatically update time and zones over the air.)

I haven't found that any of my PPCPE devices accept over the air time/TZ updates. The pure SPs do, but generally have a way to turn that off. If you recall all the fun arguments Ed and I have had about how the system moves all your appointmentrs when you change TZ, you can see how the system changing TZ on you automatically might irritate some.

Brad Adrian
05-11-2007, 02:59 PM
If you recall all the fun arguments Ed and I have had about how the system moves all your appointmentrs when you change TZ, you can see how the system changing TZ on you automatically might irritate some.
And by "some," you mean heretics like Ed. ;)

Personally, I think the timezone model used by MS follows the same intuitive approach that I do. So, I don't mind it (when it works as advertised). But, for appointments that span timezones, like airline flights, I enter them using CityTime, which takes care of making sure that when you DO switch to visiting cities those appointments are still "correct."