View Full Version : Where is "Storage Card2" coming from?

schmenge
05-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Sometimes after a soft reset I find that I cannot access my SD card. the reason is that my card has been renamed "Storage Card2" and I have a new "storage card" that really does not exist. In order to access my card I have to delete "storage card" and reset, then storage card2, becomes just storage card. I have this happen with two different cards, so i am sure it is not the card.

I am assuming my card is not initializing and that is creating the problem? If so, can I do anything about that? If that is not the problem, then what?

Cingular 8125 with HTC ROM and WM5.

applejosh
05-05-2007, 05:35 PM
I have this happen most likely because I re-direct the PIE cache to the storage card (although I'm assuming any auto-starting program that needs to access/store things on the card might do this). So if a storage card isn't seen at boot, the directory structure is created by the background loading program. Then when you do get the storage card to be recognized, the normal "directory" (mount point in UNIX or NTFS terminology) under root (Storage Card) is already taken, another directory (mount point) name is created and used.

One thing to check is what files/folders are in the phantom storage card. That might provide a clue as to what is creating that folder on the fly.

HTH

schmenge
05-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Good thought. I should have noted that there is an inbox folder being created. I store attachments on the SD so I am sure that is why that is being created. I could move the attachments back, but it doesn't solve the issue of why the OS can't find the real card.

thierryb
05-06-2007, 08:25 AM
The question is more "why does the OS find the SD to late ?" or as you said: "why the OS does not find the Sd at all? ".
If your question is the first one, it is know since a long time. This is the main reason to not install today plugin or system enhancement on the SD but in the main memory of your pda.

I do not know which software do your problem, but sure it is started too early. What you can do is remove it from the starting stage, or put it in the last position after every is also started at the boot stage. You can do that with tools like Sktools or Memaid.

schmenge
05-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks, I had not thought of that. I checked my startup and moved poutlook to the end. Everything in startup, as well as my plugins, are in main memory. I moved poutlook since "inbox" and "attachments" are what are being recreated when the card isn't found.