View Full Version : Copy a file from WM5 device to Windows XP computer via WiFi?

Pure Krome
04-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Hi folks,
i've got a new O2 Axom Life thingy. Works great, etc. I've got it connected to my wifi at home fine. it surfs the net fine, etc.

How can I copy files to/from my device to my home computer running XP? i have a few home computers all networked up and i can copy files between them with no problems.

the names of the computers are:

1) HomePC
2) WorkPC

(just to keep it simple).

so .. can it be done? if so, how?

thierryb
04-30-2007, 06:37 AM
If you already have shared folder on your pcs, it's easy to do it with resco explorer. Just connect your Pda to your network and browse it with resco.

Pure Krome
04-30-2007, 07:04 AM
resco explorer? so i have to purchase a 3rd party product to do this? it's not out of the box?

Nurhisham Hussein
05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
You can do it out of the box, but it isn't easy. The File Explorer in Windows Mobile is really basic, and you have to manually type in the name of the host computer and shared folder to access the shared folder. There was a hack that worked in WM2003 where you could enable network folders, and have all your typed shared folders be accessible, but I'm not sure if this still works in WM5. What makes Resco and other 3rd party products a good deal (apart from the *far* better functionality you get), is you can browse network folders as well, which you couldn't do with just the hack.

Pure Krome
05-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I've had another go last night, and i found out that i was doing the following TWO things wrong.

a) i was NOT listing the share. ie. i did \\server .. not \\server\share.
b) i changed my wifi to go from INTERNET to WORK.

wtf?! internet to work?! why the?!!!!!!! it seems that it was trying to connect to my share using GPRS instead of wifi? when i went to WORK, it worked (pun not intended).

But with my wifi connection set to work, i cannot surf the net! WTF #2???

Upon further investigation, I noticed that the default work connection has 'Can connect to internet' ticked OFF. So i ticked that on ... and nothing. Huh? i went back and it is still Off! er.. ok .. ticked on. nothing. rinse repeat ..... WTF #3!!!! the tick box does NOT want to stay TICKED!!!!

if i THEN tick on PROXY and put a space or two (because i'm not using a proxy) then the tick boxes remain ticked and viola. i can surf AND access my share.

that is so fraked.

So how can i set up my device so that if the WIFI connection is off, then it tries GPRS? is there a way?

Nurhisham Hussein
05-02-2007, 07:28 PM
So how can i set up my device so that if the WIFI connection is off, then it tries GPRS? is there a way?

Unfortunately - manually is about the only way to do this (i.e. switching network connections). It can be automated, but that requires some scripting.

poisonz
07-08-2007, 07:43 AM
I've had another go last night, and i found out that i was doing the following TWO things wrong.

a) i was NOT listing the share. ie. i did \\server .. not \\server\share.
b) i changed my wifi to go from INTERNET to WORK.
Its good to hear your \\computername\sharename works.
It didnt work for me, so some reason it only allow me to use \ instant of \\
The different between from internet and work mode I found. It is firewall or non firewall. They may not call the protocol firewall, but it does block you access from network when choose "internet mode".

I only can say have fun fixing GPRS mix up with WiFi mode. I had the same problem when click here and there my IE stop work. A good advice is reboot to system to register what you have changed, this may help you to fix problem. Your problem can be fix, but it takes time to correct it without knowing why. If you still can not fix it, just do a hard reset and start over.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-09-2007, 08:07 AM
I only can say have fun fixing GPRS mix up with WiFi mode. I had the same problem when click here and there my IE stop work. A good advice is reboot to system to register what you have changed, this may help you to fix problem. Your problem can be fix, but it takes time to correct it without knowing why. If you still can not fix it, just do a hard reset and start over.

Soft reset isn't necessary - just suspend your device, wait a few seconds, and switch it on again. This saves any changes made to the registry.

FWIW, I've always manually defined separate network settings for GPRS/3G and wifi, and manually switch the settings depending on which way I want to connect - that works pretty well for me. As I posted before, it is possible to automatically script changes, rather than having to drill down through all the menus to change the settings.