View Full Version : Would u buy an iPaq 4700 Today or still keep your exisiting one?

IpaqMan2
04-27-2007, 09:58 AM
I am looking to get an Ipaq 4700, but was wondering, because it's an older model that is end of life, what some of your thoughts might be?

I currently have a Treo 700wx, but am looking to discontinue using it for 2 main reasons. First, my company bought me a phone and pays all of it's minutes, personal, business, or otherwise. Second reason, is that I have found my self relying less and less on my Treo for work I use to do on my PDAs, due to it's smaller screen size than on previews PDAs I owned. I love my Treo, but I need as much screen as possible because of the large amount of data I need to look at while at work and in the field.

So my question to those of you who have the 4700 or owned it in the past, do you think the 4700 is still a good PPC to get today and would you if you needed a stand alone PPC device, still buy one?

As a side note... Does anyone know if the WM 5 is still available to upgrade on the 4700?

buzzard
04-27-2007, 10:57 AM
The 4700 is probably the best HP PPC ever but if you want to keep it that way stay away from Wm5. It sort of works for some people but most thought it was a disaster on the 4700 (although Wm5 works great on products originally designed for it).

juni
04-28-2007, 07:11 AM
I'm holding on to mine - there really aren't any new devices out yet which would compete with it. (btw. WM5 works great on my device - HP updated the rom a while back).

But since it only has WM5 I wouldn't buy it as a new device.

WyattEarp
05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm not giving up mine yet. It is definately the best PPC HP created. If WM5 wasn't offered for the 4700 I'd still keep it with WM2003SE. IMO it's the device that makes it great not the OS. Nothing else really compares to it yet to me.

KTamas
05-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I am actually a new owner of this device (strangely as it sounds, I switched from a converged device) and I have to say I love it. The gorgeous screen, the build quality, the dual expansion slots, the fast processor (I am watching sweet, sweet VGA videos!). The only letdown is the touchpad but you can get used to it. I think it is still the best non-PE PPC device out there. Just stick with 2003SE.

Paul79UF
11-13-2007, 06:03 PM
I love my 4700.

If anything ever happened to it...I'd buy a new/used one in a heartbeat.

Hx4700
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Last year I Upgraded(?) from my Hx4700 to a converged Hw6945.
- I really miss the large VGA screen. On the 4700 I could view Excel at 50% zoom with VGA, but only at 75% with QVGA.
- Movies were OK on the 4700 VGA screen at landscape. Not so much on the smaller QVGA screens.
- The slower processor on the 6945 was fixed with Hackmaster.
- The two cards slots were nice but not necessary.
- Also the 4700 needs an addon for GPS which the 6945 has builtin.
- Actually many converged devices have builtin BT for KB and stereo headsets, and Wifi and phone to connect to internet, and some with builtin GPS (HW and SW).
- Having a converged device means I don't forget one as easily as I did before.
So you have to make tradeoffs for whats most important to you.
I'm waiting for the iPaq 910 which I think will have it all - we'll see.
Ron...

MTHall49
11-25-2007, 01:17 AM
I am actually a new owner of this device (strangely as it sounds, I switched from a converged device) and I have to say I love it. The gorgeous screen, the build quality, the dual expansion slots, the fast processor (I am watching sweet, sweet VGA videos!). The only letdown is the touchpad but you can get used to it. I think it is still the best non-PE PPC device out there. Just stick with 2003SE.

If I get one with version 5 is there a easy way to rip out the ver. 5 and replace the OS with 2003SE?

juni
11-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Last weekend I upgraded it to WM6 and I must say it really is fast and smooth. (you can find info about the rom upgrade elsewhere on the forums) :)

Russ Smith
11-29-2007, 03:46 AM
I recently updated my hx4700 to WM6 and I'm liking it quite a bit. It's already upgraded (by PPC Techs) to 128MB RAM, so the only thing the new 210 has over it is WiFi(g), SDHC, and a somewhat more efficient processor. It's odd with all the action going on over in the Handtop area that there really hasn't been much improvement in the PPC area.

juni
11-29-2007, 09:01 AM
I use Wifi a lot with it too (since it is built-in). :)

VulcanTourist
12-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Last weekend I upgraded it to WM6 and I must say it really is fast and smooth. (you can find info about the rom upgrade elsewhere on the forums) :)

Good to see you finally made the leap.

ds50137
12-26-2007, 04:21 AM
I have enjoyed my IPaq 4700 so much, I was wondering if I was alone. It is great to see I am not. The size of the screen, the fact that it does practially everything (mp3 player, games, books, audiobooks, office, calendar, wifi, etc.) I really have fun with it.

If mine died today, I would be out looking for a new one right away. I love this.