View Full Version : Updating WMP Mobile locks-up

adrefs
04-17-2007, 02:19 PM
I have a brand new Cingular 8525 that refuses to upload all the music files from the memory card. It worked flawlessly the first time I inserted the card and uploaded all 200+ songs into WMP but has refused to do since. Once "update library" is selected it instantly begins to upload and then when it hits number 199 the rest of the indicator bar will fill in from left to right and then the screen displays "Adding files..." and never finishes.

Any insight as to how to get this to work would be most appreciated. To date this device has been far less impressive than anticipated and I am convinced now, more than ever, of the superiority and user-friendliness of the Palm OS.

Cybrid
04-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I have a brand new Cingular 8525 that refuses to upload all the music files from the memory card. It worked flawlessly the first time I inserted the card and uploaded all 200+ songs into WMP but has refused to do since. Once "update library" is selected it instantly begins to upload and then when it hits number 199 the rest of the indicator bar will fill in from left to right and then the screen displays "Adding files..." and never finishes.

Any insight as to how to get this to work would be most appreciated. To date this device has been far less impressive than anticipated and I am convinced now, more than ever, of the superiority and user-friendliness of the Palm OS. Try re-syncing the data after formatting the card. Out of curiosity, why did you need to update the library again? You only have to do it once. It leaves a metadata? file that has the history of whats on there and anytime that card was inserted...you'd see your files.

P.S. the evil one in me wants to start a flame war with that Palm comment. :devilboy:
Windows Mobile is less user friendly as opposed to simple Palm. It is far more complex which makes it harder to use but infinitely more versatile.
Palm is currently developmentally challenged but my saying that is like the proverbial :deadhorse: :lol: :lol: The above was simply to amuse me.

adrefs
04-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I did re-sync to na avail and I had to re-update due to the fact that after shutting down the device all the music was gone. When I'd look for files under "Library" only "my device" showed up and not "storage card". The only way to et music into the player was to import each file individually. Tech support directed me to delete the metadata file (only possible thru the "Activesync" interface) and then try to update again...this finally worked.

With regard to my Palm OS comment that is based upon the fact that in the very first week of ownership of this very expensive Cingular 8525 I have had more issues and frustrations than in the last 3 years of Treo ownership. On top of the fact that this brand new and supposedly best PDA/Phone doesn't even have a reflective screen which my Treo had 2 years ago. The result is that this darn thing is hardly visible out in the sun which I find inexcusable in this day and age. I never thought that I would need to take a new phone outside to see if it had a reflective screen.

Anyway, I digress...thanks again for your input! ; ) And please keep the evil one away!!

Cybrid
04-17-2007, 10:51 PM
With regard to my Palm OS comment that is based upon the fact that in the very first week of ownership of this very expensive Cingular 8525 I have had more issues and frustrations than in the last 3 years of Treo ownership. On top of the fact that this brand new and supposedly best PDA/Phone doesn't even have a reflective screen which my Treo had 2 years ago. The result is that this darn thing is hardly visible out in the sun which I find inexcusable in this day and age. I never thought that I would need to take a new phone outside to see if it had a reflective screen.If I remember correctly from the pocket PC 2000 days, basically there was a compromise. You could get vibrant color from a non-reflective TFT screen or get better outdoor visibility.
http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/SCREENQUALITY/
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35630
So while lacking in the outdoor department, it probably has pretty decent colour reproduction.

I'm glad that the music thing has worked out.

The evil one aside, you'll find that most of the Pocket PC Thoughts community is very helpful and feel free to ask anything. Many are Palm to Windows Mobile migrants and will be able to help you get the most out of your new toy. There's even a forum for it. http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=36
So ask away. :lol: :lol:

Angel of Death
04-18-2007, 07:02 AM
adrefs, could you please describe in detail what you did to solve this problem?

I have the exact same problem. All of a sudden, the WMP Library does not recognise that there is a memory card. If I use the Update function from the Library, it will find all my files, but after half an eternity of "Adding files", it only adds music files on the device, not those on the memory card. :evil:

From the Library, I can choose "Open file..." from the menu, and successfully play any music on the memory card. I just won't add files to the library. It's like it's not there...

/Angel

Cybrid
04-18-2007, 09:10 AM
adrefs, could you please describe in detail what you did to solve this problem?

I have the exact same problem. All of a sudden, the WMP Library does not recognise that there is a memory card. If I use the Update function from the Library, it will find all my files, but after half an eternity of "Adding files", it only adds music files on the device, not those on the memory card. :evil:

From the Library, I can choose "Open file..." from the menu, and successfully play any music on the memory card. I just won't add files to the library. It's like it's not there...

/AngelJust a quick check. In the library menu> top left> where it says "library" click to open. See if you have "device" selected instead "sd card". Select "sd card" and your music will be visible. It's retarded, I know. I can only think that this was done so that you couldn't attempt to access a file which wasn't there when the card is removed. The playlist shortcut wouldn't be valid then.
Should that not be the problem, then use a file explorer capable of viewing hidden files and delete the MSMetadata file on your card. The standard pocketPC one won't see it.
The desktop file explore will see it during Activesync or should that not be available www.ghisler.com for Total Commander which is far more robust and includes FTP, Registry, Network browsing. This awesome software costs $0.00, that's right free!
For more advanced fun, set up a shared folder and stream your music through your home wireless network.