View Full Version : GPRS Roaming

tciprop
04-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi
I've been trying to investigate the possibility of GPRS Roaming whilst on vacation in Florida USA in about a months time.
I got seriously stung with my phone bill last year when I used my Orange M3100 as a GPRS Modem for my laptop. It is on an Orange UK contract.
Initial advice seemed sensible. Orange said we'll unlock your phone for £20 and I must buy a local prepaid sim when I arrive in Fl.
So I unlocked my phone for nothing and busily researched the availability of said sim.
No joy so far.
The best I can find is £5 to £6 per MB from Virgin if I take a UK Virgin prepaid sim with me.
Does anyone know of any other options or have any suggestions?
Kind regards
Phil

Cybrid
04-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Hi
I've been trying to investigate the possibility of GPRS Roaming whilst on vacation in Florida USA in about a months time.
I got seriously stung with my phone bill last year when I used my Orange M3100 as a GPRS Modem for my laptop. It is on an Orange UK contract.
Initial advice seemed sensible. Orange said we'll unlock your phone for £20 and I must buy a local prepaid sim when I arrive in Fl.
So I unlocked my phone for nothing and busily researched the availability of said sim.
No joy so far.
The best I can find is £5 to £6 per MB from Virgin if I take a UK Virgin prepaid sim with me.
Does anyone know of any other options or have any suggestions?
Kind regards
Phil Wifi is very common out here. Why run through a dog slow GPRS connection?
For the SIM, buy a pre-paid phone. Get the SIM set up on a pre-paid account and off you go. Sell the cheap phone. $100 or less. Check the local ads for even better deals.

SkyBoy
04-15-2007, 07:01 PM
if your phone can use UMTS/HSPDA, then check out Cingular pre-paid. They have almost universal 3G coverage in most tourist destinations in Florida.
check out the prepaid rates at http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service//cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp