View Full Version : Moving Large Files to the External Card?

Saginaw
04-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I have a new desktop computer using MS-Vista and MS-Office 2007, plus I have a new Treo 700wx PDA with the Windows Mobile operating system. With only 64 MB of user memory in the PDA, is there a way to perminently transfer (not just copy) the very-large Outlook "pim" data file to the SD card, which can be increased to well beyond 1GB? I run a consulting business and have over 7,000 contacts, plus a pretty full calendar that I keep in Outlook 2007. I’m having no luck synchronizing such a large Outlook file to the limited internal Pocket PC memory.

Thanks

Cybrid
04-18-2007, 11:55 AM
I have a new desktop computer using MS-Vista and MS-Office 2007, plus I have a new Treo 700wx PDA with the Windows Mobile operating system. With only 64 MB of user memory in the PDA, is there a way to perminently transfer (not just copy) the very-large Outlook "pim" data file to the SD card, which can be increased to well beyond 1GB? I run a consulting business and have over 7,000 contacts, plus a pretty full calendar that I keep in Outlook 2007. I’m having no luck synchronizing such a large Outlook file to the limited internal Pocket PC memory.

Thanks64Mb=64,000,000 Bytes =64 million characters.
(64x10^6)/7000= 9000
characters per contact. I did the math out of curiosity.
Then some research. (http://discussion.treocentral.com/archive/index.php/t-128167.html)In this a user with 1500 contacts had a 1.5Mb file.
I don't think it is the memory limiting it but Activesync is somehow choking on it. Back up your data! I make no warranties that this will work and may possibly "pooft" all your data.

Use Vista's system backup to make a drive image. Verify it. If not using Ultimate, Acronis backup.
Use Outlook's export feature to create a .csv file. Back that up and print it :/

Use Outlook's backup feature to create a .pst backup.

Search for and use Vista's User State migration tool. Back that up.

When you have a sufficiently large number of verified backups in a fireproof safe and under your pillow, then and only then proceed.
Backup your PocketPC using sprite.
:lol:

Ready? Have backups?

Create a new vista profile.
Use the Outlook .pst to migrate all your data.
Sync to new profile.
If your appointments and contacts are categorized. Sync individual categories one at a time (in settinqs).
If not, Sync appointments only. If no go, Try only 2-3 weeks of data (in settings). then contacts.
Try breaking the .csv file into smaller chunks and importing them back. Sync then import another batch.

The idea is to spoon feed the data through Activesync. Activesync is notoriously unreasonable when dealing with large files. You may have some cross-linked data that is somehow impeding the transfer.

Saginaw
04-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the tips. Before I do anything, though, I must mention that I've never tried syncronizing with ActiveSync. Microsoft now states on their website that Vista takes over the sync function through the "Windows Mobile Device Center 6" download. ActiveSync is not a supported syn method under Vista.

Regards,

Saginaw

Cybrid
04-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the tips. Before I do anything, though, I must mention that I've never tried syncronizing with ActiveSync. Microsoft now states on their website that Vista takes over the sync function through the "Windows Mobile Device Center 6" download. ActiveSync is not a supported syn method under Vista.

Regards,

SaginawYeah. It's basically the same, only renamed with a brand new look. It's gained a few more types of devices which can sync to it but remains essentially the same process. Wherever I said Activesync, on a Vista system I mean WMDC 6.

victore
05-07-2007, 07:58 PM
cybrid, so aside from limiting the amount of data that as deals with, there's no way to have the pim.vol live on something other than on board memory?

Cybrid
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
cybrid, so aside from limiting the amount of data that as deals with, there's no way to have the pim.vol live on something other than on board memory?I don't believe you would need to limit the amount of data. if 1500 contacts takes up 1.5Mb then an extrapolation of 7000 contacts would be close to 8Mb. The device has enough memory. Somehow it is syncing incorrectly.

The steps I've suggested are to try and feed it through smaller spoonfuls so that we can ascertain what is causing the problem.

First make a backup of the data, this way it can be restored should a problem arise.

After which, try using the settings in WMDC to incrementally sync the data over.

Brad Adrian
05-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Besides, AFAIK, there is no way to move the PIM data files to a storage card -- unless there's been some new kind of hack/app introduced recently.