View Full Version : Multiple sims, one number?

ctmagnus
03-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Is it possible to have more than one sim card associated with one mobile number, such that an individual could have two (or more) devices that have the same phone number?

SteveHoward999
04-01-2007, 04:40 AM
Nope.

Well, not really.

A few years ago I was 'between phones' and 'between providers' for a couple of hours as I switched my number. For a couple of hours both phones would ring at the same time, but only one would actually pick up the call. weird.

Anyway, the real answer is no. But you could set up call forwarding so that if you don't pick up on phone 1, phone 2 rings ...

ADBrown
04-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Is it possible to have more than one sim card associated with one mobile number, such that an individual could have two (or more) devices that have the same phone number?

Nope. It used to be possible years ago for GSM phones via a process called SIM cloning, but due to the obvious potential for abuse, there was a major push to come out with new SIM cards which couldn't be cloned.

Nurhisham Hussein
04-02-2007, 09:34 AM
I've actually got this service available through my carrier - both multi-sim/one-line (http://www.maxis.com.my/personal/latest/promo/m1lsm_intro.asp) and multi-line/one-sim (http://www.maxis.com.my/personal/latest/promo/ml1sim_intro.asp). I haven't tried either, but I'm told there're some obvious restrictions on use, e.g. only one line active at a time.

ahramis
08-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Yes, it's possible!

Two sims - for example, one in your car phone and the other one on your mobile phone - with the same number. No problem. I have that solution provided by Vodafone, in Portugal. The extra sim card costs abot 5 euros.

Whem some one calls me the two phones ring at same time.

ctmagnus
09-01-2007, 05:36 AM
It may be technically possible, but the Rogers rep said they don't allow it, or don't want it, or something along those lines.

I had to buy the second sim (as well as the first one, as they had recently switched to 3G sims and my current sim was from Edge-speed days) for I forget how much, but I'm paying I think $5/month for a second number that doesn't have any frills or anything plus $10/month for data on that number.

Jason Dunn
09-05-2007, 06:40 PM
It may be technically possible, but the Rogers rep said they don't allow it, or don't want it, or something along those lines.

Yup - welcome to the ass-backwards nature of Canadian carriers. :roll:

Brad Adrian
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
It's not allowable in the US, either. Probably the closest you'll be able to come in most regions is separate phone lines with some kind of automatic rollover or simultaneous ring service.