View Full Version : APRIL FOOLS: Microsoft Removes Email, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks From Desktop ActiveSync

Jon Westfall
04-01-2007, 12:25 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://smallunit.com/news-ap-reuters/ms_removes_desktop_syncs.html' target='_blank'>http://smallunit.com/news-ap-reuter...ktop_syncs.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Microsoft Corp (NASDAQ: MSFT) has announced late yesterday that future versions of its Windows Mobile operating system, as well as future versions of it's desktop software (ActiveSync or the Windows Mobile Device Center in Windows Vista) will not support computer-to-mobile device synchronization between Microsoft Outlook and the device. In an effort to bolster the services of it's partners, Microsoft has announced that synchronization done via an Exchange server is the preferred (and soon only) method supported by the company. Exchange sync can be performed via cellular data plans on phone-enabled devices, or though WiFi on non-phone PDAs."</i><br /><br />Wow 8O I knew that MS felt strongly about bolstering the business of it's trusted partners, but this just screams "outrageous" to most of us. While I haven't used this feature in ActiveSync in quite a few years now, I still think it's valuable and should be included. After all, most beginners are years away from contemplating exchange sync solutions!

hx2210
04-01-2007, 01:14 PM
WHAT!

That just aint right! First HP and now Microsoft! Glad I have backups of AS and WMDC, that way when they roll this out I can use my old versions to continue using my expensive devices. Unless Microsoft drop the price of Exchange and make it easy to implement for the average user, then the sales of Windows Mobile devices is going to plummet.

All I need now is for retailers to announce that they are no longer stocking Windows Mobile devices, and I will be converted to using something other than Microsoft products.

wonkman
04-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Hmmm. Posted Sun Apr 1st? This is going to be a long day. :roll:

SassKwatch
04-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Coming on 4/1, this posting is the epitomy of irony.......

As dysfunctional as ActiveSync has been for some folks for a LONG time, it could be argued there is no 'news' in this item. :D

jaytee
04-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Lol :lol:

pmoh
04-01-2007, 01:56 PM
You can always check http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroom/mobile/default.mspx
if you want to check it...

mobilemail
04-01-2007, 02:11 PM
It was getting ugly wen the PDA/phone convergence started because too many fingers where in the pie when it came to firmware upgrades. The customer -- who actually paid good money for his device -- often ended up with a device that could not be upgraded, even if Microsoft made upgrades available, because the carrier kept the user's device locked down. In what other industry do you pay so much for an item over which you have so little control?

Let's add to that. Since Microsoft came out with the Palm-size PC, they have consistently refused to include applications that most users end up purchasing to add basic functionality: Task manager, battery status monitor, flash card formatter, to name a few. Basic functions ignored through several generations of devices. So what do we get? Email that still doesn't do HTML, calendar that still doesn't support colors, Word that doesn't support....Word. And now, even basic PIM synchronization is being abbreviated. Need I go on?

A high end Windows Mobile device that comes out of the box with the above "features" now costs more than an entry level laptop. Sure the laptop is bigger, but I can have full computer functionality for less investment. Microsoft killed the usefulness of the Windows Mobile device, with a little help from the natural evolution of technology.

It's time to chuck the PDA concept and move forward with the UMPC. Get the price down and throw in an easy docking dongle, give the user a computing device that works, and isn't restricted by everyone in the manufacturing and retail chain. (That almost smacks of open source, doesn't it? Hmmm.....) A 4.5 to 7 inch screen maintains portability, and is easily extended with a wireless keyboard and larger monitor. Don't forget that monitors are flat now. A user could throw a 17" in his laptop bag for serious work, but still have the power of the computing device about town.

If the manufacturers are reading this, give us a sub-$700 UMPC that works, keyboard not needed (but a bluetooth/WiFi radio is). I'll be happy to never look back at Windows Mobile again.

hezahonker
04-01-2007, 03:59 PM
:D This is most definitely going to be a long day....

Sven Johannsen
04-01-2007, 05:09 PM
This one isn't even funny. Way to believable.

gjbnh1701
04-01-2007, 05:16 PM
This just proves that MS=Stupid. But hey WHAT ashot in the arm this would be for PALM!! Imgine the bussnesses that woud change to PALM and BLACKBERRYS! How really nice of MS to HELP their major competitors.! I would offer MS a gun to shot themselves in the OTHER foot, but I see they have already done that.

hezahonker
04-01-2007, 08:47 PM
This just proves that MS=Stupid. But hey WHAT ashot in the arm this would be for PALM!! Imgine the bussnesses that woud change to PALM and BLACKBERRYS! How really nice of MS to HELP their major competitors.! I would offer MS a gun to shot themselves in the OTHER foot, but I see they have already done that.

Relax. This thread was an April fools joke. Laugh :D

hx2210
04-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I didn't even consider the date of this item! I am so gullible.

:oops:

Jason Dunn
04-01-2007, 11:06 PM
A good one Jon - and I think, quite believable given Microsoft's track record with ActiveSync, WMDC, and Exchange sync...let's hope 2-3 years from now we're not all looking back on this joke and calling it prophetic... 8O

disconnected
04-02-2007, 12:20 AM
A good one Jon - and I think, quite believable given Microsoft's track record with ActiveSync, WMDC, and Exchange sync...let's hope 2-3 years from now we're not all looking back on this joke and calling it prophetic... 8O

That's the awful thing about it. I read the email this morning before I was awake enough to know what day it was, and although I was appalled, I was not shocked. It sounded all too believable, especially after HP's recent announcement. :(

hezahonker
04-02-2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I woke up this morning and started reading Newbreak and Pocket PC Thoughts wasn't the only forum up to this today. I was half awake too and it got me at first and then I had the sense to realize what the date was...no thanks to my husband who let me suffer for a while. :lol:

Jon Westfall
04-02-2007, 06:56 AM
My apologies to anyone who felt this was too cruel or hit too close to home! Personally I thought Darius' WM 6 Update post was WAY worse than this one. One friend of mine even commented that he was afraid for Darius' safety once x50 users found out it was a Joke!

Jason Dunn
04-03-2007, 07:18 PM
One friend of mine even commented that he was afraid for Darius' safety once x50 users found out it was a Joke!

Well, I did warn him. ;-)

The SAD part here is that while it's a joke, it shouldn't be...Dell should offer a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade for X51v owners. :roll: