View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions. Or I Think I'm Getting An Axim X51. Talk Me Into (or out of) It.

MLO
03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I've been searching since I posted this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54098&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)...the PPC options for me are few and far between.

We have a Dell rep where I work, and recently I caved and took a look at some of the Axims on their site. The x51 is listed at $399 (includes 1 Year parts and warranty) and I may be able to bargain that price down.\

I'm still undecided; I don't know when the x51 was released and I'm pretty sure Dell won't offer a WM6 upgrade, since they won't be adding to the Axim line. However, I really need a PPC...I'm still working with my iPAQ 4150 with PPC2003.

Anyone have hands on usage with the x51? Should I cave and buy it, or run screaming?[/url]

ADBrown
03-27-2007, 05:30 PM
You can often get new X51vs with the warranty for well under that price on eBay. My advice would be to go that route. You absolutely won't regret it.

buss
03-28-2007, 12:37 AM
I purchased the Axim x51v to replace a HP 4155. Here are some comments:

Pro:
VGA Screen is great! My Slingbox comes through super on it.
Lots of memory, makes a difference compared to the eariler unit
Processor Speed.....very fast
Size works for me, a bit larger than the previous unit, but still good

Con:
Audio jack is a 4 pole unit for stereo sound AND mic. Requires a special adapter if you want to connect headphones or a external speakers (Error! See following post)
Battery consumption. Not a show stopper, but not as good as my old HP
Comes with WM5, much of the software that I had for the HP would not work (biggest issue)

ADBrown
03-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Audio jack is a 4 pole unit for stereo sound AND mic. Requires a special adapter if you want to connect headphones or a external speakers

Not true, it works with all standard headphones without any special needs.

buss
03-28-2007, 02:18 AM
ADBrown, I stand corrected. There are some issues with using a 4 pole connector for mics and headphones, but as you stated it should work.

I found the correction to my problem at AximSite http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=62105&highlight=audio+jack

I needed to make an adjustment to X50mix (third party software that I installed).

Thanks for pointing out my error, made me research a little deeper and allowed me to correct my problem.

Sorry for hijacking this thread to a different subject. Now back to the topic at hand.

isajoo
03-28-2007, 07:38 AM
go for the x51v is what i would say i you did not have a ppc or upgrading from a palm device...but if u r spending $$$ in a ppc, which u already have a great one, its sort of a waste. only benifit i see is a vga screen to play better games, but then why not spend less and get a psp. if I were to upgrade TODAY from my current ppc, it would have to be a ppcpe convergence device. and/or a hp one with gps built-in. i think its the 6900s series. around the same price as a fell x51v but u get soo much more. or get NOTHING, whats wrong with your hp4150. that was my 2nd choice when i bought my current ppc. but it was too expensive at the time. plus i love connecting my ppc to my 40" lcd and using a mouse/keyboard.

MLO
03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
go for the x51v is what i would say i you did not have a ppc or upgrading from a palm device...but if u r spending $$$ in a ppc, which u already have a great one, its sort of a waste. only benifit i see is a vga screen to play better games, but then why not spend less and get a psp. if I were to upgrade TODAY from my current ppc, it would have to be a ppcpe convergence device. and/or a hp one with gps built-in. i think its the 6900s series. around the same price as a fell x51v but u get soo much more. or get NOTHING, whats wrong with your hp4150. that was my 2nd choice when i bought my current ppc. but it was too expensive at the time. plus i love connecting my ppc to my 40" lcd and using a mouse/keyboard.

It took me a couple of reads to understand your post but I think I get the idea of what you are saying.

Some of the reasons for upgrading are in the original post I made, which I linked in the first post on this topic; I'm having problems with the touch-sensitive screen on the 4150, OneNote only has a version for WM5 and HP isn't going to upgrade the OS for the 4150 which is a problem given that WM6 is already out and the 4150 is on PPC2003.

I don't want a convergence device. They're too expensive. Plus I already have T-Mobile as a carrier and their WM5/6 device offerings are sparse.

I never use my PPC with my keyboard and monitor; it is useful to me because I can carry it around. Anchoring it to a keyboard and monitor nullifies that.