View Full Version : Alternatives to HP GPS software on HP 6955?

Birdman
03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
My 60 day free trial of the HP GPS software is almost expiring on my HP 6955 and while I am very happy with the software (although it often puts my on longer routes on major streets rather than taking me on shortcuts through side streets) before I spend the money on buying a licensed version, I was wondering if anyone had any experience and success in using some other third party GPS maps and software on the HP?

For example, I do have a copy of Destinator 6 (?) from some other purchase I made (ASUS 626). I was wondering if it could be loaded onto the HP and used with the built in GPS? Any thoughts, or should I just suck it up and buy the HP branded maps and software?

Richard76
04-07-2007, 04:15 PM
I am a big fan of iGuidance, especially because of their excellent Canadian maps. I also understand that the trial HP software is actually a light version of iGuidance, although I never tried it with my hw6955 because I already had iGuidance V3.

The full version of iGuidance gives you several routing options, such as shortest, fastest, toll roads, car pool lanes etc. which may have not been included in the HP version.

There are also other programs that have had good reviews such as Mapopolis and TomTom. Just make sure that whatever software you decide to try supports the square screen or else you will lose some of the information/functions along the bottom of the screen (as I did with version 2 of iGuidance before I upgraded to V3).